Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The MiniRam & Ram Clutch conversion begins!

Yes!!!!!!!! The Eagle has landed. Now safe in its new home, we are getting ready to make some serious extra hsp!

Congratulations on a job well-done! :upthumbs

:L Hehehe... Rather than take away from your moment of elation now Chris, I'll crow about the new parts I received today:J, in my engine thread. :L

_ken :w

Some of you know that we have formed a team to make a bid for competition for the Junkyard Wars television show. This team is made up of CAC members. We met in person for the very first time this weekend to shoot the application video.

Turns out the 90 up on stands with the trans out made for a sweet back drop and visual prop for part of the video.

The other GREAT news is that I sold the GEO yesterday! So, with money going back into the bank Nikki will finally let me sleep in the bed again.

Pete (redmist) and Bob (nut) are the other two team members for our Junkyard Wars team CORVETTE COMMANDOS. I was hoping we would have enough time left over to at least bang the trans back in the car, but they had an early flight to catch this a.m. No worries, I will get it slammed in there and hope to be driving by this weekend.

Here is a picture of the three of us.

Bob Williams aka Nut is on the left. Pete Mooney aka Redmist on CACC and Brain for JYW in the middle, then me on the right.

I will do this a little different...............

I can't wait to get the car back up doing this again soon. Nikki was the pilot in this pic. Just found this on the web at the local SCCA Solo II site.

[
Dsc02692%20copy.jpg

Gettin' ready to roll.......

Hello Chris !

Just one thing Chris...... Man, you gotta love those long weekends, don't 'Ya ? thanks for the pic's and updates, and I look forward to hearing you describe the sound of those back tires are they try to dig up that asphalt !

:w
Steve.

Trans is in!

Okay, typical day for me. Up at 5, out of the house by 6:15, and home by 5:45. After a long day at work, a quick change of clothes, and off to the work shop. With Nikki's help I slammed in the trans, drive shaft, torque arm, and slave cylinder.

I am really hoping to have it to the exhaust shop by Saturday.

Headers next, then the mini ram goes on for good, then the front accessories. I will keep the pics coming.

air pump

chris do you know that the a.i.r. pump basicly only works on start up to help heat up the cat converters it is like fanning a fire just helps light off the cats when they are cooled down. if you are using them . my .02 steve:w :D

Re: air pump

bradfordsvettes said:
chris do you know that the a.i.r. pump basicly only works on start up to help heat up the cat converters it is like fanning a fire just helps light off the cats when they are cooled down. if you are using them . my .02 steve:w :D

Steve,

Do you see any reason then why I can/can't use the electric air pump (from a 95 or 96 LT-1) routed through some simple plumbing and check valves to do the trick? I guess I would just need to cycle it, maybe opposite of my electric cooling fan on the engine. That way the pump runs as long as the engine is cold.

What do you think?

air pump

you may be able to hook it up with a relay and temp sensor i would need to do some home work to see how long it runs foron start up it would vary most important cold are you using cats steve:s :w :Roll

Uncle Sam says I have to use the Cats. I am setting up an off road mod for when I autocross and drag race, as well as my daily driver. The main difference will be the CATS, fuel pressure regulator setting, and the air pump if any. I will have the exhaust shop build a pair of sweet large diameter pipes from the collectors into a custom H pipe back to the mufflers. This way I can bolt and unbolt the entire system Cat free for racing purposes. The stock system works the same way basically and with collectors welding into the front I can bolt/unbolt. Long ago we ditched the precats in favor of one center cat. Have never had a problem passing emissions tests as long as she is good and warmed up.

I could not believe how easy the Headman headers went on the car last night. I was prepared to fight, ding, bend, heat cut the bolts down, etc. etc, but they popped right in. In fact what makes this an even greater pleasure is the fact that I called Summit and asked for the cheapest headers they had to fit the car. The muffler shop will cut and weld the O2 bung for my O2 anyway, and I am looking into what to do with the air pump as you know here.

In looking at the LT1 air pump systems, they don't have an individual injection tube in each cylinder. They have a single injection tube in each manifold, and of course the CAT. My S10 had only one tube in each manifold where all the cylinders collected. So I don't see a big problem welding in a port in the collector while also doing the O2.

Anyway still researching that. I had a spare air pump that I disassembled last night and removed the inner pump fins. When I reinstall it will basically only be an idler pulley, and I am saving the original one and tubes in the event the electric does not work as intended.

My thinking here as well is you typically can get away with a newer engine in a car as long as it at least will pass the emission standards of the year model the car is titled as. So, if I am using a newer style emission design (electric) I can't imagine a visual test being a problem.

BTW, we no longer have emission tests in my area. However, I have learned the hard way over the years to plan ahead. No better time like the present since I have it all torn down.

air system

you could also run i pipe down to just before the cat at the y then there is 1 check valve and 1 pipeseeing you are using headers i suppose you could leave the pump out would take much longer for cat to lite off [to get to operating temp] steve:upthumbs :w

Latest Pics

Okay,

Thanks Steve & Keith.

Just finished torquing the intake manifold down.

Got the gutted air pump in place to basically become an idler pulley. Custom built a support bracket for the back side of the alternator to head bolt. Spark plugs are in, headers torqued, water pump, power steering pump etc.

Driver side.

Last pic complete with Beagle looming in the background looking for wire harness and gaskets to chew.

Chris, you really got me itching to get mine in. :J My builder called a little while ago to fill me in, so it keeps getting closer.

Looks good man! :upthumbs

Looking a little closer at the second image, you mentioned before when I asked about valve covers that I should be aware of clearance problems near the wiper motor. From what I can see of yours, there appears to be lots of room for the tall GM Performance covers. Do ya think so?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom