Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Telescoping sterring wheel and the horn

Heyblue

Corvette
Had to replace the key cylinder so took things apart, I thought I paid attention to the order of things, but not convinced. Also not sure if previous owner took it apart and weather he put it back together right. A clue is the steering wheel was on upside down.
I have the shop manual also. The first thing I had to do is buy a set screw to replace the star one that locks the telescoping shaft, otherwise the tool didn't have long enough legs to press the lock plate down.
My issue; it seems that the horn will never work when the steering wheel is telescoped out, in fact because of the spacers it may never make contact.
The order from the outside going in on my car is Horn button, 2 screws holding the telescope lever, the lever, the nut holding the steering wheel, the steering wheel, a clip ring, two Teflon washers sandwiching a spacer. the c ring holding the plate, the plate, a plastic assembly with medal plate on bottom (towards front of car) with tabs passing through the pressure plate.
According the the shop manual there may be another assembly in the mix that is missing above the pressure plate.
Any clues?

Had to replace the key cylinder so took things apart, I thought I paid attention to the order of things, but not convinced. Also not sure if previous owner took it apart and weather he put it back together right. A clue is the steering wheel was on upside down.
I have the shop manual also. The first thing I had to do is buy a set screw to replace the star one that locks the telescoping shaft, otherwise the tool didn't have long enough legs to press the lock plate down.
My issue; it seems that the horn will never work when the steering wheel is telescoped out, in fact because of the spacers it may never make contact.
The order from the outside going in on my car is Horn button, 2 screws holding the telescope lever, the lever, the nut holding the steering wheel, the steering wheel, a clip ring, two Teflon washers sandwiching a spacer. the c ring holding the plate, the plate, a plastic assembly with medal plate on bottom (towards front of car) with tabs passing through the pressure plate.
According the the shop manual there may be another assembly in the mix that is missing above the pressure plate.
Any clues?

In your discretion you never mentioned the large spring that is your contact for your horn to the column, if your steering wheel was mounted upside down could be the reason the old hack didn't include it and left out. the tip of the spring goes in to the steering wheel though the tube the horn button contact connects. see attached link.

Steering Column - Corvette Parts And Accessories

If my suspicions are correct your column maybe out 180 at the rack or some were else, or the guy was an idiot there should be a "O" so ever slight nick of the face of the column it should be toward the top probably a little right of center if column Is correctly installed.

Last edited:
Well the obvious main problem is the spring is missing. That would answer my basic question about how the horn SW would connect to the horn circuit.I will try to find one.Thanks

Well the obvious main problem is the spring is missing. That would answer my basic question about how the horn SW would connect to the horn circuit.I will try to find one.Thanks

Do yourself a favor and do a Google or Bing search 85 Corvette steering column then review the blow ups and account for all parts involved, who knows what kind of sins lie with in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom