Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tank Sticker. What's really on it?

T

Tim73454

I have always been under the impression that the tank sticker was the build sheet. I took my car to a "Corvette shop" in Dallas and was told that the tank sticker only dealt with the tank. I was told it would tell me where the tank was built and how much gas it would hold.

What's the deal??? Is it true for older vettes but not my '73?

Tim73454

I won't pretend to answer for all cars, but when I was working on the rear of my 80, I pulled on the piece of paper hanging from the forward end of the tank (glued on the top of the tank) and mine came off. It lists all the options built into the car, original destination (Dealership) and other stuff that I believe you can use to get a reproduction window sticker.

At the time, I had the spare tire carrier out, the Trailing arms out and rear end out, and it was pretty easy to see.

Hope my $.02 helps.

Steve :w

Tim,

That is the biggest bunch of horse crud that I've ever heard. The Build Sheet is the Holy Grail. It will list precisiely what options, codes, colors, dates, delivery data, (i.e. the works) for each car. A repro winder sticker for a '73 will not be a true sticker like the ones you can order for '82 to present model years from the NCM. But with the Build Sheet, there are a couple outfits that will recreate one for you from the Build Sheet data. I can't believe a "Corvette Shop" told anybody that drivel. Get that sheet if at all possible. Remember on a '73 it's been under your car for almost 30 years. It will likely be very dry and brittle. Removing it intact will be a challange but well worth the effort and patience to get it. Good Luck.

................ Nut

Tim,
Time to find another "Corvette Shop". Those guys have no idea of what they are talking about.

tom...

Nut said:
Tim,

The Build Sheet is the Holy Grail.
;stupid
You sure it was a vette shop? or was it a chop shop?
Paul

That's what I thought! And yes it was a real Corvette shop in Dallas. It is located in Carrollton (just north of Dallas) on I35.
Corvettes are all they sell and work on and they have been in business for years!!!!! I had already decided not to use them on my engine swap and I'm going to use Performance Restoration in San Antonio. I drove down and looked them over and they do GREAT work!!!!!

Thanks

Tim73454

I retired from GM after 34 years the build sheet list all the parts that are to be installed on the car , so the operator on the line knows what parts are to be installed,options etc.They are found on the gas tanks under the rear seats, instrument panel etc.

There are two different pieces of paper we're talking about - the "tank sticker" is actually a copy of the order confirmation copy that was sent to the dealer when the car was actually scheduled for production (says "Corvette Order Copy" on it) that shows the style, color, trim, and option descriptions, in much the same text manner as they're shown on the price sticker, but it doesn't have the VIN on it, as the VIN wasn't assigned until the car was actually on the line. The "build sheet" is the assembly "broadcast copy", which has all the little boxes on it with numerical or alpha character codes in each box which showed the guys on the line exactly which individual part went on that particular car; the numerical codes were usually the last couple of digits of the part number, and the alpha codes were the 2-digit "broadcast code" that was actually stamped on the part or was on a sticker on the part. The "Broadcast Copy" also has that car's VIN number on it. It's very rare to find a Broadcast Copy, as they were hanging or taped all over the car where the assemblers could see them, and were pitched in the trash at the end of the line; sometimes on C3's one can be found stuffed inbetween the tach and speedo on the back of the cluster.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom