Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The corvette c6 and the c6 grand sport

ChildishEgg

What is the difference between the corvette c6 and the corvette c6 grand sport. Are they one in the same, Upgraded version than the other? Which one is better?

The Grand Sport has the Z06 widebody panels and different wheels and tires,

GS Capture.JPG

Besides the wide body factory flares and wider rims/tires, the Grand Sport upgrade has pretty much the Z51 suspension package. It's like a Z06 without the big 505 HP LS7 motor. The Automatic transmission version that I have doesn't have the dry sump or the hand built motor that the manual transmission version has, but otherwise, as far as I know, has all the trim and suspension upgrades that you'd find on a Z06. I guess GM feels that if you'll deal with paddle shift automatic trans, you don't deserve the more advanced dry sump or the attention of the hand built motor. Interestingly, for the 2012 C6, there were a bit over 11K Corvettes built and nearly half were Grand Sports according to what I can find:

I just sold off my 2013 2LT base model (my starter Vette) and still have my 2012 Grand Sport. I owned the both for a couple months, so have a good basis for comparison. The 2013 base 2LT is a competent car and a comfortable touring car. It's fast, handles well and stops well, but I never tracked it. The Grand Sport (no Magna Ride) transmits more road feel (rougher ride), but handles more like a slot car when cornering and has amazing brakes. While both have an LS3 and the same rear axel ratio (both automatics), the Grand Sport feels quicker. Maybe that's a function of more rubber on the road from the wider tires?

Besides the more aggressive styling and wider rim and tires, I think the overall experience of driving the Grand Sport is a better representation of what driving a Corvette should be like to me. The base model is comfortable and competent for casual driving. The Grand Sport is more focused on being a Sports Car vs just a Grand touring ride. It demands a bit more attention when driving. Mine is a 2LT trim in Velocity Yellow and I love it!

If I had to do it again, I'd try and find one with the Magna Ride and a 3LT trim with electric heated seats and adjustable steering wheel, but those upgrades will likely have to wait until I get a C8 once they hit the secondary market at more reasonable prices, if that ever happens. I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation hit. If that never happens, I'll be happy with my 2012 GS :)

Last edited:
Besides the wide body factory flares and wider rims/tires, the Grand Sport upgrade has pretty much the Z51 suspension package. It's like a Z06 without the big 505 HP LS7 motor. The Automatic transmission version that I have doesn't have the dry sump or the hand built motor that the manual transmission version has, but otherwise, as far as I know, has all the trim and suspension upgrades that you'd find on a Z06. I guess GM feels tha tif you'll deal with pa paddle shift automatic trans, you don't deserve the more advanced dry sump or the attention of the hand built motor. Interestingly, for the 2012 C6, there were a bit over 11K Corvettes built and nearly half were Grand Sports according to what I can find:

I just sold off my 2013 2LT base model and still have my 2012 Grand Sport (my starter Vette). I owned the both for a couple months, so have a good basis for comparison. The 2013 base 2LT is a competent car and a comfortable touring car. It's fast, handles well and stops well, but I never tracked it. The Grand Sport (no Magna Ride) transmits more road feel (rougher ride), but handles more like a slot car when cornering and has amazing brakes. While both have an LS3 and the same rear axel ratio (both automatics), the Grand Sport feels quicker. Maybe that's a function of more rubber on the road from the wider tires?

Besides the more aggressive styling and wider rim and tires, I think the overall experience of driving the Grand Sport is a better representation of what driving a Corvette should be like to me. The base model is comfortable and competent for casual driving. The Grand Sport is more focused on being a Sports Car vs just a Grand touring ride. It demands a bit more attention when driving. Mine is a 2LT trim in Velocity Yellow and I love it!
Thanks for the response!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom