Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thermostat trick...?

I must say that this is one of the most civilized forums I've been on. Many different opinions, and no flames. Also some interesting points of view. The question about hotter temperatures and head gaskets is a good one. The only time I've had head gasket problems was when my electric fan malfunctioned and let the temperature go way up. Could a cooler thermostat mitigate head gasket problems, or does the thermostat only affect the time to get to operating temperature? I'm starting to believe that once the car is at operating temperature the thermostat is open for business and has no more effect on the temperature.
Your thoughts?

I think my thermostat was stuck open when I first got it. Because the temp was around 160. Put in a new stat, and the temp went up. Right now I have a 195 Robertshaw thermostat. I checked in on the stove, and it starts opening at 180. Where as the 195 stant starts opening up at around 195.

Riding around town, my temp is around 175. If I idle for a while with the heat on, it stays under 200. If I idle for a while with the heat/ac off, then it goes on up to the 230 or so till the fans kick on.

But with me driving around town it is staying around 175-180. So, I guess I don't sit long enough at stop lights for the temp to go up. So, I'm sure if I had the 195 stant in, then my temps would be higher running around town.

i was just sharing what i have done for almost 40 yrs of drag racing having started doing so at fremont raceway in 1970. your rodster was mostlikely carbed .and didnt have the close confines of a c4 under hood .i also had 2 mods done 1 had the fan temps changed to on at 180 ,2 also put in a toggle switch to turn the fans on in the staging lanes to keep the temps down. decide for your self what you want to do . i do think that modding the prom to turn the fans on earlier can help prevent cooling related problems . ie headgaskets, i also think that keeping the timing curve intact and the knock sensor in good shape can help head gasket issues . anytime one has a motor with a cast blk and alluminum heads, headgaskets can be an issue if you dont keep temps in line .jmho

also the robert shaw therm is an awsome addition, they offer a balanced flow and lock open if they fail .

If a corvette owner wishes to put a cooler thermostat in their car, all the power to them. Other owners prefer not too. Lets leave it at that. Both owners could present very good arguments.

Now, with that said, putting a cooler thermostat in, in order to benefit, would require modifying the cooling fan on temps.

done, have adjustable thermostst

If you ran the car cooler like at 180, would that reduce the chance of getting a headgasket leak compared to running it at 200? Or would it not matter? I know the mid-late L98's tend to get head gasket failures at the back of the block.

it's all about the pressure..
who's to say how much more pressure is produced with higher temps, but we all know that if we heat something it expands....right?
it's gotta go somewhere

on the t body bypas just buy a longer hose to connect the 2 hoses that go into either side of the t body .

and two hose clamps and a coupling you can get at yer local lumber/ hardware store.

I must say that this is one of the most civilized forums I've been on. Many different opinions, and no flames. Also some interesting points of view. The question about hotter temperatures and head gaskets is a good one. The only time I've had head gasket problems was when my electric fan malfunctioned and let the temperature go way up. Could a cooler thermostat mitigate head gasket problems, or does the thermostat only affect the time to get to operating temperature? I'm starting to believe that once the car is at operating temperature the thermostat is open for business and has no more effect on the temperature.
Your thoughts?

it cycles , especially on the freeway at nite....
always obey all speed laws, of course..
but it will run cooler at mid rpm than at idle...
so..when cruzin us a lower gear...lol im jus sayin

In conclusion:
We all agree on one thing,
we need an adjustable thermostat

I've got a flyer in the mail for a local shop for a $20 oil change. I've probably gotten 5 of these things in the mail. They list alot of things I guess like the Point Inspections they do. I never did buy into that like at the Dealer, as I really don't believe they do all those checks like they have listed.

Anyways, one of the things listed they check is "thermostat operation". Haha, I really doubt while they are changing the oil, they check the operation of the thermostat. They also have listed "emergency brake". I really doubt every car they change the oil on. They spend time checking the thermostat operation, emergency brake, etc. including the defroster and the 20 other things they have listed.

I need to get an oil change anyways. While I'm there, I may just ask how they check the operation of the thermostat. Only way I know is to remove it and stick it on the stove. haha.

I've got a flyer in the mail for a local shop for a $20 oil change. I've probably gotten 5 of these things in the mail. They list alot of things I guess like the Point Inspections they do. I never did buy into that like at the Dealer, as I really don't believe they do all those checks like they have listed.

Anyways, one of the things listed they check is "thermostat operation". Haha, I really doubt while they are changing the oil, they check the operation of the thermostat. They also have listed "emergency brake". I really doubt every car they change the oil on. They spend time checking the thermostat operation, emergency brake, etc. including the defroster and the 20 other things they have listed.

I need to get an oil change anyways. While I'm there, I may just ask how they check the operation of the thermostat. Only way I know is to remove it and stick it on the stove. haha.

it's all about the Benjamin's...the more stuff you let them do the more they will do.
two years ago the honda dealer was adamant to my wife about needing new brake pads(several hundred bucks on an accord) it's been two years and the pads are still just fine.....for example

Thermal Stats

Goodnight, George!
Will anyone know what this refers to??

it's all about the Benjamin's...the more stuff you let them do the more they will do.
two years ago the honda dealer was adamant to my wife about needing new brake pads(several hundred bucks on an accord) it's been two years and the pads are still just fine.....for example

No, all of that stuff it says they check and is included in the $20 oil change. There are like 15-20 other things they say they check for. It's like when you go to the dealer and they say they do 40 point inspections with your oil change. I really don't believe any place does all of those inspections. I know when I had my Vette at the dealer years ago for an oil change, they didn't check the tires. Cause 2 of them were past due to be replaced. Yet tires is part of their point inspections.

But I just found it odd this shop has listed "Thermostat Operation" as one of it's point inspections. I have never heard of a shop checking the operation of your thermostat while it is in for an oil change. I don't even see how they could check the operation of the thermostat without removing it?

No, all of that stuff it says they check and is included in the $20 oil change. There are like 15-20 other things they say they check for. It's like when you go to the dealer and they say they do 40 point inspections with your oil change. I really don't believe any place does all of those inspections. I know when I had my Vette at the dealer years ago for an oil change, they didn't check the tires. Cause 2 of them were past due to be replaced. Yet tires is part of their point inspections.

But I just found it odd this shop has listed "Thermostat Operation" as one of it's point inspections. I have never heard of a shop checking the operation of your thermostat while it is in for an oil change. I don't even see how they could check the operation of the thermostat without removing it?

let us know how they check it when you call their bluff

let us know how they check it when you call their bluff

Haha. Yeah. I'm betting they say something like they check to see if it over heats or something. I do need to get the front suspension checked out. The tie rods and ball joints as it likes to pull on bad roads. So, I'm hoping they at least know how to check those things out, but not so sure now after reading they check the thermostat operation during an oil change.

Knowing how a thermostat works I don't believe it is just open or shut. The thermostat modulates just slightly.
If you watch carefully you can actually see the gauge move up and down a little as the thermostat works.

Glenn
:w

Knowing how a thermostat works I don't believe it is just open or shut. The thermostat modulates just slightly.
If you watch carefully you can actually see the gauge move up and down a little as the thermostat works.

Glenn
:w
Hi all, Absolutely, Glenn. Here I go again. The manufacturer designs an engine to run at a certain temperature the sooner it is allowed to get there the better, IMHO. It seems that some opinion is, GM raised temperatures only to pass emmisions, knowing so doing would unnecessarily subject the engine to conditions, with which it was unable to cope, thus shortening life.Can this be true ? Belated Merry Christmas to all. Roger. :beer

Hi all, Absolutely, Glenn. Here I go again. The manufacturer designs an engine to run at a certain temperature the sooner it is allowed to get there the better, IMHO. It seems that some opinion is, GM raised temperatures only to pass emmisions, knowing so doing would unnecessarily subject the engine to conditions, with which it was unable to cope, thus shortening life.Can this be true ? Belated Merry Christmas to all. Roger. :beer
I believe GM just cares about getting through the warranty period.

i crammed a towel under the tank hose and snatched it, and elevated said hose higher than tank...
lost , maybe one coffee cup of fluid...
replaced everything and , test drive to the car wash..
sure enough, my baby runs 30 degrees cooler..174..
throttle response is up and air conditioner is down...
yay!
thanx for all the input
happy new year

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom