Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TH700R4's And Dana 44 Rear Ends

The TH00R4's and aluminum Dana 44 rear ends used in the C3's ONLY have metric threads. Even the pipe threads are metric so American threads will NOT match up with them. I have heard a number of cases where guys are damaging their Dana 44 aluminum fill plugs and end up screwing an American pipe plug into them. It'll screw in but it will NOT seal because the threads are different pitches.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone using a standard pipe thread on the 44.
That's a bad idea for the reasons you point out if it is metric.

The 44 wasn't a bad rear end either.

American And Metric Threads

In another forum I have read two cases in the last 6 months where members didn't know 8-point sockets are available to remove square-headed pipe plugs and ended up POUNDING a 3/4" 12-point socket onto their plug which tore the corners off the plug. Then the other members told them a common American pipe plug will work just fine. Uh uh, the Dana 36 and 44 rear ends use METRIC pipe plugs and they have different thread pitches.

Last edited:
63 to early 65 used a machine thread plug and hole. I don't recall off hand but I never measured the many I rebuilt over the years. The mid 65- 79 used a 3/4 npt plug & hole. The Dana's for 80-82 I do not take in or work on so I can't say. I gave away all the 80-82 diff's and parts I had left here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom