Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Seventh Hole

As some of you old timers may remember the '55 thru 57's didn't use a crossmember under the tail of the transmission. Instead the engine had mounts on the FRONT of the block and on each side of the cast iron bellhousing so the transmission literally hung from the rear of the engine. As the transmission was hung the rear of the block had 7 bolt holes (the 7th being at the top/center). Starting in '58 crossmembers started being used so the 7th hole was no longer needed but (I think) the engine blocks still had that 7th hole up until the big blocks and 350's. Do any of you old timers know for sure when that 7th bolt hole was finally eliminated?

I like the 19th hole!😎

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't remember if my '82's block has the 7th hole. I know neither of my 454's have it but I'm not sure if ALL the small blocks have it. I would think G.M. would have retained it for those few cases where a later engine was transplanted into a '55 thru '57.

When I made my engine stand I included the 7th hole in my engine mount plate just in case I ever need it. None of the aluminum bell housings since the late 50's have that 7th hole but I remember my cast iron Powerglide had one. I don't think any of the TH350's or TH400's have that 7th hole either so maybe only the cast iron bell housings had one.

Gotta love the title. :)

Passenger cars had side mounted transmission mounts, but 53-57 Corvettes had a rear transmission crossmember & cushion that secured the tailshaft of the transmission. Passenger car and Corvette engine mounts & transmission mounts have nothing in common with each other.

So have we now become Passenger Car Action Center?

And Country Club...

Pardon me... do you have any Gray Poupon? LOL

Mac

Passenger cars had side mounted transmission mounts, but 53-57 Corvettes had a rear transmission crossmember & cushion that secured the tailshaft of the transmission. Passenger car and Corvette engine mounts & transmission mounts have nothing in common with each other.

My question was "when did the 7th hole disappear"? Did it disappear when the 350's came along?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom