Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking about Leaving the Vette World

Corvette
2001 Z06
Really just a short timer compared to most of you folks. Have had multiple Vettes since 2004 (89, 99, 01). As I have gotten older (68), it's gotten to be a minor struggle getting in and out of the car plus even minor maintenance isn't approached with any enthusiasm that I had even 2 years ago. 2 years ago I was considering selling my 99 but happened upon an 01 Z06 with very low mileage and a great price. I am still liking this Z06 but my interest/willingness in maintaining it has really dropped. I am considering selling both the Vette(45k miles) and my daily(not so much lately) driver (Lexus ES350. 110k miles). Have my eye on a 2015 Mustang GT(25k miles) that is clean and in excellent shape that, as things stand now, would be my toy and daily driver since this Covid hit, I drive probably 60 miles a week. I am still working, at home, and have been pretty much assured that working from home is permanent. As for the Mustang, the last new car I bought was an 06 Mustang GT and had it for 10 years and 186k miles with the only issue being changing the OEM plugs in those engines. That car served as my daily driver for 10 years and ran like new the whole time. Trying to catch that magic again while looking at the 2015 GT.

Thoughts? Comments? Shunning??

Well, you must do what you must. I guess my question is...Is the Mustang really easier in entry and egress? My Daughters' father-in law has a 2014 (i think that's the year) Mustang GT Convertible, and I thought it was just about the same getting in and out as 007.

Good luck with the sale of your Z06 and the purchase of the Mustang.

As Tom said, you must do what you feel is right. As for ease of getting in and out, you might want to check out an exercise program at your local gym to get all those muscles and joints moving again. As for maintenance, let somebody else do it now and just enjoy the driving.

Appreciate all comments, thank you. As I said, I was considering dialing down to one car as opposed to two, every day I wake up feeling differently about what I will do. Tuna, you are right about getting involved in an exercise program, since I started working from home, I am not as active as I used to be. I think alot of what i am feeling is just coming to grips with age, hell I played softball and ALOT of tennis until 3 years ago (stopped due to foot problems) but have seen a steady decline since then, some from inactivity and some from just getting older. Reality hit when I woke up one day and said OMG, I am old now. Maybe I am lucky that I always flew by the adage 'how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were'

I did test drive that 2015 Mustang a couple hours ago, I am gonna pass on it..Even with a clean carfax, it just didn't feel right driving, seemed the front end was way out of alignment..curb rash on rims turned me off at the get-go. Felt like yeah, 25K miles but betting they were hard miles.

I understand. I'm 70 and retired. My wife and I get out and walk or bike ride a few times each week just to keep everything moving. Seems to help.
Like you, I used to do some routine maintenance on my cars but not anymore. I pay people to do that now.
Best wishes with your decision.

I darn sure understand the feeling older part, Otter. 007 is what motivates me to take care of myself and driving 007 makes me feel young at heart. A Mustang might be able to give me that same feeling, but Corvettes have been in my blood so long, I doubt any other car would do it. keep reminding yourself of your adage......

Old Bastard Here, 2 Hearty Acck s down and they'll have to bury me in my C5 !~!!:thumb:thumb

I sure hope you keep re-thinking getting rid of the Corvette!! Yes, they get a little harder to get in and out of, but once you're in...oh, what a ride!! My husband and I are older than you and downsized to just one Corvette a few years ago. Cannot imagine not having one, but that's everyone's choice.

Elaine

Really just a short timer compared to most of you folks. Have had multiple Vettes since 2004 (89, 99, 01). As I have gotten older (68), it's gotten to be a minor struggle getting in and out of the car plus even minor maintenance isn't approached with any enthusiasm that I had even 2 years ago. 2 years ago I was considering selling my 99 but happened upon an 01 Z06 with very low mileage and a great price. I am still liking this Z06 but my interest/willingness in maintaining it has really dropped. I am considering selling both the Vette(45k miles) and my daily(not so much lately) driver (Lexus ES350. 110k miles). Have my eye on a 2015 Mustang GT(25k miles) that is clean and in excellent shape that, as things stand now, would be my toy and daily driver since this Covid hit, I drive probably 60 miles a week. I am still working, at home, and have been pretty much assured that working from home is permanent. As for the Mustang, the last new car I bought was an 06 Mustang GT and had it for 10 years and 186k miles with the only issue being changing the OEM plugs in those engines. That car served as my daily driver for 10 years and ran like new the whole time. Trying to catch that magic again while looking at the 2015 GT.

Turned 75 last month and still enjoy driving my '85 C-4 with 120k miles on it. I intentionally limit the extent of maintenance that I do [impaired vision in right eye], but just replaced the door panel on the passenger side. Always amazes me the number of people who stop to comment on the car....How old is it?...How long have you owned it?...Sure is a beauty! My spouse had hip replacement in December, 2019. While not as flexible as she used to be [me either], she prefers taking the Vette, now stored for the winter, for a ride when the weather permits over her 2017 Lincoln. Something very special about a Vette! Best wishes for the holiday!!

I was Vette less for a bit after selling the 78,85 & 90 . Was a PITA maintaining 3. I always say I'll never buy another Vette.Its in the blood & a transfusion wont help. Good luck in whatever you choose.

No worries, I am cured now from wanting to sell the vette and buy another car. Swapped my wife's 2016 Explorer Platinum for 2019 Lexus ES350 yesterday..I don't want to see the inside of a dealership for at least a couple more years.

Actually made up my mind Friday not to sell. Had to run down to my office (which I hadn't seen but twice in the last 9 months) and took the vette. Typically a 90 mile round trip but did some exploring of the many country roads of southern Maryland on the ride back. Love driving this car and decided I would be kicking my self in the butt if I gave it up. No issues with the car but I do want to upgrade the radio, will start saving and planning for that now that I got my mind right.

Thanks for all the comments, appreciate the feedback.

Glad ya got your mind right !
72956b6310cf1d3553e42b85e6eb315a.jpg

I have put on a few or more pounds over the last year. Been fighting it but I like food too much. I have a treadmill, elliptical. and various weights and gadgets downstairs in a dedicated exercise room with tv and I've been hitting it a minimum of 3 days a week for the last couple of months. I have a friend that goes to a gym but it's just not for me. I'm still doing all the maintenance on the Corvettes but I don't often touch the other cars except for an occasional wash and bulb replacement. I'm still in the middle of 2 restorations so I can't stop now. I have to get them done before I'm done.

Otter- I think it might be Cadillac CTS time for you. the 2021 CT4-V Blackwing requires checking out. 6-speed manual, 472 hp, and the dealer handles all of your maintenance chores. The best of all possible worlds! Dump the Corvettes and take the giant leap. Carpe Diem baby! The alternative is working out daily, radical diet change and some yoga. To hell with that! FYI I have owned two C4s (1984 and current 1995) and I have never really had much trouble getting in and out. I have never attempted ingress/egress in any generation above C4 but isn't it better than the C4? Good luck and happy motoring!

I'm 74, now with the 20th Corvette I've owned or co-owned and hope I get to enjoy this C6Z Ron Fellows for the rest of my days! Keep enjoying your car for many years to come!

DSC_1909 copy (1).jpeg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom