Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The CATS are gone

bobmo

Corvette
1987 Bright red, 1974 coupe--Basket case
All,
Happy New year.
I have been struggling with my 87 coupe for years, and thinking it was just me not knowing how to drive a performance vehicle. It was hell for me to pull away from a light. Either I'd have to rev her up and slip the clutch to take off, or it would stall out. The rev up option also led to a lot of clutch chattering. I had a bucking proble at the low end of the shift range too.
But over the holiday weekend I changed out the front Y pipe (with CATS) for a no CAT version. Snapped 5 of the 6 studs, but thats a different story.
Anyway I drove her this morning and its like I have a new car, and learned how to drive it by sleep learning.
WHAT a difference!. She purrs, she breathes, she pulls away cleanly from stop signs. No BUCKING either. Life is just wonderful!
So thanks to all of you guys that had sugested this tip to others, it made a world of difference to this Vette, and her owner!

Oh, the cats must've been clogged up and the motor couldn't breathe, right?

I replaced the main CAT 2 years ago and that was a great improvment, actually it was essential.
The 2 smaller ones in the y pipe, were getting plugged, But not any more. She no longer is suffering from Catalyitic asthma!!

Good for you, you have just joined the club. Don't let these hippies preach global warming or any other crazy things they can blame on your non cat vehicle, its all nonsense. We have only been tracking weather since the late 1800's, we have not even come close to reaching the earths complete weather pattern. One day it will get cold again and that is when we will reach full circle. There is a little more to it than 4 seasons in 1 year. The big cool down will come in about 50 years.;shrug

I've been a club member for years!
I at least have the big CAT still in place, since it was $150 for a dummy pipe or $150 for the CAT. At least it will still pass the test when the inspectors check it when I finally sell it.

I am hardly a 'hippy'; far from it, but I am responsible enough to my kid's health to run a CAT on my high performance Vette, which I worked hard to get to pass CA SMOG. I am glad that the Chinese are finally addressing the tons of crap they have been pouring into OUR atmosphere. See, it all circulates and mixes... See: wind.

I would recommend finding out why the CATS are/were clogging. The car may be running to rich, for any number of reasons.

You may be close to a guy I have a lot of respect for. http://www.jimsperformance.com/

Jim is personable, very knowledgeable and amazingly adept at solving problems.

Is he a hippy;shrug

Sorry to touch on the global warming issues.
I'm not a hippy.
I dont buy the Global warming BS of Al G.
From what I have read the newer CATS do a better job than the older 2 stage CATS that were in the systems back in 87. And I still have the larger CAT in place.

If we were all conscious and concernened with non renebable fuel supply, the environment, etc, we would all be obliged to sell our fun cars and buy Pirius's.

From my understanding, which I admit is limited, having just the main cat is sufficient for emissions and still allows for performance. It's the little pup cats that really stink.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom