Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tailshaft bushing replacement

revitup

Corvette
1977 white L82 4sp
I have a highway speed (70+) vibration which I've pretty much narrowed down to a worn tailshaft bushing on my M21 4-speed. There's quite a bit of slop when I push the driveshaft up and down where it enters the transmission extension. The oil seal is also shot. I'm pretty sure the seal can be replaced on the car but how about the bushing? Do I have to remove the extension? Can that be done without removing the transmission? Can anyone direct me to a good 'how-to'?

Is that where it mates up to the rear end?....that rubber puck in the rear end?
If it's what you are talking about, I maaaay be able to give you some advice.

revitup said:
I have a highway speed (70+) vibration which I've pretty much narrowed down to a worn tailshaft bushing on my M21 4-speed. There's quite a bit of slop when I push the driveshaft up and down where it enters the transmission extension. The oil seal is also shot. I'm pretty sure the seal can be replaced on the car but how about the bushing? Do I have to remove the extension? Can that be done without removing the transmission? Can anyone direct me to a good 'how-to'?

Normally, replacing the tailhousing bushing means removal/teardown of the transmission; however, Snap-On makes a special tool for removing/installing the bushing in the car after pulling the driveshaft; don't have the number handy, but your local Snap-On route guy will have it.

No problem to R&R the seal with the trans in the car.

:beer

I'll have to get under there and take another look at it. Stopped by my local Vette repair shop to ask them about it. They said they do this repair all the time (although not usually on cars with relatively low mileage like mine - 58K). They said it can't be done on the car and there isn't room to just remove the tailshaft because of the crossmember. The transmission has to come out. Quoted me $600. If that's the case guess I'm probably gonna live with the vibration for a little while.

I've got the same problem with my T-10. I get a slight drivetrain vibration at 70+ also. In my case the input bearing is shot too. I'm going to pull the tranny this winter and have it rebuilt.

I see you're in CT. Did you talk to Corvette Connection in Coventry?

Nope. Corvette Center in Newington. They've done the messy jobs I didn't want to tackle myself in the past and did a great job. Do you have experience with Covette Connection?

JohnZ said:
Normally, replacing the tailhousing bushing means removal/teardown of the transmission; however, Snap-On makes a special tool for removing/installing the bushing in the car after pulling the driveshaft; don't have the number handy, but your local Snap-On route guy will have it.

No problem to R&R the seal with the trans in the car.

:beer
I don't know the Tool # but most Transmission shops have it!!! I borrowed one form a friend at Jack Smith Transmission, last time I had to do one!!! It works on more than a Chevy 4 sp.!! Takes longer to get the drive shaft out of a C3 than to change the seal and bushing!!:upthumbs

revitup said:
Nope. Corvette Center in Newington. They've done the messy jobs I didn't want to tackle myself in the past and did a great job. Do you have experience with Covette Connection?

Yes I have, many times. I suggest you give them a call. I agree with junk, it's a pretty basic job. No need to spend $600.
tel no. is 860-646-0184. They're closed on Monday

Bill

Well, I replaced the tailshaft bushing in my quest to eliminate my high speed vibration problem. No difference. Guess my next move will be to replace both U-joints and have the driveshaft balanced unless someone has another suggestion. The front U-joint felt somewhat stiff when I tried to move it while the driveshaft was disconnected for the tailshaft bushing replacement.

After replacing the U joints in mine I still had a vibration at high speed, I had the driveshaft re-balanced and it made a SIGNIFICANT difference. Think it cost me around $70 or so. I still have a very slight one at 65-70 mph only when applying power or cruising that's driving me nuts!

Well, I replaced the tailshaft bushing in my quest to eliminate my high speed vibration problem. No difference. Guess my next move will be to replace both U-joints and have the driveshaft balanced unless someone has another suggestion. The front U-joint felt somewhat stiff when I tried to move it while the driveshaft was disconnected for the tailshaft bushing replacement.

A little more info:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1469866

Just an update on my efforts to cure my high speed vibration problem. Removed the OEM Spicer driveshaft u-joints. They looked good. Movement in the shaft yokes was a little stiff. Plenty of grease, no visible roller wear. There were some pretty deep wear marks on the outside of the cups where they were clamped indicating to me that the strap bolts were probably overtorqued. Replaced them with new Spicer non-greasable 'Life' series 1330 P/N 5-790X and had the driveshaft balance checked - it was fine. Vibration gone. Hallelujah.

Thanks. I'll be replacing my u-joints then when I pull the tranny this winter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom