Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The "Ripper" is on the way!

hi there guys,
sorry to hijack your thread but i was wandering the difference between the b&m shifter and the hurst shifter as far the shift distance?

which has the shorter shift between the two shifters?

i am leaning towards the b&m shifter i think!

thanks
merry christmas guys!

Glen,

Looks like you're spending a lot of money on the 'Vette! :D

sxyvet said:
hi there guys,
sorry to hijack your thread but i was wandering the difference between the b&m shifter and the hurst shifter as far the shift distance?

which has the shorter shift between the two shifters?

i am leaning towards the b&m shifter i think!

thanks
merry christmas guys!

The B&M has much shorter throws. Bill showed me the two side by side and the B&M uses entirely new parts for a completely different shift feel whereas the Hurst primarily uses the stock parts but w/ a shorter stick. If you want to retain the stock feel but w/ shorter throws, then the Hurst is probably the way to go, but if you want that real notchy racing shifter feel w/ much shorter throws then the B&M is for you.

Merry Xmas,
Jeff

hi edmond,
yep i plan to spend another $35,000 aus dollars on her to make her fully modded and all like new again!
thanks
glen

hi jeff,
thanks for the info r.e b&m shifter!
i think the b&m shifter is the way to go mate!
thanks
glen
sxyvet
Australia

Shifter knob

Jeff,
When you get the ripper put in...could you watch and tell me how in the he$$ you get the stock shifter knob off!!! I have pulled, wiggled, and rocked the metal keeper key and cannot get it to budge. All I get is metal shavings coming off of the keeper. What is holding this thing in there??

I could not get the knob off the previous 96 I had either...so there must be a trick to it or something. How does Doc get it the keeper out?

Thanks,
Lanny

LannyL81 said:
Jeff,
When you get the ripper put in...could you watch and tell me how in the he$$ you get the stock shifter knob off!!! I have pulled, wiggled, and rocked the metal keeper key and cannot get it to budge. All I get is metal shavings coming off of the keeper. What is holding this thing in there??

I could not get the knob off the previous 96 I had either...so there must be a trick to it or something. How does Doc get it the keeper out?

Thanks,
Lanny

Lanny,
Yes, they are a PITA! Bill uses vice-grips and has a technique that basically involves removing the roof panel and standing over the shifter w/ one foot on each sill. Works like a charm. :D
Jeff

Holy Shift Batman......Well......guess that explains why I could not get the keeper out!!! I was just sitting in the passenger seat and pulling with both hands. After about 10 min of getting nowhere, I was thinking about removing the glass roof before the pliers slipped and ended up going through the roof.....but did not think it should take this much effort!!

Guess it is time to remove roof and then get really serious about pulling. All I want to do is to clean under the shifter console.....geeze...what did GM use a sledge hammer to put it in??

Thanks Jeff.
Lanny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom