Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tank Sticker

B

BBB454

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum. I have a '71 convertible, 454 4-speed, Bridgehampton Blue / black int / white ragtop / with hardtop.

I'm sorry my question is so stupid, but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere... I keep hearing about a "tank sticker" that sounds like it would be very interesting to find, but where is it supposed to be located??? I would like to find out more about my car and that sounds like a good place to start. I don't want to start tearing my car apart to find it until I know where to look!

Thanks!! :w

welcome

Hi Barbie,
Welcome to CAC, this site is full of Corvette information and friendly people. I am learning about Corvettes, myself...but it sounds like a tank sticker would be on your gas tank.
I've heard of build sheets in other posts that are put in strange andn innaccessable places, like the top of gastanks, inside frame rails, etc...
Someone here will be alble to answer your question, but not me. :)

Heidi aka:Silver

Welcome!

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center, BBB.

This is a great place and I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of response to your post - there's a lot of C3s here! :D

You might find the "tank sticker", aka "build sheet", above the gas tank for one, another place is behind the seat back. In the C4s it can sometimes be found in the frame rail.

If you can find it, it is usually in pretty bad shape after all these years, so be careful. The NCM doesn't have build sheets going back as far as your year Corvette, I believe.

Good luck on your search, and by the way, show us some pictures. :D

Hi Heidi, thanks for the "welcome". I should have mentioned that I am guessing the "tank sticker" is on the gas tank, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what parts of the car need to be removed to find it! ha

I'm looking forward to being a member here!

BBBarbie :)

Hi Barbie, I'm Barbie too!

Oh boy, I can see where this is going to be confusing.:(
Anyway, welcome to CAC, lots of cool people here.
:w

And what a coincidence, I just pulled my tank sticker/build sheet on my '90, and still have to update the page.

www.geocities.com/usalongfortheride/usalongforther/Page_12x.html

When I put it back I included a special present just in case some other owner in the future decides to look for it. :D Since the guys have numerous clubs of their own, perhaps we should start one. LOL

Barbie

Welcome!

Love it...another woman to join our ranks!! And who ever said Corvettes was a man's world?!! You'll love it here, Barbie...lots of nice people, interesting information, and on and on! Rob does a fantastic job with this forum.

Elaine

Barbie,

Since you have the older style gas filler neck you should be able to see it without dropping the tank. Remove the rubber surround on the filler, take a flashlight and look over on the passenger side of the gas tank...that's the most common location. Here's a picture of what mine was like when I dropped the gas tank. http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/tech2/gas3.JPG It was covered in 20 years worth of dust and extremely brittle. I removed it by very gently wetting it down and very carefully using a razor blade to scrape off the glue.

Don't expect it to be any good though, mine is an 81 and it was almost unreadable. Unfortunately GM doesn't have all the old records from the St. Louis plant so you can't get a reproduction made. The good news is that you can get a window sticker made for any year as long as you know what options you have and a few other things.

Welcome

BigBlockBarbie,

Welcome to the forums. I found the tank sticker on top of the left side of the fuel tank on my '67. Either way it should be visible with a flashlight after removing the fill neck seal. I dropped my tank and spent a couple hours removing it without damage. Many people have found theirs too far gone to salvage. Good luck.

Tom:w

Barb now

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the great info on the tank sticker!

In order to avoid confusion between myself and the "senior" Barbie , I have had my userid changed from BigBlockBarbie to BBB454, and I will sign my posts "Barb" instead of "Barbie".

Thanks again and I look forward to talking to you all more!

Barb :J

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom