Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Third wheel bearing in 4 years

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
Any idea why I am getting ready to replace the rear drivers side wheel bearing for the third time in 4 years and only within 10k miles, noticed today while driving the obious SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE when stepping on the gas pedal. Car is an 85

Wheel Bearings

I have no idea.........I have a 96 with only 28,000 miles and have replaced the rears once, and both fronts twice. I do autocross the car, so that is my explanation for mine anyway. You cannot service the units, just replace em'

BTW: Rears are a real P.I.T.A. for me. damn torx heads fasteners tucked way up in by the "U" joints at the wheel.

Not cheap items either :mad especially newer C4's with the wheel speed sensors

I figured that, it would be a pita. Where in St Peters, my family left there in 92 to move to Orlando and work for the "Mouse" for 4 years before moving to Phoenix
We lived close to the Mall, It was built while we lived there

The rears are a "pain" but not that hard :eek:hnoes you just need patience, a few 3/8" socket universal joints, or better yet, a "wobbler" extension for 3/8" sockets. Not sure what they are really called, but it allows a small angle of swiviel action. There are 3 torx head bolts to take out, and worse yet, put back in :W which is the part that gives me fits. Of course you need to remove brake caliper, rotor, caliper mount, (carefull with parking brake cable).
Get the rear high in the air on jackstands, or a lift, and breath deeply.

St. Peters is soo much differnt now, population is huge. Subdivisions and 4 lane roads everywhere. I'm way west, Mexico Road towards Hwy-K south of O'Fallon really. You would be lost if you came back now!

Do not forget to pull out the ABS sensor. It blocks access to the back torx bolt.

While getting a lift put on the wife's Yukon today for her wheelchair, I went across the street to CnV Corvettes ( a large Vette selling place ) and asked one of the service guys about 3 bearings in 11k miles, he said they have to be shimmed in and greased well, didn't elaborate on it too much, I had the other 2 put in by shops, and was gonna try this one myself, anybody know about the shimming part ??

You shim C3 rear bearings. Never heard of shimming C4 rears. They are a sealed bolt-on assembly.

I'm about to do this myself for the second time. I have a set of Federal Mogul rear bearings on the bench waiting on me as well. My last replacement bearings lasted about 80K miles.

One thing to keep in mind when you're doing it is to use a coat of antiseize between the aluminum brake bracket and the knuckle. Otherwise it will creak like an old sailing ship when starting from a stop.... Been there.

good luck

Ok so no shim, then I'm back to my original question, why is this the third one in only 11k miles ?

Are you sure its bearings? Could it be the brakes dragging on the rotors?

Jack it up and try rocking the wheel left/right. They should be solid.

What brand bearings are you using?

good luck

Last one was from Autozone, don't remember the brand. The new one is from Pep Boys and it is a CR. I saw previous posts that said CR (Chicago Rawhide) was a good brand, so we shall see.:eek:hnoes

I am in the same boat with rear wheel bearings. I am fortunate to live near the Guldstrand shop, and took the car in to them. They identified excessive side play in the differential, and it was their opinion that was my problem. Well that, and the track days! :L

I had them repair the diffy, and we'll see how it goes this season.

Barry

They found that the bearing was going bad, so much for AutoZone bearings, but the main culprit was the right side rear U joints, they gave me a good discount and all is better now, if not for my syadic nerve in my back I would have done all myself, but my chiropractor said not do cause it could make my pain worse ( and I thought it couldn't get any worse).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom