Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Car is Packed and Corvettes at Carlisle Awaits

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
The Car is Packed and Carlisle awaits ! I am planning to attend Corvettes at Carlisle this August 27-30, 2015. I plan to be on the road for about 14 days. ( August 14th to Sept 1) .

Even though I have owned my car for 45 years, I have never been to Carlisle. I hope to have a mini reunion with many of my hosts from the 48 State Tour. Let me know if you are going !

If you have owned your corvette for 30 or more years, I would like to stop by and add you to my research on long time Corvette Owners.

The map shows the general route (not roads yet) I am taking, PM me with your town and I will put it on the map. Once the map has enough dots on it.

I will plan the actual route. More information to come as I add details and dates of travel. I used this method to travel to all 48 states, and Europe to document these cars and owners. I will be posting to 9 US and European Corvette Forums as well as Facebook. Here are is a link to my web page with details . of my trips to Europe and NCRS National Convention.

Corvette Vagabond - Home Page

Map link- Just click on it. PM with your town and I will put your town on the map . The route shown is just a general direction. Actual roads traveled later. ( I will not post your address , just town)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z2su_20EvonU.kBQFfkdm4LN8

Packingcarfortrip006.jpg

Wish I was going Jack. Carlisle is one of my to do things now that I have retired. :thumb

That is an impressive packing job. I hope you left enough room for souvenirs. Have a great trip.

Hah I never actually thought that I would be impressed by someone's packing job :D Have a safe trip :cool!:

Jack, knows how to pack for a trip. Even the toilet paper. :L

Jack, knows how to pack for a trip. Even the toilet paper. :L

DEFINITELY looks like this is NOT his first rodeo! :thumb
Andy :w

Plans for Carlisle

Here are some plans for my trip. I plan to leave ME on the 20th, Stop in Mass to see 58-67 cars from 30 year owners.

21st, Stop at Ed Johnson shop ,Bridgewater, MA work on car and stay over with Ed.

22nd, Sat. Head west toward Ohio, Stops in western NY ? Please let me know if you have a car you want me to see

23rd, Sun , stay with Midyear, Ohio,

24th somewhere in Ohio / PA, Let me know if you want me to see your car,

25.PA...Near Pittsburgh area....Let me know if you want me to see car.

26 Pitt with Son,

27th head to Carlisle. 28-29, First Time attending

30-31 Pitts with son,

Sept 1-4 DC-MD, NJ, NY, MA and Home

I will start to fill in stops as I get calls to stop. If you have owned your car for more then 30 years...I would like to add you to my photo collection...for that book that we all have been waiting for.

I hope to see many of the hosts who had put me up on previous trips. I will be posting some pictures of my last trip over the next few days.

My cell on the road will be 207-838-5695 or post online to forums or jackpanzica@gmail.com

Some members from the 48 state trip

Update on Trip

Hi to all,

As I prepare for the trip to Carlisle, my first stop will be in the Lexington MA area on Thursday August 20 in the AM. I will be looking at a 58 and 67 that have been owned for 40 + years.

If you live in the area and want to have me document your car as one my 30+ year owners, please PM or email me jackpanzica@gmail.com . If we can find a local park to meet......

Thursday PM, I continue on to Ed Johnson's shop in Bridgewater , MA to do last minute prep on the car. Yes , I get to change the oil and filter with the car on a lift....nice not to get oil in your face.

Ed donated the rear end that Gary Ramadei rebuilt for me.

I leave MA and head to Columbus, Ohio on Friday August 21 with a stop in western NY or PA. PM me if you live on the way and want to try and meet.

The Car is Packed and Corvettes at Carlisle Await !

Hi , travel update.

I will be in Lexington MA around 10 am on Thursday, August 20, 2015. It will be my first stop on my way to Carlisle via Ohio.

I am stopping to see 58 and 67 Corvettes that that have been in the family for more than 40 years. If you have a C-1 or C-2 and would like to say hello and have me add it to my Corvette Vagabond documentary on long time owners.

If you live in the Boston area and want to joint the fun for an hour or so PM me for details.

From Lexington, at 12 or 1 pm , I head to Bridgewater , MA , Ed Johnson's shop get my car on a lift for last minute fixes and inspection for the trip. If you live south of Boston , PM me for details if you want to say hello at Ed's place.

Jack

On my last trip I was treated to this little jewel owned by a host in Louisiana. I hope to see your special car ....PM me to see if you live on route.

This baby lives on Cape Cod , MA

I'll be heading from Pittsburgh to Carlisle on 27 August, and returning to Pittsburgh on 30 August. If you want to caravan on the return trip, let me know. I'll be in the Fun Field with Aztec Gold C5 #15, probably parked up near the main gate with the NCRS and Solid Axle Club guys.

Hello and thanks

I'll be heading from Pittsburgh to Carlisle on 27 August, and returning to Pittsburgh on 30 August. If you want to caravan on the return trip, let me know. I'll be in the Fun Field with Aztec Gold C5 #15, probably parked up near the main gate with the NCRS and Solid Axle Club guys.

Hi, hope to meet up with you, my cell is 207-838-5695.... #15 ? what does that mean, I have never been to Carlisle . I got my sticker and it said #51 ....is that my space....?

Jack

... #15 ? what does that mean, I have never been to Carlisle. I got my sticker and it said #51 ....is that my space....?

Hi, Jack!

In my case #15 refers to the production sequence of the Aztec Gold C5's. I frankly don't know what number I've got on my gate pass (it's in Pittsburgh, I'm currently in Alabama), but I'm sure it's probably up in the thousands; sounds like you bought your gate pass early if it's #51.

I assume you signed up for the Fun Field? That's just general parking; first come, first served. There are some reserved areas (both official and unofficial) that different clubs occupy as a rule, but generally-speaking, the Fun Field is open parking. Here's a map of the fairgrounds. Frankly, it's just a big field with some paved isles between grassy parking areas; technically, the parking spots are marked, but they're not always easy to see.

So, you'll basically just drive onto the fairgrounds and wedge yourself in wherever you can find a spot; you'll want to get onto the fairgrounds pretty early (like at or before dawn) to guarantee yourself one of the more desirable spots. If you're in 'violation' of some club's turf, they'll probably let you know -- usually politely. If you're an NCRS member, you can park in the area where I'll be; there are several other CAC forum members who wind up in that area as well, and we seem to have a pretty wide representation of generations ranging from C3 to C7 between us; your C2 would make a good addition, since we're short that one! Our group generally occupies Row IN in the spaces numbered roughly 10-20 on the fairground map. They're a good group and will help you quickly get settled into the event and allay any confusion you might have about how things operate there. They took me under their wing when I first attended in 2012.

If you want to join us, enter through Gate 3; your gate pass will just let you drive straight onto the fairgrounds. The first thing you'll probably see inside Gate 3 is the area occupied by the C1 Solid Axle Club; the NCRS area is immediate beyond them. My car will probably be the best landmark for locating our group, since it's pretty unique (see photo in my signature). Our group is almost all there by sunrise, and after arriving most of us will walk over to the food court at the grandstand and get breakfast from the stand run by the local high school. Not sure where you're staying while attending the event, but if you're at the Park Inn in Mechanicsburg (where our group stays) you can follow one or more of us over to the fairgrounds and hang out with us in the evenings.

Some general tips:

• Bring a good supply of quarters. The public restrooms have attendants, and it's usually polite to toss a quarter or two into their tip basket; they generally do a pretty good job of keeping the facilities clean and well-stocked, given the number of people attending the event.
  • There is an area where you can wash your car, if you want to; but the fairgrounds only supplies the wash area with hoses; you'll need to bring your own supplies (bucket, rags, soap, etc.).
  • There are food vendors on the fairgrounds, but expect to pay 'captive audience' prices; it's advisable to bring your own snacks and water onto the fairgrounds with you.
  • If you can wedge them into your car, bringing along a folding chair or something portable to sit on is a good idea as well.
I'll PM you my contact information. Looking forward to meeting you!

Travel update

I will leaving ME tomorrow Thursday, 20th, heading for Lexington MA, and Bridgewater MA.
Work on car in MA and leave Friday ,21st for Columbus , Ohio.....
Leave Ohio for Parts unknown on Monday 8/24 Tuesday 8/24
Leave parts unknown for Pittsburgh , stay with son, 8/26
Leave Pittsburgh on 27th early am for Carlisle.
Leave Carlisle for Pittsburgh Sat afternoon to go back to Pittsburgh till Monday am, 31st...
Leave Pittsburgh...head to MD for party at 5 pm......lots of driving.... Monday , 31st...
Visit friends in MD on Sept 1-2 , head to ME via NJ/CT/NH/MA I think Sept 3-5.....

I don't know yet where I am staying as I cross PA on the way to Ohio
and I may be lost in southwestern Ohio / PA for 8/24-25..
or on the 21st as I dash across NY, PA, on the way to Ohio, so if you want me to photo your car and say hello....let me know

I hope we meet at Carlisle....I will phone will my location (Fun Field) once I get there...207-838-5695 cell

Jack

Ohio and PA just like I imagined.....

image.jpgView attachment 63213View attachment 63214First Day On Road To Carlisle. Lots of stories to tell. Computer down , post pictures tomorrow

Saw 58, 65, 63,63,63,03,04

Can only post on picture on phone. I leave for Columbus , Ohio tomorrow, and will be on Route 70 in PA by afternoon, looking for a place to land, PM me if you want me to stop by .

Jack

Last edited:
Jack, it was great to meet with you yesterday and see your car in person. It is always refreshing to meet a fellow Corvette owner that is so passionate about the car. Your stories and the '66 have inspired me to put more miles on my '58 and enjoy the car like I did back when I was eighteen. I am putting together some pics for you and a little history of the cars. Have a great trip. I hope all the bad weather stays behind you. SPEED SAFELY!

Don.

Hi, computer down, have to use phone to post . Rear end is great. At highway speeds 70-90 with average 75+ I got 16-17 mpg. About 3 mile per gallon then the 3:70Great time with Dahogan and Midyear Frank. I judged a big car show with them. Off on my own tomorrow, just driving back roads of Ohio and southern PA , no destination or member to visit till Wednesday , when I will be in Pittsburgh. Leave Pitt on Thursday for Carlisle.To members, if you live along Route 40/70 I will be on the road for two days, Let me know if you want to say hello and show me your car.Jack

Hi, computer down, have to use phone to post . Rear end is great. At highway speeds 70-90 with average 75+ I got 16-17 mpg. About 3 mile per gallon then the 3:70Great time with Dahogan and Midyear Frank. I judged a big car show with them. Off on my own tomorrow, just driving back roads of Ohio and southern PA , no destination or member to visit till Wednesday , when I will be in Pittsburgh. Leave Pitt on Thursday for Carlisle.To members, if you live along Route 40/70 I will be on the road for two days, Let me know if you want to say hello and show me your car.Jack
Nice, you sure have a great time.
Be sure to post some pictures of the big car show you judged :D

Hi , been traveling along routes 42,95-97-39 in Ohio . No cars, winding roads , nice people along the way . I stopped for the day in Dover , Ohio. Start up again on the country roads heading toward Pittsburgh on Wendsday .

Photos later if computer works on iPhone

Jack

How did I get here ? Just driving in the PA countryside and I am on top of a hill overlooking Corvettes at Carlisle. See you on Thursday. I am off for Pitt tomorrow and will be back early am on 27th opening day

Jack. Cell 207 838 5695

Attachments

• fairgrounds carlilse.jpg
    fairgrounds carlilse.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom