Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TECH HELP!!! (long)

C598LS1

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver C5 Coupe MN6
Ok....i'm not sure what to do here. First off, my C5 is a 1998, has about 13,600 miles. Its pampered, but driven like it was meant to. With that said, naturally, anything like this would concern me.

A couple weeks ago, i ran over a small boulder(sounds strange) but it was a small boulder, probably the size of a cantelope or pineapple. Regardless, i could not avoid it, b/c it was a "last second" scenario, nor could i swerve out of the way, b/c of a car next to me in the right lane....no time to break. So, to my dismay, i ran over it at around 35-40mph. No check engine lights came on, and i didnt notice a drop in performance. when i reached my destination, i immmediately checked the front, sides and back of the car, looking all over underneath to see if anything was leaking/broken-because as i drove over it, you could feel it hitting the underside of the car and even picking it up a bit perhaps(could've been my imagination, not sure). I did not notice any leaks, and i watched it over the next several days. Nothing seemed damaged from my vantage point (on my stomach) front to back, side to side. Not even an indent in the floor.

Now comes what i've noticed. Imagine the sound a spark plug wire makes when you have the engine on, but one end is NOT on the spark plug, and you see the blue spark in front of you while its making that "ticking" sound as the car is running. I have noticed that when i am in 1st gear pulling out of a parking spot, or in reverse when backing into one, it makes this ticking noise. Its very audible. Not sure about 2nd or any of the other gears-i'd be driving too fast at that point. Today, it seemed like it has gotten louder. When i first heard it after the incident, i thought it might have been the exhaust, a small hole put in it from the boulder...so i put it in neutral and revved the motor, but it did not make the noise at all. Sure enough, 1st gear and reverse it did.

What could this be? This is very very nervewracking, b/c i keep my cars in immaculate conditon, and nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I hope i did not do severe damage. Please help.

I notice you are in North Brunswick. I'm not sure if you are paranoid about bringing your car to a dealer service center, but Dayton Cheverolet on Rt 130 on the border of North and South Brunswick has a very good (and honest) servoce facility, and they are Corvette knowledgeable. Just a suggestion, as with a noise like this the car probably needs to go up on a lift and be examined.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Definately get it on a hoist (by someone who knows how lift a vette properly) and check for damage. Putting it on an aligment rack would be a good idea. Check all your fluids front to rear. Any major damage could be covered by insurance.

Geneus said:
I notice you are in North Brunswick. I'm not sure if you are paranoid about bringing your car to a dealer service center, but Dayton Cheverolet on Rt 130 on the border of North and South Brunswick has a very good (and honest) servoce facility, and they are Corvette knowledgeable. Just a suggestion, as with a noise like this the car probably needs to go up on a lift and be examined.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

I'm very familiar with Dayton Chevrolet. After i bought my car from them, i had scheduled service done, and at that time, i didnt trust them. So i formed a bad opinion. I hope they have changed since that time.

Any idea though at to what this might be?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom