Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The New Stingray concept car

Really, really don't like it. Not sure of what it's designed to enhance, but it's not the Corvette. Right off the bat you can see that the driver can't see out of the car, the front end begs to have someone back into and over it. But it brings up another huge problem, why, why is it that the Japanese and European designers and engineers keep beating the pants off of us in sales and designing cars and trucks that Americans will buy ?

This, this 'Stringray' looks more like the 'Batmobile' than a replacement for the Corvette ! I know that the japanese lose money on the Prius's, but GM started out with a decent desinged 'Volt' concept car and now that car has completely disolved into something not like a Malibu, only looks a little different, but it's gonna cost $40.000 at the least and it's not going to seriously dent the Toyota Prius sales. But moreover, why are we always playing catch-up in engineering and design to Tokyo and Stuttgart, who keeps out designing us ? Where are they getting their junior engineers and designers from ? We keep complaining about the unfair sales tactics from overseas, but it all boils down to the fact that we Can't or Won't engineer and design cars that are attractive to domestic sales ?

The Chevy 'Volt' is not cast in stone, but a price at around $40K in close and that puts it out of the reach on the majority of basic Americans out looking at current models at around $25K. And there's a lot of people who can't afford to buy American models and instinctively head to Honda, Toyota and other japanese auto manufactures ? Why can't we compete? :ugh

Killain,
I think it should be noted that this was a concept vehicle developed specifically to appear as a 'character' in the upcoming Transformers movie. There's no evidence that this will actually find its way into production.

That said, I have to disagree with you. From various photos I've seen of it, it does have some marvellous angles. I just think it's the wrong color. It needs to be black.
:cool

It's interesting, that's for sure.

Killain,
I think it should be noted that this was a concept vehicle developed specifically to appear as a 'character' in the upcoming Transformers movie. There's no evidence that this will actually find its way into production.

That said, I have to disagree with you. From various photos I've seen of it, it does have some marvellous angles. I just think it's the wrong color. It needs to be black.
:cool

Yeah Patrick,

I understand that it's just a concept car, but to me, While it's just not my 'cup of tea' as they say. I definitely agree the color doesn't do it any justice.

I agree, the car itself is not nice looking and would be a bad production Vette. I think it experiments with a lot of different things like the stingray look, but with a modern twist. It is more of a showoff car, and maybe some pieces will be taken from it for the new design!

Cannot wait to see what GM does to the Vette! There is a lot riding on GM to not make a "bad" Vette! I would not worry though, they have never let us down!:cool

The car doesn't do justice to what the Vette has been morphing into the last 50+ years. Lets start at the front. The headlights are nearly nonexistant. Popup lights are a sign of a Corvette with the exeption of the C1 and C6. I think they should make a comback in the C7. Also, it looks like the car is smiling at you. Vettes are supposed to stare you down and just wait for you to try something. The sides are nice but could use a few tucks. Now the back. Oh my. What is this monstrosity. Look at your C1-C6 models. On the back you start with a round edge on a C1. The C2 made a slant to the bumper. The C3 flattend the rear and gave it a downward and an upward slant. C4 introduced the HUGE rearend. C5 took the C4 rearend and made it bigger and better, rounded the tailights (and on the front end gave it nice curves). The C6 took the C5 rear, tucked it with nice black plastic, and smoothed out the rough (if there are any) edges. The C7 concept for the Transformer movie is GM's attempt at a futuristic look. The changes should be more (I hate to use the word but) evelutionary from the rest of the Corvettes. In my opinion, this concept is an epic fail and shouldn't be the final product of Chevy's C7 Corvette. Thanks for reading.

I like the side view. From the front lt looks like a cross between a new Camaro and a Caddie. The rear view looks like :puke.

Very interesting... I wouldn't kick it out of my garage...

-Mac

The car doesn't do justice to what the Vette has been morphing into the last 50+ years. Lets start at the front. The headlights are nearly nonexistant. Popup lights are a sign of a Corvette with the exeption of the C1 and C6. I think they should make a comback in the C7. Also, it looks like the car is smiling at you. Vettes are supposed to stare you down and just wait for you to try something. The sides are nice but could use a few tucks. Now the back. Oh my. What is this monstrosity. Look at your C1-C6 models. On the back you start with a round edge on a C1. The C2 made a slant to the bumper. The C3 flattend the rear and gave it a downward and an upward slant. C4 introduced the HUGE rearend. C5 took the C4 rearend and made it bigger and better, rounded the tailights (and on the front end gave it nice curves). The C6 took the C5 rear, tucked it with nice black plastic, and smoothed out the rough (if there are any) edges. The C7 concept for the Transformer movie is GM's attempt at a futuristic look. The changes should be more (I hate to use the word but) evelutionary from the rest of the Corvettes. In my opinion, this concept is an epic fail and shouldn't be the final product of Chevy's C7 Corvette. Thanks for reading.

Well I've donated my two cents worth on this, this 'thing' but i think that it doesn't have the John Cafaro styling touch. I'm biased in so much as i've NEVER been a fan of the 'Retro' styling attempts. The HRR does not remind me of a 1950's chevy panel truck. Just like the Chrysler PT Cruiser reminds me of Nothing I've see in the past. A 1949 Ford was a direct design that if you try to Retro it, it comes out looking like something the local elementary school students drew up one afternoon while looking out the schools windows at traffic going by.

And I had been hoping the rebirth of the Camaro would follow in the the steps of the 1995 Camaro Z-28, but it came out looking like. . .? I don't know. The front of it looks like it's ready to cry and the sides look like a piano fell on it from the fifth floor. and then the back, Where's the Camaro style here ? I guess I'm just old fashioned, but when I look at a new restyled car, I'd like it to look like something I remember from the last that were produced. However i read somewhere that the GM executives gave the Camaro restyling to a Japanese, a German and a Swedish graduate students to design. young and bright, but since their in their twenties they haven't got a clue as to what the Camaro was back before they were even born. I think the 'Yenko' Chevrolet shop would of had a hell of a job building anything out of the present car. :ugh

I think the dodge Challanger looks a whole lot better in a retro style.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom