Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Temperature gauge going up and down

Johnny605

Corvette
1982 corvette collector edition
Have a 82 CE, and problem with the temperature gauge. Either in park or driving, the temperature will rise to 230 degrees, the back dowm to 195. Have install new termostat, sensor, and gauge. Did a flow test when the engine was cold, no fluids was moving until the engine was at operating temperature. Check the fan clutch and when the engine stop, so did the fan. After driving the car, was able to touch the radiator return hose without burning myself. Don’t know where to go from here.

I would check the radiator and make sure it is not plugged..
Is it the original?????
that what it sounds like from your description.
also make sure all your air dams are in place.

My needle was bouncing around the other day, and it was a bad connection at the temp sensor. I pinched the connector to make it tight, and it's ok now. It wouldn't hurt to check.

I owned a Chevy pickup with a 350. My temp gauge would fluctuate, but I wasn't alarmed. I was changing valve seals, and I notice one of my plugs was washed clean. When I removed the head I discovered a crack in the water jacket, and it was going out the exhaust. I probably could have driven the truck indefinitly, but that was the cause in this case. I was also ever so slightly loosing coolant.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom