Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TH350 in a 1967

Paul;
It seems to me that a th350 is almost a bolt in, same drive shaft length etc. BUT, I would install an auto/overdrive with a lock up. They are bulding th200's to handle a lot of power now. I think the smaller case size of a 200 would better suit the Corvette tunnel. Several years ago I used a 700 with a lock up behind a 454 in 80 Monte Carlo. All the trans guys tried to talk me out of using the lock up converter, "you don't need that". I think that was because they didn't know what they were doing. I perservered and learned a bit about it and ended up with a lock up. So cool. You would never regret it. Watch the tach needle drop another 150-200 rpm when the converter locks up.

See if you can fit a 700R4 it is 3 1/2 inches longer and is a 4 speed OD trans several aftermarket suppliers make wire harnesses to control the lock-up feature. They are quite plentiful the only pitfall you may run into is the speedo, you will need to find an early mechanical tailshaft (not a big problem) to use your origional speedo.

I may have heard in the past that the 700 is too big for the c2 tunnel but I could be wrong.
I have been contradicted before by those who "know" but I just put power to the green wire on the trans and it did everything it was supposed to do. Locked up, unlocked. At first I thought the power should be ECM controlled, so I installed a toggle switch to the power. Not nessesary. Just my experience. Late 80's 700 from a tpi Trans Am. You will have to do your own research but I think the pre 92 transmissions [maybe earlier] are not ECM controlled and therefore have a speedo cable. If you can find a complete assy from a Trans Am/Camaro they have a little higher stall speed converter which is nice. I wouldn't even consider a th350 when a good over drive is so easy to acheive.

I will do some searches. I don't want to start cutting into fiberglass.

I had a 700R4 in my 67 for almost 10 years. never cut any fiberglass. I had a custom made trans mount, driveshaft, modified shifter linkage and a part built to allow the powerglide kick down rods to pull the TV cable. This enabled me to keep the car stock appearing. I removed all the overdrive stuff and reinstalled the glide when I sold the car a few months back. I can provide pics of all the stuff I used if needed as it is just sitting on a shelf.

Paul,

I dug through my old pics and found some from when I put the 700 in my 67 (98) I have built a page and posted some of them. I will update in the next few days with pics of the TV cable bracket I built and the shift linkage I used. All these parts are currently out of the car and can be duplicated easily if need be.
http://www.allmusclecars.com/projects/67vet700.htm
Hope this helps.

Dennis

I bought a tv cable and bracket fron GM. They were'nt expensive.

Midyear,
I appreciated those pics. But for a mechanical novice like me that looks very intimidating. That 700R4 transmission looks so much bigger. It does fit?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom