Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The C5 In Time

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Remember when the C5's first showed up? There were all those split opinions. Some thought the stylist had drifted away from the classic Corvette look. Others, myself included, felt the look had some Euro influence but overall it was a beautiful design and was unmistakenly a Corvette. Generally cars with a good design will hold up over time. Take for example the C2 Corvettes...they still look terrific today. I believe the C5's will also stand the test of time. Few would argue that the C5's were a breakthrough in design, technology and performance. Your thoughts?
Remo:cool

2019921310103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

I have to agree with you. I like my C5...
I have liked the C5 since day one. I was impressed the first time I saw one back in '97 and got the itch for one shortly after that. Bought my '99 in 2000 and I still have it more than 10 years later.
Once or twice a year, I start entertaining ideas about getting a C6, but it never gets too far. I start looking at a C6, and think "I don't like the fixed headlights, or the interior that much, and it doesn't really handle or ride much better than mine...so why am I considering this car?" 10 years later, I'm still driving it.

DSC_0109.jpg

I've got an '04 vert and an '04 Z16... what does that tell you?? The wife said I could order a new GS and I chose to keep what makes me happy!! I'll take a clean C5 over the Euro C6 anytime.:beer

I really like the C5 and have ever since they came out. Though I am partial to C3s as those are the 'vettes I admired and dreamed of owning during my middle school and high school years, I really like the C5.

Though I owned a C4 (1989), I have to admit that I never really liked the way they looked, but hey, it was a 'vette and what I could afford at the time. They just didn't look right. I remember when they came out in '84. My initial reaction was, "What the hell is this?" The reminded me of an bigger RX-7. That design took something away from the uniqueness of the Corvette. For me, there just wasn't anything special about them. It lost the voluptuous lines of the C3 nor had the powerful and aggressive look of the C2. Let me again caveat all that with I still loved my C4 because, afterall, it was a Corvette. :)

But the C5 made everything right again and I haven't regretted getting it once. I see me owning my 2004 for a long time. The C6? Sorry, I just can't get into them despite their better performance. If I buy another Corvette, it will most assuredly be a C3...to go along with my C5. :D

I agree with "Remo:" the C2 is a classic Corvette design, and was always my favorite when growing up. I always liked the early C3's styling as well: aggressive, but slightly understated; but by the time 1980 was rolling around, I thought the styling had been overdone. And like "Fullback32," I was never wild about the C4 lines; almost bought one at one point as well, but was reluctant to store it outside (living up north at the time, with no garage). In as much as I'd thought the C3 styling had been overdone by the end of its production run, I thought the C4 styling had been over-simplified...

When the C5 came out in 1997, I can remember thinking "Well, that's certainly different from the C4!" I don't think I was immediately taken with the styling, but as time went on, it definitely grew on me, and I started saying "That's better than the C4 -- in every way!" And again, I agree with "Remo:" I believe 40 years down the road, the C5 styling will remain a benchmark.

I almost purchased a used 1998 convertible around 2000, but the deal fell through (seller backed out). By the time I got serious about another Corvette purchase, it was 2005 and the C6 was out. I briefly considered buying a new C6, but couldn't get to the right price with the dealer -- and I realized that the new styling definitely wasn't growing on me... So, I turned back to a used C5, found one with exactly the equipment list I would have ordered, and have been happy ever since. :thumb

I believe that the mid-years will always be a benchmark design. But, as I recall, there was comparisons to Jaguar XK-E's, and rightly so. As for the other gens, C3's were great cars as well, not really any competition. My love was for the mid-years though. As far as the C4's go, I think they get a bad rap. I believe that the C4's were revolutionary cars in styling and performance. I always liked the styling of the C4. The C5 took a while for the styling to get to me. The big butt always stuck out to me. And I always felt that Firebirds/TransAm's had a very similar front end. But frankly, I've gotten past that and feel that, yes they are a very stylish car with lines that will be garnered for years. The C6 with it's exposed headlights has taken a bit for me to digest, but like the C5's, I've gotten past the 'changes', and would definitely own one if I had the money. I like my 01, very much, and really don't see myself swapping cars in the near future. I rather like not having too make car payments.

I'll leave with this to say about Corvettes. I'd not turn any one down, there are model years that I prefer, but love them all and would really like to have one of any/every year.

I remember seeing my first real C5 in late '96 and I still remember being blown away with it's looks. The big butt rear end was different, but doable. I know and like C6's for what the are (I thought the looks would grow on me, but that hasn't happened yet), but for style and driveability, the C5's are still at the top of my list.

love for the C4?

:v:v:v

Each generation has its "classic" body style. I don't think many other car models can say that.

(((Mustang??? ;shrug)))

C1's and especially C2's are pure classics, plain and simple. Classic style that still holds up to this day.

For me though, the classic Vette will always be the early C3's. My Uncle had a '68 silver vert and when I was a kid, it was, for me, da bomb! When I got old enough to get my permit, I learned to drive a stick in that Vette. Looking back, I realize he must have loved me very much to let me grind the gears like that.

When the C4's came out, I fell in love. To this day I love the C4 body style. Good thing since I own one! They still seem modern to me.

I was never a big fan of the C5 body style, until recently that is. But lately, I've taken a bit of a liking to the C5, especially the Z06's. I gotta admit though, the C5 coupe seems the least distinctive of the Corvette generations to me.

I guess for me the jury is still out on the C6. The rear end is classic Corvette, but I'm not so convinced about the front end. Time will probably change that opinion as well.

Regardless though, :v:v:v

and don't forget to Save the Wave!!! :w:w:w

I've owned every model except C3s. While I really like the C3 style, it just was not the corvette I was looking for. I had 4 C2s, three coupes and one vert and absolutely loved them - still do. Had two C4s and I thought they were great, but when I got into a C5, I was sold on it. I love the C5s so much that I have two and hopefully will keep them for a long time, along with my C6 which I also love. When I had the 1994 and 2002 coupe only, my wife said that we had a great looking car and a beautiful car. Now she says we have three beautiful corvettes. The poster of 3 RED C5 corvettes on a sandy beach is my favorite. I almost match it with my 3 RED corvettes, but I don't want to drive on sand to take a similiar picture. How can anyone go wrong with any of the designs - they all grow on us and we admire them all. Wish I could own at least one of each model. Then the one I was driving would be my favorite. But, to get back to the thread's point, I agree that the C5 is really a great design and Corvette engineers should be very proud of it. Read the book ALL CORVETTES ARE RED to enlighten yourself on the C5.
Barrett

I'm *almost* afraid to get into a C5! I've never driven one, let alone ridden in one. Of course, everything I hear about them is that they are great driving Vettes, which is just as important as how they look. Maybe one of these weekends I'll head down for auto row and see if I can take a test drive. Who knows, I may end up driving one home! The wife might think that means I love Vettes more than I love her... which of course is just pretty much not true.

One of these days, when I'm rich, I want to have one of each generation. We'll probably be up to the C8 by then and I'll be too old to drive any of them!

I'm *almost* afraid to get into a C5! I've never driven one, let alone ridden in one. Of course, everything I hear about them is that they are great driving Vettes, which is just as important as how they look. Maybe one of these weekends I'll head down for auto row and see if I can take a test drive. Who knows, I may end up driving one home! The wife might think that means I love Vettes more than I love her... which of course is just pretty much not true.

One of these days, when I'm rich, I want to have one of each generation. We'll probably be up to the C8 by then and I'll be too old to drive any of them!

Careful, that's what happened to me! I had my C4 in for a servicing and thought, what the hell, I'll test drive this 2004 while I'm waiting. I took it home that evening! :L

I must admit I did not like the C5 at first but....am now on my 2nd one so I guess it grew on me quick ! :L Only thing is if you look at a Ford Probe...it makes you wonder where the styling came fron in the front at least.

A Word About The C6

I started this thread praising the design of the C5 and nothing has changed. But I did want to mention how much I like the style of the C6. Yes the designers shorten them and gave them exposed headlights but in the end they delivered an absolutley beautiful automobile.

A final word on the C5 vs C6 design elements....windshields. To me the thing that makes the C5 so distinctive is the extreme rake of the windshield. That's the item, above all, that gives it that bad ass, I'm on fire look.....in a parking lot or at full song on an interstate.
Remo:cool

47584686d1128892306-the-c6-z06-picture-thread-c6_z06_25_red_svga.jpg

I drove both the C5 and C6 to work this last week. A lot of my customers commented on the "red vette" (the C5) but never got a single comment on the C6 (machine silver). I realize the Torch Red vette definitely catches the eye better and although the Machine Silver C6 looks good in its own way, it just doesn't have the same pazzass. I do like the A6 in the C6 better in stop and go traffic.

when the c-5 came out I did not like the rear end.Now I own one! i also like the c-6 models.There are a lot of c-5s on the road around here and I think the style is looking a little old but still great cars and still turn heads.:)

I loved the car from day one! Still do, I love driving and looking at my C5.:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom