Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

thermostat

regalniz

Corvette
94 Polo Green Convertible w/auto
i just got my thermostat in the mail. what do i need to know before, during, and after installation. pretend im an idiot.

Dear Idiot,

Just kidding.:) Not much involved here really. Make sure you have a good gasket before you do the job. DON'T get a cork one, spend the extra few bucks for a good one. I didn't use any extra sealant either. Have a towel handy, and just take it one step at a time remembering how everything came off cause it has to go back on the same way. A few tools you won't need: A hammer. A rounded off screwdriver. Vicegrips. Duct tape. (that means my Dad couldn't handle this one :L) Seriously, this is one of the easier things you can do to a vette. Good luck, but you won't need it.
--Drew:w

I almost forgot

you will need to clean the houseing and block of the old gasket material very well. A 1" putty knife will help here. You also can't get any of the old gasket crap in the hole the old t-stat came out of so stuff something into the hole (like a piece of rag or plastic) to keep the crap out.

Drewser,
He's got an LT1. No gasket crap to clean or replace. I'm swapping out my tstat right now. What a breeze! The 2-wat tstat in these cars come with a rubber gasket on them that acts like a big o-ring and seals it in the housing. I must admit that this is the easiest and most pleasant experience I have ever had with tstats.

regalniz,
no we won't pretend you're an idiot. if we did we would tell you to never ever lift the hood and touch anything, ever! ;)
loosen the radiator cap on the upper reservoir. you need to drain off a little coolant from the radiator. just loosen the petcock at the bottom and let some out. remove the funnel that goes from the air filter to the TB. there is your tstat houseing. just loosen the 2 - 5/16" bolts and pull them out. gently wiggle the top and pull it up. you'll have to pry the thermostat a little to get it out. don't go jamming a screwdriver in there. take a small pair of pliars and grab the top of the tstat and wiggle it until you can lift it out. wipe the area dry. put new tstat in. bolt down the cover and reinstall your air funnel back. then add a little coolant to the reservoir. start the car and loosen the screw that bleeds air from the cooling system. it's on the tstat housing. just gets a little air out. make sure the upper reservoir is topped off. close and seal the radiator cap. just check your coolant level after you shut the car down and it is cool. that's really about it.

graham

Ya Regal, what VMS said,Its Cake sort of speaking,just remember to stuff a rag under the tstat housing so incase any fluid does not get to the opticrap,shouldnt be a problem, but ya never know,other then that it is a smooth job.catch ya on the road..i finally made it to the speedway Regal!blew off a best time of 13.92, what fun,hope to see ya around...HaPpY MoToRiNg.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom