Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

the decline of the C4

bucket

Corvette
is it just california or are prices dropping rapidly for the beloved C4 everywhere..
.you can get ;a decent C4 here for 6 or 7 thou ;shrug

is it just california or are prices dropping rapidly for the beloved C4 everywhere..
.you can get ;a decent C4 here for 6 or 7 thou ;shrug
Prices are dropping in Michigan too. I'm seeing C5's in the mid teens every day.

Yes they are dropping I bought an 85 for 4350.02 off of ebay:). I hope one day they will be 5 for a $1. That would be sweet. Corvettes(C4) are the only cars that are cheaper than used rice mobiles. But go like stick with a few mods. They come from the factory with race suspension, tubbed rear ends, and look cool. And still turn heads. Just the greatest buy for performance since people have been driving cars.

I love my C4 vettes and if prices drop some more I will buy another one, looking at getting a LT4 this time.

Most of the C4's and C5's that are that cheap on eBay are very high mileage and or beat up pretty bad. (At least the ones I see on there every day.)

Most of the C4's and C5's that are that cheap on eBay are very high mileage and or beat up pretty bad. (At least the ones I see on there every day.)

indeed. they look right at home in a washed-up trailer park.

check the los angeles craigs list..
very cool stuff like a 94 convertable for 8 thou and a few more with slick paint and fresh engines and wheels....
i agree they are the least expensive cool car in the world...
Lord , you cant buy a decent pick up truck for the same money..lol
but you can haul more than fertalizer in a corvette...
i guess its just the economy

Actually prices for C4's are up! Way up! For repairs, that is.

A stock high mileage vehicle is one thing... trying to find a 'vette that has not been all hacked up is the real challenge. There is nothing like trying to work on or repair somebody elses performance enhancements.

CG

Mine was near perfect. The trick to buying on ebay is to look for the items ending late at night and not on the weekend. I think some people screw up on the auction end dates. Mine is really nice it had 83,000 on it and runs great.

Prices in general I think are lower, however noticeable more than any would be C4 prices. I am seeing numerous early coupes for under 7k. Not saying these aren't beat to hell. C5's are also decreasing. I have had my eye on them for a while.

With that said, I am questioning getting a Grand Sport or Collectors Edition LT4 versus a C5 Z06. Those prices seem to be high. Those cars hold value better. This is the trend, convertibles, anniversary editions, and ZR1's. To be expected though.

If the trend continues will we be buying C4's for 2k and C6 Z06's for 25k?

Like you, I've been watching the C4 prices go down for quite awhile. Unfortunately, that is probably not going to change in the foreseeable future. At this time, the only C4's that are pretty much holding their value are the '96 Grand Sports and some of the ZR1's. There was such an enormous jump in technology and comfort when the C5's came on the scene, that the C4's seem to be ancient history. I don't mean to throw any insults because I have owned three C4's.

Elaine

:upthumbsweell its good new bad news...
the one ive got is worth about what i paid for it..(not counting repairs..lol)
the good news is the out of reach C5 is getting closer to my grasp...

I love my 96CE LT4. Love working on it (most of the time). In the Complete Book of Corvettes it mentions that they took over 1200 parts out when they went to the C5. They sure look simpler under the hood. I'm sure that would have a negative impact on the C4 price. With what I now know about C4 repairs, a C5 seems to be a lot less grief.
Hence low C4 price.

I love my 96CE LT4. Love working on it (most of the time). In the Complete Book of Corvettes it mentions that they took over 1200 parts out when they went to the C5. They sure look simpler under the hood. I'm sure that would have a negative impact on the C4 price. With what I now know about C4 repairs, a C5 seems to be a lot less grief.
Hence low C4 price.

C5's have their own little issues. Obviously, different that the C4, but you will still pull your hair out sometimes diagnosing a problem. You'll never have to worry about the waterpump / Optispark going south on you or all the symptoms that go along with it or the battery leaking acid underneath the battery tray and corrode wires and / or the computer tucked under there too.

CG

I have an 84 that I purchased from a GM exc. in 1985. It has been in storage for 17 years untill the 24th day of April of this year. (I hid it from my ex-wife).I had about $10,000. in extras added to the ext. of the car back in 89. It looked way ahead of it's time back then. I have made a few changes, she has a fresh coat of Black PPG paint and a new set of wheels, among countless other things. It turned heads back in 85, 89.
Everyone that sees it at the bodyshop loves the car. Awaiting the final sand and buff!
I love my C4! It is Still a CORVETTE! I can't wait to show her off!!

Post some pics when you get a chance. I would love to see :thumb

just the other day some guy came up and called my '90 "white trash". he was serious and i laughed. by the way, it's in excellent condition.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom