Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tach circuit board calibration

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
Anyone have any tips for calibrating a new circuit board? I had to replace mine recently since it stopped working and now it reads incorrect. I was going to use some leads so I can have the tach out but working and compare it to my meter and adjust as needed. Any reasons why that wouldn't work?
the tach was zeroed when the new board was fitted, and does read zero correctly.

I've replaced mine a couple of times and never had to calibrate it.
it just worked.

Search this topic on YouTube and you'll find a DIY tach board calibration video. It gets you close by showing connections and zeroing technique which is very straightforward. However, I was in your same. situation after installing it. The tach was nowhere near working properly. So, while sitting in the car, I removed the clear speedo/tach cover and then firmly but very carefully removed the tach needle. I already knew what it's normal idle RPM was so I started the car and while it was idling I just reinstalled the tach needle at the proper idle RPM. Presto!

On an unrelated topic, I had noticed that the tach board got pretty warm during the bench procedure while zeroing the tach with my 12 volt power source. It obviously draws some current, making me wonder if this would help explain why I can only power my radio for about 25 minutes - say, while doing a necessary diagnostic/repair (i.e. replacing power door actuator) and with the radio playing in the key on (not "six" mode -before the battery dies. Something draws a lot of current to kill a new, fully charged battery and I wonder if the tach board isn't the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the video about calibrating it. (the wilcox one). They were using a tool they make for doing it, but I didn't want to spend $200 plus shipping to NZ. I tried it the way I said above and it worked fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom