Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

This ever happen to you?

66NICK98

Corvette
1966 Blue Conv, 1998 Black Conv.
Sunday was a beautiful day here in New Jersey to take the 66 out for drive.
The car loves the cool fall weather and yesterday's temp. didn't get over
60-65 degrees. Perfect.

I was on my way home when I heard something hit the bottom of the car near the driver's side seat. I know that sound....the sound of some nut or bolt shaken loose and dropped on the ground hitting the underneath of the car as it makes its way to the side of the road never to be found again.

Not a rock or stone though...they sound different...this sounds metalic. The
car didn't drive differently though but I slowed down just in case and got
back to the garage and put the car up on the ramps to take a look.

This has happened before with culprit ending up to the bolts holding the
side pipes to the exhaust manifold so this time that was the main suspect
even though I have loc-tite on the threads.

So I slip underneath the front of the car with the shop light and begin the inspection. All 6 bolts holding the sidepipes are there and secure. Great!!
And not great. I almost wish it was one of them since now I have to look for
something else.

Crawling under the car can bring so much mixed emotions...on the one hand
I love looking at the simplicity and beauty of this 40 year old car. But then
I spot more rust begining on the car and more moist areas where oil has
dripped to.....got to replace that gasket on the fuel pump...next time I change the oil I'm going to coat the threads on the oil pan bolt so it doesn't
drip...looks like I have to tighten up the valve covers....man, the steering
box looks like its dripping more oil now!!!

Anyway, after checking out the underside of the car I see nothing amiss.
I take the car out for a short run and everything is fine. Maybe it was a bolt I dropped by mistake and couldn't reach so I used another...maybe the previous owner dropped a bolt...maybe it was a rock after all.

I think not finding something wrong sometimes is worse than finding something....at least finding something, you can fix it and move on. Now
I'm going to have in the back of my mind "Did I miss something?"

There is a show this Sunday up in Paramus I intend to go to. Maybe I
should drive the 98 up there instead, i know nothing is going to be falling off of that car......I hope.

YUP

Same thing happend to me,

Must be those Jersey roads

Me and my Daughter were heading to the whiskey cafe when something flew off our car

Look for me at the show this week end, I will be there with the 62

Hey what exit do you live by

Allthough I am a New yorker I am about 35 minutes from the gardenstate plaza

Is anybody else from this forum going

Do you have a link to there web site we should post something in the north east section if its not allready there

IH2LOSE,
I live of 78 exit 40. GSPexit 142 (I think) don't use the parkway too much
anymore, usually 287.

The web site is classglasscorvette.com, go to news & events to read more
about the show.

Nick

Sounds to me like you may have kicked up a bolt or other metal "flotsam or jetsom", that was deflected by the left front tire, hitting under your seat.

I do about 200 miles a day on Jersey roads and from my elevated perch in the van see all kinds of stuff.

Sounds to me like you may have kicked up a bolt or other metal "flotsam or jetsom", that was deflected by the left front tire, hitting under your seat.

I do about 200 miles a day on Jersey roads and from my elevated perch in the van see all kinds of stuff.

I wish mine was "flotsam"

Mine was my shim pack,I thought it was my rear bumper bolt but no such luck,

Nope no flotsam

Shim pack

Some of the flotsam I oftern get from the ocean along the jersey barrier is good lengths of chains. I think from car carriers or equipment trailers.

Good binders and chains

A freind showed me where to look he used to call them metal snakes

Could be worse! My son and I were driving home from a local cruise in one Saturday night, about 9:30. Just before an overpass a loud bang, thunk, tinkle, tinkle! Some juvenile drop something off the overpass! Took out the driver mirror, small stress crack at the mirror base, left a nice 2" scuff on the door at the body line. Replaced the mirror, rubbed out, as best we could the scuff and wrote it off to road wear!

Could be worse! My son and I were driving home from a local cruise in one Saturday night, about 9:30. Just before an overpass a loud bang, thunk, tinkle, tinkle! Some juvenile drop something off the overpass! Took out the driver mirror, small stress crack at the mirror base, left a nice 2" scuff on the door at the body line. Replaced the mirror, rubbed out, as best we could the scuff and wrote it off to road wear!

Welcome to CAC

I would say thats a scary story

a couple of years ago we had these problems locally.

Thank goodness the so called "jokesters" were charged with attempted murder, with all of the local media covering this,it stopped real fast.

I still remember one of the suspects parent on TV explaining the media was blowing it all out of proportion, it was a simple prank that went wrong,

18lb cinder block off of a 30 foot bridge over a state highway,the driver lost her right eye because of glass. I would describe that as a teempted murder not a simple prank

Glad your OK

YUP

Same thing happend to me,

Must be those Jersey roads

Me and my Daughter were heading to the whiskey cafe when something flew off our car

Look for me at the show this week end, I will be there with the 62

Hey what exit do you live by

Allthough I am a New yorker I am about 35 minutes from the gardenstate plaza

Is anybody else from this forum going

Do you have a link to there web site we should post something in the north east section if its not allready there

On what road in NJ did this happen. I have lost 3 header bolts, 1 bellhousing bolt and assorted other items from the 67. Too much vibration, :D I will try and hit the Paramus show if time and weather permits. I was a the whiskey sat. Oct 7 with the 67 but sun was the day to be there.

Best regards,
Gerry

I had this recently and it WAS my manifold/sidepipe bolts. The car started backfiring horribly so I limped home and two were missing and one was loose. That noise you are talking about is definitely unique.

Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom