Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 68 heated up to 240* at stop light.. Help

After reading this thread i had to go and test mine.I had replaced it when i bought the car in 2001(Hayden from Pep Boys)so it was good to see that it is still working.
I've been thinking of buying a new performance water pump(Edelbrock,Stewart,etc)that will flow more coolant at idle.My question is,is there any advantage of buying an aluminum pump over a cast iron pump besides the weight.
I'm going to paint the water pump either way so i don't want to spend the extra money if i don't have to.

I've have the cast iron stewart stage 1 with a 160* thermostat in for 5 years and the car runs at 190, except the last week when it was 100+ outside, then the car got to 200. I bought the cast pump because it cost less than aluminum. PG

I've been thinking of buying a new performance water pump(Edelbrock,Stewart,etc)that will flow more coolant at idle.My question is,is there any advantage of buying an aluminum pump over a cast iron pump besides the weight.

There's no need or benefit in using anything other than a standard OEM piece or equivalent. The pump is not the weak link in the cooling system.

:beer

There's no need or benefit in using anything other than a standard OEM piece or equivalent. The pump is not the weak link in the cooling system.

Yes, that is true but 5 years ago I didn't no any better so I ordered the stage 1, when it leaks I'll go back to stock. PG

quick and dirty test/fix for fan clutch is to use a short piece (abt 15'' IIRC) of perforated metal strapping (aka ''plumbers tape'') to go around the front of the fan , between the fan blades, and onto two opposite fan mounting bolts...this locks the fan to the drive...if your overheating stops with this fugly thing in place, you need a new fan clutch (or paint the strapping black and leave it if budget challanged).
the impeller in the oem pump is a very crude stamped sheet metal piece...ok for stock engines at low rpm, but not anywhere near ideal pumping ability and cavitates (no output) at high engine speeds...GM perf parts sold a good cast impeller a few years ago for $8, i ain't sure if its still available...most aftermarket pumps use an impeller that really works.
seven blade fans can be found on full size chevy vans and some cadillacs...they do make more noise, but help cooling a bunch.

I knew i would get that answer from somebody.There's a big temperature difference between Montreal and Jacksonville,FL.I'm looking for a new pump that will flow equally to both sides of the block(the stock design does not)and provide a little more flow at idle.Plus i would like to get the cheap auto part store rebuilt one off the car.

I knew i would get that answer from somebody.There's a big temperature difference between Montreal and Jacksonville,FL.

So what's the difference between 95 degrees F in Montreal and 95 degrees F in Florida?

If you look at my avatar picture, that's my car on Galveston Island TX after completing a 2500 mile run, sometimes in 100+ temps. Stock pump, 180 degrees on the gauge. :beer

shark

if you want a better water pump it never hurts....

you do get hot for real long periods of time in florida and without a/c its unbearable.. we do not get that many 96 degree days around here.. and not for three weeks straight!:w

I didn't really want to get in an argument over water pumps.I just wanted to know if there was any benefit of spending the extra money on aluminum over cast iron.
My Corvette is a 4speed/non air car,therefore it came with the very small aluminum radiator.When i bought the car in 2000 the radiator was toast.The core literally disintegrated when i took it out.At the time i didn't have the funds for a new radiator so i had the stock on recored for $180.00.It now has a 5 core brass core instead of the aluminum core.It stays cool(according to the stock gauge)but in traffic it will run a little hotter than i would like.The new water pump is mostly for "piece of mind".

Now i get to go outside and put a new PW motor in my POS 94 Z28.I'm always working on the wrong car.How come i never get to work on the car i like to work on?:bash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom