Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

*** temp sensor help??????????

V

vettedude

I have a 84 crossfire and I just noticed that my sensor on the (front) of the intake manifold...(2 wire)

I noticed that BOTH wires had been spliced and twisted together

The car has been like that for years with no problem:ugh

can some body tell me what sensor it is ?

And any ideas on why the wires were twisted together?

If you twisted the wires together, what would it do?
tempsensor.jpg

I just went through this in my car....that sensor is the coolant sensor that communicates with the ECM

So its a cooling sensor for the ecm.

my car was running good with them twisted together

Any ideas what happens if you twist them together, (anybody)////

**thanks

The coolant temp sensor is very important, it take the place of a choke on a carb'ed engine. When the coolant is cold, the sensor will have alot of resistence. The ecm sees this & adds fuel by increasing the injector pulse widths. When the coolant is hot, the resistence in the sensor is low telling the ecm to shorten the pulse widths. A hot engine will run on less gas then a cold one. The way your car is wired it should be hard to start unless you live where its very warm out, possibly it shouldn't run at all. You can up grade to a newer style sensor & connector as the one on your 84 is troublesome. I think the newer style came out in 85-86 up GMs.

im just going to stick a 640 resistor in place of the sensor

the ecm will belive the engine is at 140 degrees:D

the engine runs good now---we will see how she runs at 140 degrees

I just noticed this thread, Hope someone is still looking at it.

For sure the temp sensor is nothing to fool with in my part.

Mine was defected and it was running that rich that the

catalytic convertor was orange hot on the pipe coming out of it.

Not good.

Exhaust tail pipe has soot buildup. What does it mean? How to fix? Advanced timing setting?

Exhaust tail pipe has soot buildup. What does it mean? How to fix? Advanced timing setting?
I just noticed this thread, Hope someone is still looking at it.

For sure the temp sensor is nothing to fool with in my part.

Mine was defected and it was running that rich that the

catalytic convertor was orange hot on the pipe coming out of it.

Not good.

It probably is running rich, these injection systems are senstive vacuum leaks. I'd check all the hoses & grab the throttle linkages & see if there loose, a common problem.
Check the coolant temp sensor, these have an early style connector thats been a problem. You can splice in a newer style connector & use the newer sensor.
Check the grounds carefully, there are some usually at the back of the heads, these are for the ecm.
Check your tune up parts, check ignition timing (follow the directions on emissions sticker), & make sure it advances when you rev it (after you hook the timing connector back up).
When running the engine, look at the injectors, they should spray a fine mist, no drips, if there are drips then the injectors are dirty. There should be no drips after the engine is off.

rich running motor

It probably is running rich, these injection systems are senstive vacuum leaks. I'd check all the hoses & grab the throttle linkages & see if there loose, a common problem.
Check the coolant temp sensor, these have an early style connector thats been a problem. You can splice in a newer style connector & use the newer sensor.
Check the grounds carefully, there are some usually at the back of the heads, these are for the ecm.
Check your tune up parts, check ignition timing (follow the directions on emissions sticker), & make sure it advances when you rev it (after you hook the timing connector back up).
When running the engine, look at the injectors, they should spray a fine mist, no drips, if there are drips then the injectors are dirty. There should be no drips after the engine is off.
I'm using this as a checklist. Takes me a week or so. I'll let you know Thanks

Fix the CTS wireing and solder the wires. Using a fixed resistor will cause a rich fuel mixture and eventually destroy the enternals of you engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom