Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Bad News I don't belive/ need help to solve

socor7

Corvette
1976 White with red Int 4 speed
Well after the accident that I had in my baby. I took it to a frame shop and they told me that it was wrecked before, and that the from part of the frame is out 4 inches to the left (if facing), and the center section is square, and the rear section is out to the right a little. So since they were not a corvette shop they recommended that I take it there to deal with the pull and the fiberglass, so it wont crack when they pull it. Is there any way I can check to see if there measurements are correct 4 inches seams like a long way to move the front end.

Thanks

Drew

C3 Frame Dimensions

Hey socor7

Firstly sorry to hear about the damage. :(

Secondly, attached C3 frame dimensions for you to check on yours.
You will have to get it on a hoist to get to some of the pickup points, but it may give you an idea.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/C3FrameDim.jpg

Good Luck Dude.

:beer Grant.

Find a good body shop with a newer frame machine and have them check all the points. Our delaership jsut spent $145K on our new machine and it is awesome.

yeah I took it to a shop and they told me there computer was wigging out and so they did it by hand, I am not sure but 4 inches seams to me to be a lot, I should notice it on the handling and the alignment of from wheels, it all looks and feels normal. Thanks for the dimensions I will put them to use once I get it up on stands.

Thanks
Drew

4" out? how would you not notice that by just visibly looking at it? That's a LOT.

If it's really that bad I'd imagine it would be better to replace the entire frame rather than to try straightening it.

that is what I thought, and when i drove it before it drove straigh as an arrow, the guy must not know what he is doing, What they told me was that the computer was not working so they did it by hand, guess just goes to show that computers really run out lives. To bad I paid them already. So I think I am going to try and measure it my self, and see what is up. The thing is that it still drives straight. Guess you can't trust any one these days.

has any one measured their frame. or know the procedure to measure it.

Thanks

Drew

GMJunkie knows this stuff like the back of his hand.
Maybe he will be along soon.

socor7 said:
yeah I took it to a shop and they told me there computer was wigging out and so they did it by hand, I am not sure but 4 inches seams to me to be a lot, I should notice it on the handling and the alignment of from wheels, it all looks and feels normal. Thanks for the dimensions I will put them to use once I get it up on stands.

Thanks
Drew
Somethings Fishy!!!!!!!!! The Junkman measure's Every one by hand!!!!!Whether it's a full Frame or Unitized!! 4 inches, Yes thats allot!! And you would have problems with Doors,Hood,T-Top's,and Bumpers fitting!! and there would be no way they could even get close to wheel alignment!! and it would Drive Like Sh*t and you couldn't keep tires on it!! Would Dog-Track Big Time, Some-Body is Blow'en Smoke Up your a--!!! C2's and C3's are the Toughest Frames to Pull and get alignment on!!(Basically the same frame,just the rear horns are different!!) And most Frame and Alignment guy's now days, have not a Clue where to start!! So they Blow you off by saying it was Wrecked before,you'll have to take it to Billy Mac down by the Tracks!! My frame and alignment equipment is Old and Antiquated and allot of it hand made through the years!!!( But it Works,and as Accurate as a Lazier-Liner!!) Just Takes me Longer to measure out,and set up to pull!! I'll have my 02 Z06 on it chained down and getting ready to measure out and pull it back into shape!! I'll post some photos when I get that far!! (P.S. It would really be easier if you could find a set of Blackhawk 97300 series self centering frame gages!! Just set up the Datum Line and Look down the Bomb sight!!) I'll take a photo of my set tomorrow and post it here!! The gages that are on the Rustang are called Tram gages,I use them to X measure body Hood,Door,Trunk,T-Top openings,Wheel Base, Frame Diamond and also Front and Rear Toe!! Mine are Home made out of electrical conduit and Fittings. The pointers on them are made from electric motor bolts that hold them together!! I built a set 2ft.,4ft,6ft.8ft,10ft and 12ft I just have to measure and set them between pointers!! (no measuring marks like store bought) and I made pointers that range from 2in. to 12in. so I can measure with out removing suspension and other parts!!

Thanks for the information, I would agree that I think this shop is full of it. I am in the process of measuring the frame and the center line with plumb bobs. so I can check the center line. I am also thinking of taking to the corvette shop here in Denver. they were recommended in the corvette fever mag. so once I get it back together I will take it there to have things checked out. Unless I can check for a straight frame with out to many specialty tools. Thanks

Drew

After looking at your pictures of the crash damage, I can't believe that your frame is off 4". No way! Your hood wouldn't line up, your lines would be all off.

Here's what you can try.
Put your car up on jack stands that are the same height under the center part of the frame. Take you plumb line and mark off 1" increments on the string.
Take readings on all of the points on the frame diagram for height and mark a point on the floor where your plumb bob touches. Then you can measure the points on the floor and reference them to the height measurements to determine:
1) If the frame is straight with reference to the center line.
and
2) If the frame is bent up or down with reference to the horizontal reference.
Draw it all up on graph paper and compare it to the frame measurement diagram. If it all comes out close, don't worry about it.
That's what I would do with simple tools and a flat garage floor to work with, since I don't trust most shops either.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom