Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! tach inaccurate?

Corvette
1990 hatchback dark red
I think the tach on my 1990 L-98 reads too high, it will rev way beyond the red line, speedometer is still climbing. I have never kept accelerating until the "rev limiter" engages.

My question, is there an adjustment, or where should I look to correct the problem?

It idles at indicated 1400 rpm, I connected a tune-up tach to the distributer and it reads 675rpm at idle.

Help!!

thanks

George

GM tachs in Camero and Corvette around that time period are known to go bad. There are youtubes on how to repair them . If you can't repair it you need to remove the cluster and replace it or have it repaired. My 90 does the same thing , just haven't found the time to take care of it .

There is a resistor in the tach IC that goes bad. I've had to do the repair and it works like a charm. You will need to take the circuit board out of the dash and solder in resistor(s) of a specific value in a specific location. I had a local TV repairman I know do the board repair on mine once I pulled the board out. It entails some precise soldering.

Check out the previous posts or look on Utube as mentioned.

This is a very common problem.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom