Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The last 67 on speed channel

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
I just completed watching a show on speed channel on the last 67 built, Definitely worth watching if you enjoy corvettes.

Now its known that this car has a restoration motor in it, I just wonder how it did in judging, Was it re stamped?

The show is just not about the car it has a ton of corvette history in it.

I personally don't see why all of the hype/value associated with it being the last 67,

I wonder how its going to do at BJ as I thought the owner of the car now was the guy purchasing all the high dollar vettes

I also watched the program. Thought it was interesting that the last 67 built was a loaded, big block coupe.

Too much filler and fluff to fill up three hours. I would have enjoyed a program about the restoration of the car rather than a diverse and disjointed history lesson on the Corvette. Almost went comatose during some of the program due to Pro Team advertising and commercial breaks.

Looking forward to a DVD release without commercials.

Rich

BADBIRDCAGE:

When the hype came out about the last '67, I thought of the same thing...loaded big block!!!

Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't that be one of the biggest hoaxes in Corvette history.

I didn't see the show. They must have shown some verification of the options.

If this is for real, I'm guessing 2 mil plus at Barrett.

Chuck M

...Too much filler and fluff to fill up three hours. I would have enjoyed a program about the restoration of the car rather than a diverse and disjointed history lesson on the Corvette. Almost went comatose during some of the program due to Pro Team advertising and commercial breaks...

:L

Well put!

Maybe it'll come close to that Sunkist orange 70 Hemi cuda (only 1 produced)that just auctioned for 2.3 mill.
I too am concerned w/ its originality. Proteam has a reputation for finding more rare optioned cars that where built.

I don't know if it's ever been judged. It was at the Indiana Regional but just on display. It's a nice enough car but you have to be some sort of Vette numbers trivia geek to pay 20 times it's true value just because it has a particular VIN. To me a similar and equally restored car with it's original engine ect. would be worth more. Wouldn't it be funny if some day the '67 build records were found and this car was proven to be a car built from a cowl section taked from a total loss?

The car is the real deal, and is fully documented; got a Top Flight at its first outing at Orlando in January, eight more at various Chapter Meets around the country, and again at the National in San Antonio in July. Also got Gold at Bloomington, and the Gold Spinner/Triple Crown at VetteFest. I've judged the car twice myself. It has a restoration motor that appears totally as typical of factory production, and that's the criteria used everywhere it's been judged.

Granted it's a promotional tool, but it's a real car with an absolutely stunning restoration.

I was surprised they didn't credit any of the many sponsors who donated parts and services to the restoration, or say anything about the Chip Miller Foundation, which will benefit from part of the B-J proceeds in January.

John Z Has spoken; it's a real car. I thought the show was pretty good; what's on TV these days that DOESN'T have a lot of commercials ? Most of the history I already knew, but it was nice to see hashed over again with some (never before seen by me) early footage of races and ZAD. I would have liked to have seen more of the restoration, though.

John Z Has spoken; it's a real car. I thought the show was pretty good; what's on TV these days that DOESN'T have a lot of commercials ? Most of the history I already knew, but it was nice to see hashed over again with some (never before seen by me) early footage of races and ZAD. I would have liked to have seen more of the restoration, though.

NOW you're talkin.

Rich

The car is the real deal, and is fully documented; got a Top Flight at its first outing at Orlando in January, eight more at various Chapter Meets around the country, and again at the National in San Antonio in July. Also got Gold at Bloomington, and the Gold Spinner/Triple Crown at VetteFest. I've judged the car twice myself. It has a restoration motor that appears totally as typical of factory production, and that's the criteria used everywhere it's been judged...

Tom Bryant said:
Wouldn't it be funny if some day the '67 build records were found and this car was proven to be a car built from a cowl section taked from a total loss?

Tom, that would be a funnier story! I agree with you- too much hype around one car.

BADBIRDCAGE:

When the hype came out about the last '67, I thought of the same thing...loaded big block!!!

Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't that be one of the biggest hoaxes in Corvette history.

I didn't see the show. They must have shown some verification of the options.

Chuck M

That car was for sale for a couple of years. I remember seeing it advertised for sale in Hemmings. I think the guy who had it, is a dealer (Bill Mock). I'm surprised the car was offered for sale for that long. I remember it being promoted as the last C2. I think they were asking $1m , initially. I don't know what they sold it for. They did a story about it in Corvette Enthusaist. I'm guessing the car will bring beyond stupid money. I think there is a raffle associated with guessing the final sale price. I saw something in one of the car mags for it. I'm guessing $2million and .02. That my .02

I recall reading something that Proteam paid around $225,000 before restoration started..

I recall reading something that Proteam paid around $225,000 before restoration started..

Terry Michaelis told me he paid $229,400 for the car. Same as the vin number. Then Nabers Brothers from Texas did the restoration, that would normally cost another $80 to $100k or so. Then trailering it all over the country adds a whole lot more expense.

They say upwards of $750 to $1m is expected at Barrett-Jackson. It will be quite a show in January. Thanks for the update John. Now you have my 2 cents to kick around.

I watched the program and did they ever show or say what they did to fix the block where that piece broke off? I thought that they said they were going to weld it, but I never got to finish watching the whole thing. Think you guys could fill me in? Thanks.

GLAD TO SEE BETTER HISTORY

I was really glad to see how they cleaned up most of the history. AMC has mis-quoted lots of car history, especially CORVETTES. The fresh good movie footage that many of us 'old timers' have seen before is contained in this presentation.

The interview with Dr. Dick Thompson and Dave MacDonald was taken at Milford, MI Test track in July 1962 when they each drove the 63 pilot line coupe and convertible. As great SCCA Corvette racers, Zora and the engineers wanted their feed back.

The following month, Dave, Bob Bondurant and Jerry Grant flew back to St. Louis to pick up 'their' new Z0-6 Big Tank coupes and after factory delivery, DROVE them back to the West Coast. These cars were to join the Mickey Thompson car at the Riverside Oct 62 Grand Prix 3-hour endurance race.

Sherry MacDonald accompanied her husband, and took 8 mm movies of the 3 day trip across old US 40 and Rt. 66. While visiting Sherry last year, I had the opportunity to view that movie that has now been put on DVD and VCR tape for her home library. She also had Riverside Raceway movies of the Oct 62 Grand Prix. Dave broke a half shaft, so got a DNF. Doug Hooper won that race in the Mickey Thompson Black Z0-6 #119 car.

I am working with Sherry today to get all of her and Dave's Corvette photos into a DVD that we can share with the Corvette community. Since Dave's tragic death at Indy in May 1964, a lot of his Corvette and Cobra history has never been told.

That's fantastic Jim. There is probably a lot more history in other people's private hands that we would like to see if only we knew where it was.

Tom

:L

Well put!
they did not want to show all the tricks the restorers used to fool the NCRS judges like using steel wool on the door jams to dull them to look like unbuffed lacquer

Chuck M
some fool with too much to drink and too much money will bid her up. i buy mine to drive and in my younger days race. when i take my dirt nap i want to go with a smile on my face saying i did with corvettes what you are suppost to do "drive the s--t of them." not put them in storage till the value goes up. JMHO

Chuck M
some fool with too much to drink and too much money will bid her up. i buy mine to drive and in my younger days race. when i take my dirt nap i want to go with a smile on my face saying i did with corvettes what you are suppost to do "drive the s--t of them." not put them in storage till the value goes up. JMHO

I agree. All the investors/neophytes have turned it into an art show. They'd nail them to the wall if they could.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom