Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tender For Gel Batteries-Optima

B/STOCK

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red Vert & 2015 DSOM Coupe Z51-3LT
I bought a new yellow top and am wondering if I should use my older battery tenders on it. I have a large charger that says Not for Gel Batteries. I used a regular battery tender on it and it seems like it never shows fully charged and the tender gets quite hot. The battery starts the car like a champ but I want to make sure I don't damage it using a non dedicated GEL charger. Thanks a lot.

I bought a new yellow top and am wondering if I should use my older battery tenders on it. I have a large charger that says Not for Gel Batteries. I used a regular battery tender on it and it seems like it never shows fully charged and the tender gets quite hot. The battery starts the car like a champ but I want to make sure I don't damage it using a non dedicated GEL charger. Thanks a lot.

I would use a tender that is compatible with AGM style batteries.

LLC5 any suggestions.

LLC5 any suggestions.

I have a Battery Tender brand, Yuasa also. Any brand name AGM battery tender should work fine. I would stay away from cheap/bargain off brands because this is an important piece of equipment.

My battery tenders all say (in the small print on the unit) only for use with lead acid batteries. Is the AGM battery and glass mat batteries different? I also have a large charger that states Not for use with gel batteries but has a switch for regular or agm batteries? I an too old for this. I have to find a place that tells me the different between the types of batteries and care for them.

My battery tenders all say (in the small print on the unit) only for use with lead acid batteries. Is the AGM battery and glass mat batteries different? I also have a large charger that states Not for use with gel batteries but has a switch for regular or agm batteries? I an too old for this. I have to find a place that tells me the different between the types of batteries and care for them.

AGM is a lead acid battery that has glass mats absorbing the solution, so no spilling or maintenance is required. They charge at different rates than flooded lead acid batteries and should be charged with a charger designed for AGM's. I myself am not a fan of AGM batteries as that when they go bad they tend to give you no warning and a flooded battery does, just my opinion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom