Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

thank you everyone!

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
last week I got a bit motivated and decided to start a "LOG" on all service work on my car since I purchased her almost two years ago.
It will actually be two years now in March :)

I had kept all the service records from when I took her to various meechanics up until Aug when I gave up on mechanics and decided to work on her myself so I pulled them all out of my file, organized them by date, than started my "Log", listing the date, what service work had been performed (as listed on each invoice), and any other additional notes such as what other issues had been found according to the mechanic.

Well, I had already known I was never happy with any of the mechanics and the results after I would give them the car but seeing everything completely spread out in front of me and seeing the list of work performed I hadn't realized to what degree I had been completely and utterly ripped off and the sheer amount of money that had been wasted on these mechanics.
There were things done within a few months timeframe that were complete duplicates and triplicates of the identicle work. A lot of that was simply because one mechanics wouldn't solve the problem so I'd take it back and to try to fix it the same wark was done again and rebilled, than it still wouldn't be right so I took the car to a different mechanics and he would re-do the same exact thing all over again and i'd get billed for it of course.

At the time I had no real clue what they were really doing to my car. All I knew would be that it wasn't running right so I'd take it in, describe the problem and tell them to try and fix it. Even if I read the service order they did when I paid the bill I didn't understand at the time most of what they listed as work performed. Like and idiot I just paid the bill, took the car, and than the car STILL wouldn't be right so I'd take it back and they would "try" something else.

I think the carb was "rebuilt" (meaning basically just replace the gaskets) three times, the valves adjusted three times, the points and condensor in the distributor were replaced twice in a one months time between two different mechanics, the carb power valve replaced twice in a two month period, etc, etc, etc.
Geez, what a f**cking waste of money!!!! :mad
Granted, part of it was my fault for not realizing at the time EXACTLY what work they were doing and that the same things were getting done over and over again needlessly, but back than I really didn't have a clue on this stuff so if they told me it needed something I just said go ahead and do it. Still, you would thing that a "professional" mechanics would be able to see that the points he is replacing is a brand new set, or that the gaskets he is removing to replace on the carb look new and in good condition and so on.

We are talking hundreds and hundreds of dollars just completely wasted here! :mad

pretty much without exception, everytime I took the car back home after getting servive work performed i'd end up having to call my neighbor who does his own work to try to get the car running better because it would run worst after I brought it home than before I took it in to the mechanics!

Well, at least I got smart and gave up on the mechanics and with all of your generousity of assistence, tolerating all my questions and helping me, I'm doing the work needed my self so at least I know what is being done to my car and if problems still exist, being able to try to track down the cause of them logically rather than just spending money on throwing parts at it and wasting time and money, especially money.

so, thank you all for your knowledge, your time helping me with my car, your advice and suggestions.
except for something that obsolutely requires special tools or knowlege that I just can't handle on my own my Baby won't be going to mechanics anymore. I had already decide that months ago but especially after seeing the evidence of the mechanics experience it's reconfirmed in my mind that I made the right decision to learn how to work on my car myself.

Thanks everyone!! (and thanks for letting me rant)
:beer :beer :beer

Barry,

did you GET all the parts each time these "shade tree mechanics" replaced them? if you did, that should have been a clue they were ripping you off! NO!? I know this isn't any consolation, just trying to prove a point and keep someone else from going through your pain!

BTW - getting ready to turn LADY back over to Tony for some fine-tuning in several areas

Rick
nope, no parts back EXCEPT the time right after I bought her and had to get the distributor rebuilt. That time I was sure to save all the old original parts and after talking to Dave Fiedler who said a lot of my issues with my distributor are most likely caused by the repro replacement parts, i'm REAL glad I saved those at least. i'll eventually send the distributor to him with the old parts and he will see what can be cleaned up and reused.

I kinda had a feeling back than I was getting hosed but now I KNOW for sure I was. Well, yey again a lesson learned the hard and expensive way. Always seems to work that way for me but this is one that I learned real well at least.

Tony is probably about the only "mechanic" I'd actually trust with the car anymore so it's a shame it's such a long drive for me, but it's good that i'm learning to do the work myself anyway so maybe it's just as well Tony isn't any closer.
One of these days I'm tempted to take a drive down there again just to show Tony and Keith the improvements I've made on BABY since they last saw her.

good luck with LADY, I'm sure Tony will do an excellent job on her, whatever she needs. :beer

Barry,
At one time in here someone had a spreadsheet you could use to record various things done to your car. I wish that person would speak out again and let us know how he's using a spreadsheet to track and doument these things.
Dennis

Yup, been there, done that.

Glad to see that you've learned.

As long as you follow the advice of JohnZ, VNV, JL66RDCPE, Stepinwolf and a few others, you'll be fine. Whatever happened to TheOman???? He had good advice.

Frankly, I don't count myself among those whose advice should be followed religously. I just tend to tinker with cars that I own, so my experiences are valuable as general advice. Yes, I tend to be a cynic so those who think less of my advice can take a hike.:CRASH

The most frustrating part of these comments is those who think they need to send their carbs out to an "expert". The definition of an expert is someone from out of town with a PowerPoint presentation. Just use common sense in rebuiliding your carbs, with an OEM rebuild kit, and let it go. Only send it out if you want the surface to look factory fresh. The rest is just profit at your expense.

Adios......

Dennis, I just made up my own spreadsheet for this.
of course, if anyone has anything better i'm game to use it as i'll continue my log now with everything I ever do with the car myself

Kid

yep, following their advice as best I can, along bith Bill B's too!

gee, thanks for the wiseass comment on sending my carb out........ but once again I learned the hard way I should have just done it myself.
oh well, in the futire I will. At least it get replated so it looks good if nothing else. At least I have a good looking carb on the car that I STILL need to take apart myself to stop the leaks that weren't there before I sent the d*mn thing out!.
yeah......... the carb looks good now but it's ruining the nice clean finish on my newly cleaned intake from the leaking fuel! :mad

BarryK said:
Dennis, I just made up my own spreadsheet for this.
of course, if anyone has anything better i'm game to use it as i'll continue my log now with everything I ever do with the car myself

Well, c'mon Barry...share! I need something like that.

Barry I am so glad your working on your car yourself. Although it can be very frustrating at time when things dont go your way (as with your drain cock on your radiator) but its also very rewarding when you finally get it done.

Spread sheets are fun and very addicting, this spring when I travel to Florida i plan on building a "Microsoft access" data base of the 62's build folder by scanning all of the receipts, and building some adobe acrobat files from all of my wiring diagrams and stuff into one data base, Once i get it it built i can use it in the future on the next cars build and also loan it to folks to make their life easier. i do a lot of traveling during the winter and this is great stuff to do while sitting in the airports, I also have a problem just sitting at the beach so as long as my laptops batteries hold up I should have a pretty cool data base when i am done .

ZRGATOR

I dont know if you use Microsoft excel for work or not but its a great program and its worth taking a course on. You'll be surprised how easy it is to use and its uses are endless, it also supports hyperlinking to other documents. In my area there are affordable course on how to use it. definitely worth the price of admission.

Dennis
If you want my spreadsheet layout for your own use just email me and i'll send you a copy

Larry

you are right, it can be frustrating but it's a really good feeling after I manage to finish doing something on my car and know I'm the one that did it.

Great idea! I never thought about the idea of scanning & linking the receipts and service orders into the spreadsheet. I may have to try that myself.
:beer

BarryK said:
Larry

you are right, it can be frustrating but it's a really good feeling after I manage to finish doing something on my car and know I'm the one that did it.

Great idea! I never thought about the idea of scanning & linking the receipts and service orders into the spreadsheet. I may have to try that myself.
:beer

Just do one tonight,once you see how easy it it youl probably re-design the entire spread sheet. The only problem is when you shairing the spead sheet you have to send all of the embedded files to go with it

yes, I can see that requirement on the embedded files, but why anyone would want my actual file with my files I can't see why, as long as they had a blank templete of the spreadsheet for their own use as they would have to scan and link their own files.

I'll probably give it a try tomorrow

Hey Bud.......

I remember the first time I saw "Baby"....You and Linda pulled into Lantana Square for the Kennett Square cruise night. That was after the debacle at the Sundance saloon which fried your paint and "started u on this road". Look at how far things have come!!!!!

A spreadhseet is a good idea for a quick "piece" in the Vettester!!

Your a good friend....c u tonight at the club meeting (hopefully).

Andy

BarryK said:
yes, I can see that requirement on the embedded files, but why anyone would want my actual file with my files I can't see why, as long as they had a blank templete of the spreadsheet for their own use as they would have to scan and link their own files.

I'll probably give it a try tomorrow

Andy
I remember that day and pulling into Lantana Square. You were the first one there and your BRIGHT Yellow '76 was hard to miss. Linda and saw you and figured that was the meeting place! :)
Donna was even there with you that day.

see you tonight at the meeting.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom