Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The best diagnostic tool for C5 Corvettes - TECH2

C

cavettefan

I visited the dealer today for what I thought was a problem with my automatic transmission - not downshifting in part throttle situations. Since it was a slow day, the Service Manager went with me for a test drive to recreate the "problem". Hooked to the On Board Diagnostic port was the TECH2 scanner. An hour later, I was blown away by the amount of information that is available to/accessible by the TECH2. With the TECH2, you have to work hard to not be able to diagnose problems with the car. Basically, if the OBD sensors can detect a problem, the TECH2 will find it. You could even detect the application of the electric seat switches....

I was so amazed that I had to post this experience with my Corvette and the dealer that I got it from.

P.S.: The problem that I originally went in for turned out to not be a problem - the engine produces gobs of torque and therefore, the transmission does not need to downshift, so it doesn't. In the test drive, the engine delivered 347 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 rpm per the TECH2....

Yeah well, your not talkin' about a tool from Sears here.......who's got $3,295.00 to spend on a Tech 2.........? Would be nice though........

$3,295 is a reason to be on good terms with your dealer. If you have a competent dealer (and those can be few and far between...), the TECH2 scanner helps the diagnosis of any problems to be first-time-right. Good mechanical insight narrows the search, but the TECH2 confirms (or denies) the diagnosis.

Hi cavettefan,
Actually this for general consumption, but if you can add to it, please do.
Are there any lower priced diagnistic tools that may be...oh... 3 digits in price and maybe not be a detailled but can point the used in the right direction?
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

the tech 2 is it,for sure,but for 250 bucks at checker auto i bought a scan tool that lets me read all the sensors,records,the enhanced version(download off web site)does tranny,etc...cant change any settings,but ive modded the car some and ported the MAS(BAD MOVE)after that theres a WOT lean condition.would not have known this without the scan tool.just my .02
Todd.

Hey Todd,
What is the name of the new tool?
To All Others,
Either Vette or Corvette Fever had an article about 3 different diagnistic scaners. Does anyone know which issue the article is in?
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom