Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking Of Getting a C5 Z06....Tips?

Rogue

Corvette
1991 Turquoise Metallic Coupe
Hi Everyone. I have been a member here since 2003. I currently have a 1991 C4 Base Coupe. In the past 7 years I have spent a lot of time and $$ making my C4 as good as possible. The car is nearly perfect except for needing a rebuilt on her shocks, new weatherstripping, and new rubber on her suspension. Otherwise, she is great. However, after 7 years of ownership, I think it's time.

I have enough finances to buy a C6 new. However, the $50k+ price tag makes me nervous. Not only that, I know the insurance is going to be sky high, so is the Californai DMV registration. Not even sure how much the maintenance would be. So I am keeping my other option open of buying a C5 Z06.

I have always wanted the C5 Z06 back when it was the king. Today, C5 Z's are much more affordable. I feel more comfortable paying $30k rather than $55k! In addition, I'm theorizing I won't miss much of the C6's power. So I have several questions for you "Z" owners.

1) If I chose a C5 Z06, I plan to only buy a low mileage (less than 20k miles) 2004. What should I look out for in this model car and this model year?

2) How reliable are the '04 Z06's? I am willing to fix most small issues on my cars. But I don't want to have to fix big issues such as powertrain and electronic shortcomings that will cost more than $1500 a pop. I mean, if I will end up spending $10k to get a $30k car near perfect, then I may as well get a used C6. Am I logically thinking this properly?

3) Common issues?

4) Am I crazy? Or should I just jump and buy a used C6 for $40k+? Is the C6 that much better than a C5 Z06?

5) I plan to use the car as a weekend fun car with the wife. I like to drive fast in the mountains of SoCal. I like to push the car's handling in the corners. But I also want to take the car on long road trips around CA and even UT & CO. I also like to drive around town a bit so I don't want a car that will throw a hissy-fit when I'm just dawdling around my neighborhood and cruising the local coffee shop. I know the Z06 is a great twisty road car but how well will it handle long, highway drives as well as grocery getting? Is it mainly best as a track car/twisty road car?

Appreciate all help, tips, comments, suggestions you guys have for me. Thanks all.

(snip)
5) I plan to use the car as a weekend fun car with the wife. I like to drive fast in the mountains of SoCal. I like to push the car's handling in the corners. But I also want to take the car on long road trips around CA and even UT & CO. I also like to drive around town a bit so I don't want a car that will throw a hissy-fit when I'm just dawdling around my neighborhood and cruising the local coffee shop. I know the Z06 is a great twisty road car but how well will it handle long, highway drives as well as grocery getting? Is it mainly best as a track car/twisty road car?

You've described exactly how my Wife and I use our 04 Z06.

It works well as a grocery getter and is outstanding on long trips. We've done two really long runs, the first, right after we bought it, from Bakerstown PA to West Covina CA and the second, last summer on the National Corvette Caravan were we went from Ontario CA, to Bowling Green, to Charlotte NC, to Chicago IL and then to Santa Barbara CA.

You won't have to spend $30k on a C5 Z, you can get them for $25k these days with low mileage.

Few things to look out for:

The T-56 6 speed is a weak link in these cars. Lots of cheap metal parts inside of that transmission. I replaced mine with an RPM IV trans.

Column lock. Check to see if the bypass has been done.

Rear tires are expensive and they wear down quick.:D

Stock shifter is horrible, that can be changed easily.

Even by today's standard, the C5 Z is still a pretty darn fast/quick car.

Thanks guys.

I won't be ready to pull the trigger on this until August. Also, I'm still trying to decide to go with C6 or C5 Z06. My brain says C5 Z06 because the money saved is significant while the performance is very close. I like both cars in terms of looks so the only other issue is the presence of a factory warranty. But then my heart says C6 because it's newer and it will have slightly more performance (that I would probably rarely if ever, tap).

The 2010 Grand Sport sure looks nice though.

This is going to be a tough choice.

Thanks guys.

I won't be ready to pull the trigger on this until August. Also, I'm still trying to decide to go with C6 or C5 Z06. My brain says C5 Z06 because the money saved is significant while the performance is very close. I like both cars in terms of looks so the only other issue is the presence of a factory warranty. But then my heart says C6 because it's newer and it will have slightly more performance (that I would probably rarely if ever, tap).

The 2010 Grand Sport sure looks nice though.

This is going to be a tough choice.

That's what I had considered before I bought my '03 Z. For me, I wanted the LS3, Z51, 3LT and 6M. Those factors priced the C6 just high enough so I would have to sell my Scion. I didn't want to do that as I wanted 2 cars. In retrospect, I'm glad I had 2 cars because the Scion has come in handy.

In terms of speed, I don't think the base C6 is that much faster/quicker than the C5 Z. But the refinement and creature comforts, such as heated seats & navigation, are what make the bigger differences, IMO.

So this week I spent some time looking around at what's available new and used. It's been a while since I looked at Corvette prices and I'm really liking what I see.

New of course is very nice. What struck me is that a new C6 is not that much more than when the C5's were new. Okay, the Z06 prices have jumped. I do remember back in 2004 when I went to look at the C5's at the dealerships, they were pushing $50k. Today, the new C6 is pretty much pushing $50 but they are at the level of the C5 Z06 in terms of performance. So if you factor in inflation and the forward march of performance and refinement, the price of Corvettes have actually come down! Not bad.

Here is the bummer for C5 Z06 owners in SoCal however. Many C5 Z06's are still in the high $20's to low $30's. It all depends on condition and mileage of course. The really nice, low mileage ones are around $30k or lower. There are quite a few Le Man's special edition versions with the Carbon Fiber hood and special paint with low miles. The bummer part is that these cars were $50k+ only five years ago! A few of them probably look new. I saw a couple with a mere 15k miles on them.

The good news is that C6 prices have dropped slighty closer to the C5 Z06 prices (I do use the word "slightly" in a loose fashion). Many low mileage examples are in the high $30's to low $40's. If you are willing to tolerate higher mileage examples, you can get one in the mid-$30's. So in general, C6's between 2007 & 2008 are about $10k more than their C5 Z06 counterparts. There are quite a few C6's out there between 2007 and 2008 with a mere 3,000 miles on them. Wow! What happened to these cars? Not driven at all? How can you not drive a C6? :L

It is definitely a buyer's market out there.

Are you willing to travel for the right car/deal? There seems to be lots of 'Vette's in Texas.

The problem is that you are comparing apples and oranges.

The C5Z06 is brute horsepower and torque and you experience it every time you turn the key (I know I do :)). Yet it can handle a long range trip comfortably (I have driven to the NCM in Ky. 3 times from Az, over 4200 miles round trip).

The C6 is more refined and smooth with almost as much horsepower, if not more. The newer ones have 430 hp I believe. More creature comforts, different option packages available.

The 2004 C5Z06 has all of the improvements as it being the last year of the C5Z06. There were a couple of recalls for suspension washers and a common problem is the passenger side window will quit working for no reason at all requiring a new motor/regulator (I know about this one personally). Other than that, no major problems with 34k miles on the clock.

Whatever you decide, run the vin through a dealership service department and get a history on the car to see what work was performed at a dealership.

Are you willing to travel for the right car/deal? There seems to be lots of 'Vette's in Texas.

I have absolutely no time off available to me. I used it up taking care of a sick parent. So I am not willing to travel outside of SoCal unless someone ships me the car. In addition, there is this weird, stupid law in CA about buying almost new cars out of state. Not 100% sure but one of its stipulations include the car can't be new unless it has at least 7k miles on it. This is so people don't buy a new car from another state that is not normally available in CA because it did not pass emissions.

CA is a Nazi when it comes to emissions controls. I hate the state when it does crap like that. The state is overun with environmentalists, PITA-like people, anti-gunners, and many of them are also anti-performance car. I think there is a possible regulation that is circulating that will make emissions testing mandatory on ALL cars including those over 30 years old. Currently, if your car is older than 30, you no longer have to have the bi-annual emissions inspection.

I digress....

The problem is that you are comparing apples and oranges.

I'm sure that the refinement of the C6 is much better than in the C5. But consider what I am currently driving! Either of these cars are going to be ultra-refined compared to my 1991 C4. :L

Currently, I am weighing in my options and taking into consideration insurance costs & yearly registration (CA has massive registration fees).

Overall, the C5 Z06 will cost less to own since it is older. I knew that going in. Although when I factor it in over a year to year costs, the difference is not that big. Maybe $600 less/year without the purchase price factor.

I'm not overly concerned with performance because I know both cars will deliver similar excitement levels. Not convinced about looks on either car because both are beautiful. Refinement is not that big a deal to me because of my current ride.

So right now, the bang for buck goes to C5 Z06. Bling factor goes to C6 because it's newer. In any case, it's fun to compare and shop around.

Sorry, but I beg to differ...

Bling factor goes to C6 because...
:cool​

2003chevycorvetteyellow.jpg

2003chevycorvetteyellow.jpg

:lou

That's just not fair! :D

It's getting close to August, have you made a decision yet?

I'll throw another wrench at you...the C5 Z06 came in hardtop only.

You're going to be happy whichever way you decide to go. Good luck!

Going to toss in my $0.02. Like many have said before, both cars are good. If it came down to it, i would probably go with a used C6 with the LS2 (or LS3 if you want a bit more power) with the Z51 handling package. Newer car, more refined version of the C5 as some may have described it.

Im sure you can find LS2, Z51, 6 speed manual, reasonable mileage C6 vettes for the same, or close to the price of a '04 Zo6. I would speculate that because the Zo6 is the "Top of the Line Performance" version of the C5, that insurance and registering would still be similar to a earlier base/Z51 C6. Again, final decision is yours, dont think you can go wrong either way.

I love my Z06. She has been reliable and a joy to own--no fluid leaks or seepage and all around a great car. I will probably only replace her with a c6 z06 in 3-4 yrs. That is the only car worthy of replacing her. I like that I will have a chance at experiencing both recent generations of zo6s if all goes well.

I'm already plotting for my C6 Z06. I'm thinking late next year or early 2012, I'm gonna go for it. But if I wait until I make Captain, I might even go for the ZR-1. :W

:wThe c5 Zo6 is very nice indeed!
You can find so many low mileage ones for a very good price if you shop and are patient. Shopping is half the fun!! .....and you will learn much about the vehicle.

My advice..... not always appreciated, is to find one with the lowest mileage and the MOST stock.

A stock car will usually hold its value better.
Now here's the "bad" advice: dont get caught up in the horsepower race. It will put you in the poor house.:beer

The C5Z is an incredible bargain in terms of performance, unique looks, and value. The car is a raw monster in bone stock form and even with external mods, ( aftermarket filter, tune, cold air mod ) 25-30 hp extra for the average person is probably more power than youll ever use on a regular basis. And youll see a lot more C6s on the road than C5Zs. And if you are a DIYer, its an easier car to work on than a C6. And its cheaper too in terms of replacement parts as well as performance parts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom