Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T-Tops have large gaps

Rob79er

I recently installed new Weatherstripping onto the T-tops and this seemed to go pretty well. The problem is that the tops are somewhat difficult to install (expected) and there seems like there is a large gap between the 2 T-tops at the top center where they meet. I would guess a half inch. Are there any adjustments that I can me made that I am not thinking of?
thanks

I think this is normal. Mine are fairly far "apart" in the center line, ie. they dont touch each other on top of the car. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in shortly to confirm or tell us how to adjust them.

:w
-Stefan

Give the new weatherstripping time to relax a bit, then adjust your tops. 1/2" gap seems too wide. The AIM has a page dealing with top adjustment.
:)

Looked through some manuals last night. GLASS tops should not be more than 1/2" apart down the center. FG tops should be no more than 1/3".

So, my glass tops are there (more or less)..

Rob79er: What type of T-Tops do you have ?

Looked through some manuals last night. GLASS tops should not be more than 1/2" apart down the center. FG tops should be no more than 1/3".

Mine (FG) are about an inch apart ! hmm.. I wonder if this is from the weatherstripping "shrinking".. or something else.. they allign fine and fit well ? However they do have some pieces that are rotted and one side has some rust issues.

Tom

The 1977 assembly manual says .06” constant between the two roof sections center and .06” constant between roof panels and rear roof line.
Brian

Mine are of the fiberglass type. There doesn't seem to be a lot available in the way of adjustments though.

Mine are of the fiberglass type. There doesn't seem to be a lot available in the way of adjustments though.

If you remove the inner panels it will expose the bayonnets that fit into the center T rail. Some adjustment can be made by loosening the bolts and sliding the top panels around.

If you remove the inner panels it will expose the bayonnets that fit into the center T rail. Some adjustment can be made by loosening the bolts and sliding the top panels around.
Yep...it may also require adding or removing some shims to get proper fitment.

Same Problem

I had the same problem when I redid my weather stripping on the T Tops, it was my fault though, I could not get the ttops to push back up in the way they were before. I had to carefully install the tops to make sure the weather stripping was as it should be, if you just shove them in there, the stripping pushes up against the inside edge of the T bar, its supposed to sit on TOP of the tbar, sit in your car and look up at the ttops seal on the Tbar and see what it looks like, I had to gently put the tops in and guide the weather stripping into place for them to fit as they should.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom