Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tech 2 and Torque Management Question

C5Wanabe

Corvette
I'm Looking
I have been lurking the forum and shopping for a C5 for about 3 months and now, I am finally buying a pewter 99 A4 Coupe with 3:15s and Can’t wait to bring it home.

The dealer has a Tech 2 and is willing to program settings into the PCM before I pick up the car, but he really does not have a working knowledge of all the capabilities of the Tech 2.

I want to have a TransGo kit installed and I would like to reduce or eliminate the effect of Torque Management (TM) that is imposed by the PCM during transmission shifts. I would also like to reduce the kick down lag when going WOT in drive.

Can anyone explain what menus in the Tech 2 to enter for TM, and what values to enter to disable TMs effect on the A4? The only mods I plan to do are TransGo, air box and cat back exhaust.

Also, can you recommend any other parameters, e.g. (Temp., timing, etc.) that could be modified with the Tech 2 to enhance the performance of a DD? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I really want to take advantage of this opportunity to adjust the PCM settings.

After lurking for so long, it feels very nice to actually post a message as a 1st time C5 owner.

Thanks for any assistance.
Dennis Roberts

maybe think about leaving torque managment,it saves alot of wear on the trans in city driving.i think that when you shut off the traction control,your also shutting off T/M,i think at WOT it also shuts off,thats why im leaving mine.the other stuff you mentioned sounds good,maybe c4/c5 spec will read this,and give you the info your looking for.he would know,later, Todd.

HI there,
Well, first off, Torque management is a program by which there is a reduction in power, to save wear and tear on internal powertrain components.
Now, if for some reason, the driver begins to get agressive, then this feature kicks in. There is nothing that can be programmed with the Tech 2 to reduce or eliminate this feature. It is there for very important reasons, which I have only listed one.
Now, as for your Transgo, this is a very good mod for Corvette. Using the heavy duty mode of programming, and NOT the street strip version, you will find very crisp shifts, and alot less shift lag. On a car with 3.15, a decrease of .50 sec can be found on the 1-2 WOT shift.
HOWEVER, I must stress, that if the internal components of the transmission are not at their best, the installation of the kit could result in a failure of internal components, due to stresses induced by the kit.
If there is over 20k of driving, I would strongly recommend your Corvette mechanic drive and inspect the car BEFORE you install the kit. This would entail removing the filter, and opening it up to check for internal material that has made it to the filter. Just looking in the bottom of the pan is NOT an option. The filter must be opened for accurate inspection. Obviously, you will have to pay for a new one, but it will be worth the effort knowing you have a good transmission base, by which to modify it.
As far as PCM reprogramming, simply as them to install the latest updated programming for the PCM, and leave it at that. There have been alot of problems when people start playing with the GM computer calibrations, and I would NOT recommend this course of action.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Thanks for the input guys. C4/C5, I will take your advise and check the tranny filter for any metal particles before having the TransGo installed. By the way, what is your opinion regarding the use of Synthetic oil in the tranny?

Thanks Again
Dennis Roberts

HI there,
Synthetic fluid is also a debatable mod, due to inaccurate assessments of automatic transmissions.
As long as your transmission is in good condition, installation of the synthetic is very good for the unit, and will provide improved thermal stability at higher rpms.
As long as you are doing this, I would suggest it.
If you can post a pic of the filter, this would be the best, so there is nothing lost in transition. YOu are really not only looking for metal particles, you want to be looking for alot more.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom