Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tar and Road Grime

Chick B.

Corvette
1998, coupe, white
I have a white 1998 coupe. Picked up some grime/tar that I can't get off of one wheel well and a portion of the fender. The paint is like it's just been driven off of the dealer lot. Bottom line, I don't want to use anything that's going to cause problems for my finish. Thoughts, ideas, products that will remove this tough stuff without damaging the paint? In advance, thanks, for your help.

I have a white 1998 coupe. Picked up some grime/tar that I can't get off of one wheel well and a portion of the fender. The paint is like it's just been driven off of the dealer lot. Bottom line, I don't want to use anything that's going to cause problems for my finish. Thoughts, ideas, products that will remove this tough stuff without damaging the paint? In advance, thanks, for your help.
Soak it with WD-40. :thumb
Don't get it on your rotors!:thumb:thumb

:beer

I'm gonna try WD-40 on mine too. That tar is annoying especially on white! :mad

I have used several products to remove tar, oil, blobs(?), etc. Most successful with 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, and believe it or not, some of my wife's cold cream removed a particulaly difficult wad of something black and sticky. And they put that stuff on their face.

Road hazzard & paint ?

A few years back I accidently ran over a still wet yellow road line, (the township crew painted it and moved the red cones before it was dry). It was all down the drivers side rocker panel and I got out some cardboard to lay down on and I used WD-40 and an old credit card as a scraper and it took two hours, but the WD-softened it to the point the credit card made all the spots 'pop' as they came off. I really watch myself and where I steer now.

On bad spots, I will use mineral spirits soaked rag. Then I clean it up good and re-apply sealant and wax.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom