Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T-Tops

schweng18

Corvette
81 Frost Biege
I am looking for the forums experiences and recommendations for replacing my T-Tops, the passenger side glass is shattered (quite a traumatic experience). I see them posted on ebay once in a while, but would have a very tough time relying on a picture to pull the trigger on a purchase.
Thanks for any assistance.

the only ones you can find are the mirrored tops,and they look like gray from the inside up.they are going to cost about a $ 1000. for the pair.IF you have glass coverage on your vette you might want to try to get them thru the Ins co.
I've only seen a few of the blue ones,and they are in excess of that amount...
good luck...

Here is a place to look ;)

Melrose T-Tops

I have not called them, and I don't recall ever seeing a price sheet on their products.. that probably means $$$ nevertheless it may be worth a call ;shrug

Bud

When I bought my car the glass tops were originals that were cracked and unmatched, but usable. I later shattered them putting them in the back. I then found 2 sets on Ebay that had one good and one broken on opposite sides. They almost matched but I shattered one of them replacing the weather stripping. After this, I swore to do the Corvette community the favor of never touching original glass tops again.

It seems that no one can make original replacements because the glass contained hazardous stuff. The original ones still out there are becoming more and more rare (thanks to people like me). Also, the originals fade in color from dark blue to aqua to amber with sun exposure, so unless a set has been together from the start, they do not match. There are black and lexan replacements, but they look cheap to me. There is a company that makes a one peice top, but that seems strange. I found a company that specialized in collecting and matching original tops, but the price was sobering. In the end, the solution for me was a set of original fiberglass tops off Ebay. I was patient and actually found a set that was my original color and got them cheap. I replaced the weather stripping and dyed the interior panels to match. Here in Florida, the glass tops just intensified the r134 A/C problem, and the fiberglass is so much more durable and lighter, I have been very happy with the change.

God bless, Sensei

I'm also having issues with my tops as they are coming apart. The glass is pulling away from the hardware. I've tried a couple different types of adhesives with no luck. Due to the fact that I'm a corvette owner on a budget and paying 1000's plus for new tops is not an option. I found this link, Corvette t-tops replacements T-tops by Astro Tops Thompson Astro Tops Roof Panels for your corvette! This one piece acrylic top will only set you back around 400 bucks. This is the option I'm going to consider if i cant find some glue to hold mine together.

I think I would take the tops to a corvette restoration shop to at least see what they think...some jobs I tackle myself, others I at least get an experts opinion that has seen this before, especially with these glass tops. You may try Wilcox and see what they think, they have seen just about everything and work on a lot of sharks. I know they are far from you, but I have had a good experience with them.

Willcox Corvette, Inc. - Parts, Restoration, Help - "When you're not the biggest, You try harder"

For me it's the same answer as in the other topic :D

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Didn't know the glass could bent that much driving 70mph but it still is in one piece. I don't remember what kind of sealant I used then but today I would look for a good quality MS Polymer sealant. They also use this type of sealant to fix panels to a buildingfacade. It's very (VERY) strong and easy to work with. But before buying something always check how strong it is!

Groeten Peter

Well, I broke down and ordered the Mirrored Tops from MidAmerica. Cost $1,100, but they look good. I ordered them on Monday with standard shipping and they arrived on Thursday. MidAmerica sent them complete and with very good adjustment procedures. Thanks for all of the feedback and advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom