Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

THe 78 is for sale

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
We've been tinkering around on this collectors edition 78'. Original L82 but now has fresh GM crate engine and new transmission. The car itself only has 36k original miles. the engine and trans went at the same time from what Im understanding and the replaced them both and sold to car to the current owner. He is asking 8000.00. how is this price? what do the rest of you think its worth? It also has two sets of rims. Original plus 16" torq thrust.

We've been tinkering around on this collectors edition 78'. Original L82 but now has fresh GM crate engine and new transmission. The car itself only has 36k original miles. the engine and trans went at the same time from what Im understanding and the replaced them both and sold to car to the current owner. He is asking 8000.00. how is this price? what do the rest of you think its worth? It also has two sets of rims. Original plus 16" torq thrust.

Seems reasonable... then again... maybe not. Depends on the rest of the car.

Anymore information?

the body is excellent, paint is original with the expected mild cracks in the paint around the turn./ brake lights, the paint is actually in really good shape, shines like a new dime. the carpet shows some dry, kinda of brittle in places but has the color still in it.

...collectors edition 78'...

I assume you mean a Silver Anniversary car. The CEs were '82 models.
$8K is reasonalble provided it's a genuine B2Z car. If it's a B2Z car, you will want the original aluminum wheels which came with the option.

I'm curious as to how engine and trans failed at the same time on a low milage car. What's the story on that?

:)

Yes, it is the 25th anniversary edition. As far as I know the story is the parents bought it for thier kid who was about 18 at the time and he got out hot rodding it and blew the engine and transmission. The underside of this car and the exhuast looks perfect so the 36K on the car looks to be believable.

Maybe the 36K was in 1/4 mile stretches. :D

All kidding aside, price sounds reasonable if a true Silver Ann. car.

... the story is the parents bought it for thier kid who was about 18 at the time and he got out hot rodding it and blew the engine and transmission...

I'd pass at that point. Brakes, bushings, steering, rear end, etc may not be what they should be if a young driver took the car out and beat on it.

Replacing the engine lowers the value on a car that is almost completely stock... which supports the $8k price tag. I believe that car usually books out between $10k-$16k for good to excellent condition shape.

I think we all agree that pictures would help.

Do you know which GM crate motor was put in it? There is a big difference between a ZZ383 or a ZZ4 and some low power Caprice replacement engine. I'd want to know if i was buying.

I was told it was 377hp but Im not sure which engine. Ill get some pics as soon as I can. Thanks for all the replies. Im getting a better idea of what I may be getting into. Sounds like more of an average " Deal " then the deal of a lifetime like I first thought.

If you are just buying the car for the purpose of having another one to enjoy, I think it's a good deal (assuming the mechanical work done on the car was not done by Bubba).
If you are buying it with the intent of making it a Bloomington Gold 78SA, then I'd probably just start with a better condition SA.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom