Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: TH350 tranny issue

A1Avette79

Corvette
1979 White Coupe
I posted a thread back in 2012. I'm still having the same issue with my tranny - it seems to be getting worse. I have a 79 (early), L48, auto transmission TH350. I had to replace the fly wheel back in 2012. The shop pulled the tranny out to do the work. After reinstalling everything I noticed a slight hesitation when shifting from Park into drive (3) but only on the first start up in the morning. It was only about a one second pause. The rest of the day the car would shift normally from Park to (3) without hesitation. Over the past year the hesitation continued to lengthen until I finally started shifting from Park into low gear (2) which would shift quickly then I would shift into (3). The tranny fluid level is correct -checked when engine is at operating temp and after shifting thru all gears. I have changed to tranny fluid and filter several times - no sludge or metal shavings in the fluid. I always use the correct filter, not the aftermarket one.
When the hesitation started getting longer even in (2) I got panicky. I had the shop change the Vacuum Modulator and rubber hose - didn't solve anything. It still shifts correctly the rest of the day. It only hesitates on the first shift of the day (or after the car has sat for a long time - more than 6 hours or so)
Has anybody heard of these symptoms before. It seem related to the fluid settling overnight and having to be recirculated in the morning. Is this a pump problem? I have no idea how the pump works on a tranny - is it part of the torque converter? Could it have been damaged when the tranny was remounted after the work in 2012?

My '82 L-83 did the same thing; the pump was shot.

I was lucky enough to have a 700R4 from a '93 Camaro, which cost me $500. All I had to do was swap out the valve body, so that the harness would work.

I did end up having the original 700R4 rebuilt and stuffed into my '79 L-82....IIRC, it cost me $1100 for the complete R&R....taking out the old TH350, rebuilding the 700R4, shortening the drive shaft, and putting it together.....that was in 1999 or 2000.

I was lucky enough to have a 700R4 from a '93 Camaro, which cost me $500. All I had to do was swap out the valve body, so that the harness would work.

I did end up having the original 700R4 rebuilt and stuffed into my '79 L-82....IIRC, it cost me $1100 for the complete R&R....taking out the old TH350, rebuilding the 700R4, shortening the drive shaft, and putting it together.....that was in 1999 or 2000.

Is the pump in the Torque Converter?

Is the pump in the Torque Converter?

No, the pump is the first thing you see, when you take the torque converter off the transmission.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• gmtrans_image_18_1.jpg
    gmtrans_image_18_1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 90
Also, not a big thing, but you don't have a flywheel, you have a flex plate....flywheels are for manuals.

Also, not a big thing, but you don't have a flywheel, you have a flex plate....flywheels are for manuals.

Ya I kept saying that to the mechanic and he kept correctly me. Old habits...

Was changing the pump a big job? I've done a bunch of internet searches for transmission pumps but no results come up. Are they available?

I see your note about your old vette you sold. If you know a cop have him run the VIN. Maybe the owner will sell it back to you.

I see your note about your old vette you sold. If you know a cop have him run the VIN. Maybe the owner will sell it back to you.

I have a friend, who is a State Trooper, but she will not tell me anything, other than the fact that the car is in Texas....something about privacy issues.

Last edited:
It might be cheaper just to get a new TH350 and save yourself the headache.

JEGS Performance Products 60300 JEGS Performance Transmissions - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Ya I wish I could afford a new tranny. Unfortunately I have to keep patching this car together to keep it on the road. Its my only transportation right now.

Thanks for all the info tonight. Its been really helpful. I have an early morning - gotta turn in now. Give my best to the Lone Star state from an old Aggie. I've been in Miami for 21 years and I still can't get used to the people here. Nothing like the friends I have in Texas.

Ya I wish I could afford a new tranny. Unfortunately I have to keep patching this car together to keep it on the road. Its my only transportation right now.

Thanks for all the info tonight. Its been really helpful. I have an early morning - gotta turn in now. Give my best to the Lone Star state from an old Aggie. I've been in Miami for 21 years and I still can't get used to the people here. Nothing like the friends I have in Texas.

No worries. Have a good night.

Gig 'em!

HammerDown has rebuilt his TH350 very recently. He may be able to give you some ideas or tips to help you out on this.
Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom