Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Teaser

UPDATE

UPDATE

Well after not getting calls returned, I finally got in touch with the sales manager who then referred me right to the owner. I told him the story.

Anyway a few hours later I got a call from the original sales guy who said "if we don't have the money friday by 5pm the car is yours, I'll call you first thing monday morning or you can call me."

Well guys Ive seen this before and Im not getting my hopes up yet so we'll just have to wait a little bit longer to see what happens.

If it's right, it's right!

S&S, I hope everything works out ok for you.

Here's my couple cents worth...

If the deal falls through with the 1st potential buyer, you've got leverage and tons of it. By this I mean, they will not want to keep the car for another month. You could, within reason, name your price on that car. Whatever has been offered initially, I'm thinking that it's possible to get another $2k off of that price. Of course, this will mean spending the better part of an afternoon at the dealership and running the initial sales dude, his sales mgr and the general manager through the ringer, but it'll be worth it.

You have every right to ask them to pull that car into a service bay and put it up on a lift. Any scrape and scratch... you know the drill! They know that you seriously want the car and if you go to the dealership for that afternoon, then decide to "walk".. I'm pretty confident that they'll attempt to pull you back in. I absolutely hate going through the process of buying new/used cars because of the ridiculous antics the dealer will try to pull, but if four hours is worth $2k, that's a lot of dough back in your pocket!

My experience is that if a dealer is at the end of the month and certain quotas have not been met, they are verrry willing to make sure that you take the car. The last time I attempted to buy a car I beat the living daylights out of the dealership employees (not literally) and came within a thousand dollars of my "deal" price. After going through all that, I simply told the guys, "no deal" and they tried to throw this in, throw that in, whatever. The bottom line price was the only thing I was worried about. Oil changes, free inspections.. who cares. If the dealer was/is reputable, wouldn't they just sell the car outright to begin with? So, long story longer, I bailed out. Five minutes later they're calling me on the cell phone with a price reduction yadda yadda yah... I got home while I was still on the phone with those guys, got my mail on the way in the door, found an unexpected property tax increase notice, and told the dealership guys, no way! They met my demands after all and I still walked.

So, that's my dissertation on dealing the dealership. Kick'em in the nuts for all it's worth. You're buying something that they absolutely do not want to hang on to, buy it at your price!

patience

when i bought my seller started at $59,000 in 95 on a fully loaded 91 convertable months later i bought it at 37,500 plus shipping. these cars are not in demand yet.

Is that it?? Did you get it??

It is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luigi

I'll know on monday....they said they'd call first thing or I can call them. They open at 830am :D

The blue 89 is currently listed again for 38k which is way out of my reach. If this deal falls thru, Im stuck. :( I'll be waiting for another few months I guess.

What part of NY is this car located at?? Before you fly up here.. we could send an anonymous shopper there to check it out. At the same time, of course, we'd tell the dealer that we're verrrrry familiar with Callaways... and it's "not worth much at all, in fact about 10g's less than what they're asking" Some stragetic shopping there could save you some dough.

I'm guessing you know the history of the car and have seen some digital photos of the thing up close?? I'm always up for a road trip to do car shopping. Let us know!

Eric,

the car is located in Albany. Feel free to come up there too....So far we've got Kevin, Chris, and Pete checking to see if it will fit their schedules. We could make it a mini CAC-Callaway forum reunion, to watch me buy a car :L :L :L That is if they finally decide to sell it to me tomorrow.:eyerole

Josh

16 hrs and counting

Unfortunately the first weekend I'll be able to go up is the 27-28th. But its all up in the air.....I haven't heard from them since thursday. Good thing Im exhausted or I probably wouldn't sleep tonight :D I do feel pretty good about it, b/c the guy has missed so many deadlines already.

S&S, get some rest! On Sunday the 29th, I have a "seafood & more" cruise in Washington DC but Fri and Sat, I am free.
Did you plan on driving the car home that weekend if you wind up buying it?
Let me know if you need anything. CC.

The dealer seems to have a couple goofballs working there. You know what they say.. it starts rotting from the head back... Buy it for much less than what they're asking. Do us all a favor, and put the screws to them. They deserve it after jerking you around..

They are yanking your chain... No dealer in their right mind would hold a car for a dead beat buyer for this long. Especially with you beating on their door to buy it. There is something up they are not telling you.

What about a new consipiracy theory for this akward dealer behavior???

Could they have test driven it and either broke it or crashed it and are getting it fixed and are using this ploy to buy time??

Luigi

ROAD TRIP!! CALLAWAY EVENT!

Who's going?

CC wants a commitment for the next Callaway event. I think this is it, no?

I can picture four or five of us meeting at the dealership, drinking all their coffee, test driving the Callaway all day long, putting it up in the air in the service bays, and finding another nice waitress at the local diner to memorize my name... "uhhh, can we have a menu too please?"

Eric,

Unless she had a rough life I think you can do better than that waitress! ;)

Although drink enough of those Ying Ling Things and I suppose she looks better/younger.

:beer

Luigi
:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom