Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The car is packed and Europe awaits

I like this one the best - but the rest are very close second.

Reading what Rodinoma said in his post about items being stolen - I would remove the emblems before shipping and put them in my bags.

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 64
European Trip

I agree with 67Vet - The Corvette Stingray emblem is the best (and you might want to remove it if you can). Its an iconic emblem and it could get nicked - doubtful but it could. I remember bringing back my '87 Corvette to Port Newark back in 1988. I go to pick it up and the shipper asks me if the car is in fine fettle. I looked around and everything looked Ok. I got in the car, turned the engine, and turned on the stereo and I did not hear any sound coming out of the front door speakers. I looked down and noticed the speaker casings were askance. In France while the car was waiting to be shipped out they had all the time in the world to remove the actual Bose speakers and put the casings back on.

It was covered by insurance.

Driving a Corvette in Europe

I have attached a paper I had written for the C5/C6 Registry when they came to Europe a few years ago. It is below and attached.

Driving your C6 Corvette in Europe

Driving in Europe is different from what you are used to in the US of A. The most important difference is that driving skills are higher on average and driving styles are commensurately more aggressive. My observations and experiences might help make your driving trip in Europe just a little bit more enjoyable.

European drivers will give you a wide berth because of the car you are driving. There is a certain amount of respect for American cars – because of their rarity and their size. Europeans are fascinated with big-engined cars and no one does big as well as we do.

· Top Speed- If people stop to inquire about your Vette it will not be to ask about zero-to-sixty. On a continent where drivers can basically drive at the limit they will want to know your car’s top speed, a question that we rarely ask anymore in the US. In fact, most US car magazines and industry fact sheets don’t even report top speeds anymore. The top speed of a C5 is 275 km/h and the top speed of a C6 is 300-340 km/h depending on whether it is a base, Z06 or ZR1. Another common question is the Vette’s gas consumption: this is an obsession because the price of a gallon of unleaded is anywhere from $6.00 to $10.00. For this though you get unleaded with an octane rating of 95, 98 and 101 – try and find that back home!

· Speed Limits & Fines - The ‘official’ speed limit in France is 130 km/h [81 mph] but you can easily push this to 180 km/h [110 mph] with no real problems other than a potential €90 fine. If you are caught speeding above 180 km/h the fine goes to €5,000 regardless of how fast you are going. If you get caught above 180 they could, theoretically, confiscate the car. That does not normally happen to tourists. In 2001 I was caught doing 207 km/h on a drive down to Bordeaux from London in a supercharged Buick Park Avenue and was fined €500. But there was no confiscation, no lecture about my high speed and no points on my Connecticut license. Speed limits in Belgium are identical to France while in Germany they are anything from 100 km/h [62 mph] to unlimited, depending on where you are. In Italy the limit is also 130 km/h but for all intents and purposes is unlimited. Same in Spain – 130 km/h posted but unlimited in reality. In Switzerland it is also 130 km/h but there they are severe if you go much above it.

· Driving Efficiently - Because of the high speeds possible on European highways it usually makes more sense to take a highway from point A to B rather than a local or B-road – even when the highway takes you out of your way by 50-100 kilometers. Since distances are all marked in kilometers you will find Europe to be much ‘smaller’ than the US. It is not unusual to drive through 3-5 countries in a day. Besides, you have come to Europe to drive your car in a way that you cannot in the US – so don’t hold back! The highways are safer and much faster. In fact European highways, notwithstanding the higher speeds, are much safer than the US. For example, the UK, with a population of 60 million (1/5th of the US), had 225 highway deaths in 2009. If we try to compare that to the US we would in theory have 1,350 highway deaths across the fifty states. I believe the US figure was close to 20,000 highway deaths in 2009. Even if you account for the longer distances we drive, the greater frequency that we use our cars and the mismatch between SUVs and cars, that is still an enormous disparity.

· Radar Traps – French, and most European, highway police do not chase cars the way they do in the US. This is because French police cars do not have the capacity to outrun Vettes and other powerful cars. Hence their usual way of trapping speeders is to set up a radar gun between the last exit and the tollbooth. As you go through the tollbooth they walk over and pull you over. Therefore a way to avoid 90% of all speed traps is to know where the tollbooths are. Most highway gas stations sell a touring map made by Michelin that lists tollbooths. Obviously, if you fly by a police car at a 200 km/h they may radio ahead and tell their friends that you are coming through – but that has never happened to me in 20 years of fast driving through France. In any event 130-180 km/h is a comfortable cruising zone. Fixed radar locations have proliferated in Europe these past ten years and if you drive by them and get flashed you have nothing to worry about since your car will have a US number plate and cannot be traced.
· Left Lane Discipline - Left lane discipline is the key to safe driving on French and all European highways. In fact, I would identify this one discipline as the reason why I find European highway driving much more enjoyable and relaxing than driving in the States. You only use the left lane to pass. NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT. It is dangerous and bad form. Drivers in the slow lane will usually indicate with their yellow turn signal that they intend to pass the slower car in front and move into the fast lane. Drivers in Europe have a better concept of speed because they drive faster. If you are one kilometer back driving fast in the left lane with your headlamps on most drivers will not meander into the fast lane and obstruct your passage. They will respectfully wait for you to pass through before attempting the same. This, for someone used to driving in the US, is quite amazing to watch. Sometimes you will see drivers begin to drift into the left lane as they attempt to pass the car in front and brake suddenly and stay in their lane when they see you moving up fast in the left lane. Very cool!

· Flashing to Pass and Use of Turn Signals - Show the same courtesy to drivers flashing you from behind. Flashing to pass is not rude - it is just a sign for you to move over. If you are in the fast lane and the driver in front turns on his left turn signal it is a sign to you that he knows you are behind him and will move over to let you pass once he has overtaken. It is for the most part very civil. God (in the form of Chevrolet) gave you a turn signal stalk – use it, especially when changing lanes at highway speeds.

· Running in a Conga - This might be your first time driving in Europe and you are naturally feeling a bit anxious about driving your Corvette in this new environment. I know the feeling: I remember when I picked up my first Corvette at Havre in 1987. The drive down to Paris at speeds I had always dreamed of in the US was a revelation. But I soon got used to it and appreciated the better discipline and driving skills of the average European. You will revel in the freedom of driving in Europe – freedom from the highway patrol and more importantly freedom from erratic and inattentive drivers. In two previous trips organized by the C5 Registry we noticed that Registry drivers wanted to drive from point to point in a conga line. Driving in a conga line is tiring and forces all drivers to drive at the speed of the slowest driver. This requires an inordinate amount of attention and detracts from the freedom to drive at the speed at which you are most comfortable Drive off on your own and give each other an appointment at the next stop. Don’t worry, you won’t get lost – the road signage is excellent, the highways are better built than in the US and the C6 comes with GPS!

· GSM Capable Cellphone – If you don’t already have a US tri band phone, I urge you to buy one. With one of the bands being GSM you can stay in touch with other drivers and won’t get lost.

· Tollbooth Charges – French, Spanish and Italian highways take credit cards for payment and are very expensive. The Swiss make you pay a vignette of 40SF ($45) to use their highway system because there are no tollbooths. Belgium, the UK, Germany and Luxembourg do not charge to use their highway system and there are no tollbooths.

Hope these notes are helpful. Enjoy your drive in Europe

Jack,
Not being a member of the other forum - I can't open up the file to know what you are specifically looking for. I'd like to help but.......:w

Attachments

• P1030175a.jpg
    P1030175a.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P1030176a.jpg
    P1030176a.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 59
Ok

Jack,
Not being a member of the other forum - I can't open up the file to know what you are specifically looking for. I'd like to help but.......:w

I should have the link later.... you can do anything you like with the photos........be creative as if it was for yourself..

Jack

I Another common question is the Vette’s gas consumption: this is an obsession because the price of a gallon of unleaded is anywhere from $6.00 to $10.00. For this though you get unleaded with an octane rating of 95, 98 and 101 – try and find that back home!

Excellent info, and is spot on with what I learned while living Europe. Note that the gasoline octane rating systems are not the same in Europe and North America-

EU 95 = 90 here in N. Am
EU 98 = 93 here
EU 101 is approx 94.

:beer

Hi Vettehead Mikey - you are right about the different octane ratings. The original piece is 10-years old. At the time I was not aware of the different octane measurements between the US and Europe and I have forgotten to update that sentence since. But yes you are right. It looks good on paper! :)

Something about this one clicked best for me, Jack. I've always loved the Sting Ray emblem. :thumb

Rearemblem.jpg

I, too, could not access the attached forum link, but I'd love to see what they came up with.

Good info rodinoma!

:wJane Ann

one

Number 1 :w

The script matches and no lines to block your car.

About that gas cap...

Jack - Lots of great pictures to choose from, but I like the "gas cap". What I see is the suggestion of a full tank, the steering wheel and the great open road ahead in the gauzy distance waiting for a vagabond like you. Have a great trip!

- Kevin

Hello to All,

Most of you have been following my adventures for more than two years.

Without your help and encouragement, my trips would not have been possible.

The trip to Europe is a major undertaking and in order to create a documentary film , I am going to need help.

Please click on this link for details on my film project.

The Corvette is Packed and Europe Awaits ! by Jack Panzica — Kickstarter

Feel free to pass link on to friends who may also want to help

Jack aka Corvette Vagabond / jackfit :flag:

SHipped Corvette

You mention that your Corvette is ready to board a container ship. Are you containerising your Vette or putting on a standard Ro-Ro car shipper? Containerising it is much more expensive and of dubious value. The hundreds of thousands of cars shipped across the oceans do so on simple roll on - roll off ships. I have shipped 8 cars to Europe (including one that I airlifted through Fedex) and brought one back to the US of A and always on ro-ros for less than $1,000 (not the Fedex - that was $5,000) Yes, there is the potential for the cars to be scratched or scraped and for things to be nicked off them but it is rare. And I know of horror stories with cars not being properly tied down in the container and they break loose during the voyage and get knocked around like piñatas.

Anyway, let me know if you need more info.

Welcome in switzerland

Hello Forum Members......

I am going to spend the next two months doing research for a possible trip to Europe with my 66 Roaster.

I will attempt to drive to as many countries as possible in a 8 week period. Late August to October 2012

My goal will be to see and meet as many owners of classic corvettes in Europe as possible. Same format as my 48 state trip, back roads, stops at members houses, visits to castles, car collections , beaches, beer, wine, cheese and other continental wonders.

I will seek out "rare corvettes " that have found a home in Europe.

I will document this trip with pictures, posts and video for a possible documentary TV pilot project .

My posts over the next few months will contain information on the following subject:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

So buckle up your seat belts and get ready for a ride that "Buzz and Todd " would be proud of.......

Jack

Important ...... European Owners........

If you would like me to visit you , your car club and your car (s)

All generation corvettes are welcome ....

Please PM me with your location in Europe...... I will only put the town or nearby city on the map. Not your addresses........

As the map fills with with dots (locations) I will be able to draw a real route.

The map below will be the projected route. It covers most of Europe and will be the map that I will add the locations .

This will be the map you will click on to see trip progress. It may take a few moments to load.......

Rotterdam, The Netherlands to Rotterdam, The Netherlands - Google Maps

I better get cracking on my languages..........
Hello Jack
if you intend to visit Switzerland you will be welcome in the region of Geneva where I'm living.
my 66 coupe small block will be also happy to remember old memories of the United States with your car :beer
Yves

Corvette Vagabond Logo

I want to thank all of you who gave input to the design of a possible logo...My son Adam, took your opinions and used my photos and his emblem photos to create the webpage design of the Corvette Vagabond

Here is the link

Corvette Vagabond - Home Page

Let me know what you think

Jack

Nice car in the video.....about a wandering Vagabond

I thought you may like to see a video that some friends on the German Corvette forum posted.....about a Vagabond, I hope I don't have to carry my stuff in a bag with a stick

Der lachende Vagabund - YouTube

I wonder what year the car is ?

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom