Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thermostat Question?

Robertwav1

Corvette
1993 Blue
1993 guys and I'm draining all the old anti-freeze. I'm replacing knock sensors just because ther out of the car. I live in Florida and haven't had any issues cooling but I'm wondering if I should leave the thermostat out. Never use heat here. The inside of the car warms up pretty good even without the heat on as I remember from up north. Well, need your thoughts on the stat....good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!

1993 guys and I'm draining all the old anti-freeze. I'm replacing knock sensors just because ther out of the car. I live in Florida and haven't had any issues cooling but I'm wondering if I should leave the thermostat out. Never use heat here. The inside of the car warms up pretty good even without the heat on as I remember from up north. Well, need your thoughts on the stat....good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!

No, bad idea. Always use a thermostat, the PCM is dependent upon it for correct timing and fuel programming and so are engine internals for the correct warm up cycle.

Stay with the OEM thermostat if possible.

Last edited:
The engine will most likely overheat without a thermostat , coolant moves to fast to transfer heat.

Thanks all, glad I asked. Gonna flush the block and radiator with some fresh water. Book says take the thermostat out when doing this but it sort of contradicts itself saying to run the fresh water through just till the thermo opens. Maybe they mean remove the stat just for the draining process and then put it back?

LT1, leave the thermostat in.

LT5, remove the 'stat for flushing then reinstall for the final fill.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom