Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Tearing Down the Top End-Winter Project

krscholz

Corvette
75 Corvette Coupe, 383 Stroker
Has anyone got pictures for tearing down the top end of their motor? I.e., manifold removal, heads and most importantly fan and shroud. Also, have you got any tips I can use. I want to install a new cam, springs etc.
What I'm mainly concerned about is the radiator removal. Thanks, Ken

What year? Filling out your profile would help.
In general:
To get the Rad out, remove the hood, remove the top barckets that hold the rad to core support. Remove the bolts holding the shroud to the support. Remove hoses (drain coolant). Depending on year, remove the Rad and shroud as a unit. Takes 2 people. To make it even easier, you can remove all the bolts holding the core support and tilt it forward to get more room for the rad outlet to clear the A-arm.

What year? Filling out your profile would help.
In general:
To get the Rad out, remove the hood, remove the top barckets that hold the rad to core support. Remove the bolts holding the shroud to the support. Remove hoses (drain coolant). Depending on year, remove the Rad and shroud as a unit. Takes 2 people. To make it even easier, you can remove all the bolts holding the core support and tilt it forward to get more room for the rad outlet to clear the A-arm.

Thanks, I updated the info on the car and thanks for the information.

Contact Vette79 (Jeff) - he did an excellent top end rebuild recently... he maaay have some pics to share.

Ralph

Thanks for the referal - I'll get in touch with Jeff.

You have exactly the same avatar as big2bird on another forum?

Contact Vette79 (Jeff) - he did an excellent top end rebuild recently... he maaay have some pics to share.

Ralph
Thanks Ralph. I have almost step by step pics of the removal and installation process if needed. When your ready just contact me.

On my 1982 I can get the radiator, shroud, brackets, and fan out without removing the hood.

I also removed the water pump and fan assembly to get more room. Hope you don't have a/c on your car, it gives you more room without the condensor in the way. I usually pull the radiator and then the shroud, but I am doing this by myself and would reccomend a helper on that part to defer any damage to the radiator. (This kills my back doing this job!)

I also removed the water pump and fan assembly to get more room. Hope you don't have a/c on your car, it gives you more room without the condensor in the way. I usually pull the radiator and then the shroud, but I am doing this by myself and would reccomend a helper on that part to defer any damage to the radiator. (This kills my back doing this job!)

Thank you?

Yep, if it's original it is bound to be heavy and you would need two people. I removed my aluminum radiator out myself. As mentioned, if you remove the radiator first then the shroud is easier to remove. Post pics of your progress!

A thick piece of cardboard on the sides of the radiator helps protect the fins from damage, (not bullet proof though).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom