Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tall Man 6'5" in 1962 Corvette, Possible?

T

The Ghost

Hi everyone. Glad to join this forum.

Since I was young I have always dreamt of owning 62 and now I have an opportunity financially to go look for one. I have driven in several 80s models up to the most recent but never in a C1.

I stand about 6'5" and weigh about 260lbs. I realize it’s a sports car and fit will be a bit tight, but I want to know if driving a 62 is possible? Or completely out of the question?

If you know of any related articles, or temporary modifications without ruining the vehicle, please let me know? Or better yet pictures of a tall guy, or if you are a tall guy, have pictures in one? That would be great.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much. Merry Christmas.

You will have to sit and see for yourself. I cannot drive a solid axle Corvette with a manual transmission. The steering wheel is large, and my legs are too big to be able to operate the clutch. I am 6'1" and 280#

I Recall..........

A while ago, this same question came up but with my CRS condition, I don't remember if it was solved. I know you can get after market steering wheels that are smaller but that may not be enough. Keep us posted, good luck, fortunately, I don't have the height problem so I fit in my 62;)

Hi everyone. Glad to join this forum.

Since I was young I have always dreamt of owning 62 and now I have an opportunity financially to go look for one. I have driven in several 80s models up to the most recent but never in a C1.

I stand about 6'5" and weigh about 260lbs. I realize it’s a sports car and fit will be a bit tight, but I want to know if driving a 62 is possible? Or completely out of the question?

If you know of any related articles, or temporary modifications without ruining the vehicle, please let me know? Or better yet pictures of a tall guy, or if you are a tall guy, have pictures in one? That would be great.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much. Merry Christmas.

Hello Ghost, don't know the answer to your question, as I've only dreamed about owning a C1, and besides fit wouldn't be a problem for me, but anyway :welcomeand I hope you find the Vette you are looking for.

Hello Ghost, don't know the answer to your question, as I've only dreamed about owning a C1, and besides fit wouldn't be a problem for me, but anyway :welcomeand I hope you find the Vette you are looking for.

thanks man. Does anyone have any links to information on this. Surely I'm not the only tall guy to want to drive a C1?

Someone should surely have a pic or two of a 6' plus guy in one of these..

.. subtext .. starting to lose hope ..

I'm 6' 2" @ 200lbs and fit in my 60 just fine. If I remember correctly (highly unlikely), the seats were changed slightly for the 61 & 62's to allow a little more leg room.

Hi,

I seriously doubt that you'll fit comfortably in a '62...primarily because of your height.

We have a '62 roadster in our shop right now (sold, but not shipped out yet). I'll take a camera to work tomorrow and have one of our guys sit in it, then send you the pictures. We don't have anyone that's 6'5", but you may get a good idea.

I'll be in touch tomorrow!

Elaine

i'm 6'5 250 and cant even think about it.when i was younger i had a 57 but had to remove the top to drive it and had a hard time getting in and out. i put a small wheel on it so i could get in. once you set in one you'll know right off.

Only you can decide that. You'll have to try one on for size. Yeah, it's going to be tight. Some thoughts.

1. Put your fanny in the seat first, with your legs on the ground. Then swing your legs in.

2. The stock 17" steering wheel does make it hard to get in. Your legs won't want to swing under. You can buy a 15" wheel from the usual Corvette parts suppliers.

3. You don't drive long distances in these cars.

4. You usually drive with the top down.

I see a gentleman that drives a sharp 58 to several outings a week and if he`s a pound, he is at least 290. And at approximately 6'1' height he does not appear to have any trouble driving the Vette. However, me at 6'1' and 215 lbs fit better with the hard top than with the soft top. My head hits the soft top bows every once in a while from rough bumpy roads here in Michigan.

You have to try one on.

Hey, another neighbour! Welcome to the CAC!! :upthumbs

-Mac

Sorry Ghost, I didn't even notice your home town. I was born in Burnaby, 53 years ago today (Xmas). I'm sure you've heard of it. That was when there was countryside between New Westminster, Burnaby and Vancouver. Now it's all one big city.

Sorry Ghost, I didn't even notice your home town. I was born in Burnaby, 53 years ago today (Xmas). I'm sure you've heard of it. That was when there was countryside between New Westminster, Burnaby and Vancouver. Now it's all one big city.
Happy Birthday!! Someone very important is reputed to have been born today as well, some 2000+ years ago... You two have anything in common? :D

You're right about it being one big city now. It starts north of the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal and continues right to the border... and a long way inland as well. The LMD isn't my cup of tea but the Mounties said "Go west, young man!" and here I am still...

-Mac

Happy Birthday!! Someone very important is reputed to have been born today as well, some 2000+ years ago... You two have anything in common? :D

You're right about it being one big city now. It starts north of the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal and continues right to the border... and a long way inland as well. The LMD isn't my cup of tea but the Mounties said "Go west, young man!" and here I am still...

-Mac

hey my friends.. thanks for the input.. love to see some pics for perspective. this is a very friendly forum. to that once again i wish you all a merry christmas and blessed new year to come.

.. indeeed burnaby is a nieghbor, i live in kitslano, 2 mins out of downtown. vancouver is georgeous, its very hard to leave here, kinda spoled to go skiing, mountain biking, boating and drag racing in one day .. and then dine at many great choices for westcoast foods..

.. tomorrow i will be visiting relatives on the sunshine caost, they know someone with a 62, so hopefully sit in that one and put this issue to rest ..

... in the meantime, if you have a second, any interesting or helpful info is much apprecatied. thankyou sincerely, The Ghost.

I'm 6'4", 240#.

I had a 54. Sold it, as it was VERY uncomfortable for a guy my size.

My neighbor and dear friend has had a bunch of Corvettes, among them 2 62's.

He still has one. I've driven them on a number of occasions.

VERY uncomfortable for a guy my size. I'm long in the torso. My trouser inseam is only 32".

I have to scrunch my head to fit if the top is up. Tough to shift gears too.

That being said, "try one on".

I fit just fine in my 63 and 69.

Chuck

The 53-57's had longer steering coloumns, the 58-62 had shorter coloumns, the 61-2 had two inches added to the passenger compartment. So the fit in a 53-7 was tight , 58-60 a little better, and 61-2 about the same as a midyear. Hope this helps.But you should try one on for size. Good luck!

I got the WiseGuy seats first to try them out. Ended up sending them to Al Knoch for their version. Knoch takes the seat frames and modifies the top portion to make them a left and right to clear the soft top brackets.....here is my seat that they did for my '60 along with the door panels.....

IMG_1266Small-vi.jpg

In 1960, my undergraduate college roommate was 6'4" and about 220 lbs. He absolutely could not fit in my 56 vette. When I was in graduate school, he purchased a 62 red 4 speed with soft top only. He said that the 62 fit him perfectly. One comment Zora Arkus-Duntov made in the closing of the record "Sounds of Corvette" in 1961 was that the 61 corvette added more room for the benefit of tall people. The 62 was the same interior as should fit a tall person. I agree with the other posts, you have to try it out and make sure it fits you. I am fortunate to be 5'10", so I fit in most all of the vettes. Riding in Rowdy's vette was a blast at CruiseFest 07. It had been 42 years since I had been in a C1. Loved the ride.
Good luck on your search.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom