Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The old C4 Cliché: Hood issues.

Will

Corvette
1987 Medium Blue Targa\Coupe
I have been looking around this site and found many posts about problems with the hood on 80's Vette’s like mine. Most of which deal with the hood being unable to open.
I on the other hand have little trouble opening the hood on my 87 Vette, its the closing it properly that cause problems.
The hood never seems to shut flush with the car unless I slam the hood down. I cant keep slamming the hood down like this because I imagine one day shattering the windscreen with the force among other possible damage.

Because I am usually opening & closing the hood on my own, I cannot push down on both sides to allow it to lock into place properly. Hence unless I slam the hood down one side ends up a bit higher then the other (nether of which seem securely locked) and I can see the hood vibrate a bit as I drive.

I think Mid America Motorworks offer (or used to offer) some kind of product that could fix this type of problem, but I am currently having little success finding it on their website.

What about adjusting the latches?

The hood latch pins are adjustable and it sounds like one of them is off just a bit. The pins have slotted tips and you can use a flat-blade screwdriver to adjust them. Turn then counter-clockwise to lengthen the pin which will allow it to sit futher down in the latch. Apply a liberal coat of bearing grease to the chamfered edge of the pin and also inside the hole in the latch where the pin goes thru.

There are also height adjustment studs located about 3" behind each latching mechanism. It should have a 1" round rubber bumper on it. This stud can be adjusted by turning it to get the correct height. If they are too high, the hood pins may not be able to go far enough into the latch and lock in place.

The hood on my 87 latches easily; I just lower the hood down until the pins are sitting on the latches and push gently on either side of the hood just forward of the latch pin. I can also latch both sides at the same tine by dropping the hood from about a foot away from the latches.

Thanks everyone! :)

I didn't know that the bonnet latches were adjustable until I had a look though the Chilton's book last night. A very convenient feature indeed.

This is good news as it means I do not need any replacement parts

Make certain they're properly lubricated as well (DO NOT use white grease!)... best stuff on the planet is Wurth HHS-2000, which sprays in a penetrating oil, then sets up as a high-temp grease. In 26 years of being in the field, I've never seen anything else like it.

PM me if you're interested in some.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom