Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Texas Smog Laws

jnenni

Corvette
I have a 79 with an L-48 engine. Here in California, I am told I cannot replace my engine with a crate motor, because it will violate the smog rules. I am moving to Austin Texas next month. Does anyone know what the rules in Texas are on this for a 79?

Your input is appreciated.

Two Speed Idle tests are required for cars 1995 and older in Travis county (Austin).....this test measures hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide....
I believe though, since your car is 28 years old you should be able to apply for classic status which will exempt you from yearly smog checks. That way you can install what you want...
In my case, I have 1968 license plates on the car and I have to get the yearly safety inspection only and renew my tags.....

Check out www.txdot.state.tx.us and look up classic auto registration.

Welcome to the Lone Start state (soon)

Here in the "Pan Handle" ;) we run what we brung :lou

I moved here from Modesto, CA and the only thing I needed on Rare (1981) was a State Inspection (Safety Inspection @ $12.50) same for the other 2 newer vehicles.

I could have applied for Classic Plates but opted for Veteran Plates instead. Many of my nieghbor have hotrods and modified new stuff, most have there cats removed.. Amarillo is Car Friendly City ;) lot's of Hot Rods and Plenty of Corvettes and monthly cruise night, first Saturday of the Month with a different car club hosting the get together :Steer

It is probably a little different in the "Big" Cities but out here :beer

WE LOVE it here in Texas :dance :upthumbs

Bud

Wow, you guys are serious, here in Oklahoma, there is no inspection at all!!!!

Cheers

Richard

Just wait!
They'll figure it out eventually....

Actually Texas isn't that bad, it's just in the counties surrounding some of the big cities.....several more counties will be added as the population grows...

here in Ma it is nearly as bad as cai but we are exempt after 83 steve

Move to Hays County like I did and you won't have to worry about it. They don't check the tailpipe on any of my cars. An alternative is Bastrop Co. (east), I think they check in Williamson Co. - not sure.

The area SW of town (Buda area) seems to be the least of all available evils when it comes to commuting to work and general levels of traffic congestion. I'd say NW of town and straight North of town is the worst. If you won't be working up north, I certainly wouldn't live up that way. JMHO of course. I've live here almost 18 years. Be happy to discuss it further if you want. Shoot me an e-mail.

later

....I am told I cannot replace my engine with a crate motor, because it will violate the smog rules. I am moving to Austin Texas next month. Does anyone know what the rules in Texas are on this for a 79...

...Oh yeah, and to answer your real question... I have a ZZ4 in my '73. No problems. Even if they ever do become concerned in the future, I haven't run across an inspector yet that had enough going for him that he could tell the motor wasn't original when it had a carb... Even after I installed the Street & Performance "Tunnel Ram" fuel injection intake manifold some still don't pick up on it. I think for most that work in the auto industry they really are not car nuts like us. You know who you're dealing with pretty quickly in most situations. Its like when you go into O'Reilly's or Autozone to buy a part and the counter guy asks you " who makes a corvette..? Is that a Subaru? "

For them, "its not an adventure, its just a job."

Welcome to Texas
lone73

Does anyone know what the rules in Texas are on this for a 79?
Only the DFW, Houston, Austin, and El Paso areas have emission testing. But, even in those areas, cars 25 years old or older do not have to be tested.

Thing to look out for is the safety inspection. Part of the inspection is to make sure that the factory emission equipment is in place. For cat converters they only look back as far as '84.

From the link given above:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/ins...mdrop=Exhaust+Emission+System&rejectsubmit=Go

20.14 Exhaust Emission System. The owner or operator of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine beginning with the model year 1968 equipped with an exhaust emission system shall maintain the exhaust emission system in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated. The owner or operator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine.

The exhaust emission system was installed by manufacturers of motor vehicles beginning with model year 1968. The inspection of the exhaust emission system will apply only to those vehicles that are equipped with such a system. The following exhaust emission systems will be inspected if installed as original equipment by the manufacturer: thermostatic air cleaner, exhaust gas recirculation system, positive crankcase ventilation system, air injection system, evaporative emission system, and/or catalytic converter.

If installed as original equipment by the manufacturer, the catalytic converter will be considered a part of the exhaust emission system on all 1984 and later model vehicles. It will be inspected as a part of the exhaust system on prior to 1984 model vehicles.

One small item, this is from the Texas Enviromental Commission:
http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/implementation/air/mobilesource/vetech/tampering.html#tamp3

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation. Buyers are advised to have the vehicle checked for all required emission control devices prior to purchasing a new or used vehicle.
A vehicle may not be legally sold if its original engine has been replaced with another certified engine but without the related emission control components. Tampering includes the failure to install the emission controls associated with an engine configuration.

tom...

MOVE TO SOUTH DAKOTA. if you peuk a lot of co2 in the air it will make the corn grow better so we can make more ethanol. only inspections here are for cattle brands. we're just silly old farmers and ranchers, just don't throw a cigarette out the window on the interstate. Biggg trouble doin that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom