Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

this is true dedication and commitment

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
Was told yesterday when I dropped by the shop to check on Baby that she would be rolling into the paintbooth finally later in the afternoon (yesterday).
I went back today hoping to see color on her but she wasn't in the booth yet.

When I pulled up today, he was working on her still and nitpicking her to death. I hung out for about 30 minutes talking to him and watching him work. He sands for 5 minutes, stands back and studies the whole car, goes back to sanding, than studies it again, than more sanding, than more studying the body, than a tiny dab of filler material elsewhere and more sanding.........
He just refuses to roll her into the booth until he is sure that even the tiniest area that he is unhappy about get's fixed to how he feels it should be.
He's now "fixing' and working on areas that i'll be damned if I can see any flaws in but he can and until it's perfect he just won't spray her.

At first I was very upset and disappointed. At this rate I know i'll never make the shows I really wanted to go to with the car over the next 2 weeks but than I thought about it and calmed down a lot. There will always be more shows to go to and nice days to enjoy her, but the chance to get her done correctly is only once. All the extra work he is doing will be well worth it in the long run. I'm still extremely anxious to get the car back already, but at least I know that when I do get her back she will be looking as good as possible. considering the price i'm paying I sure did not expect anywhere near this level of work to be put into her so I can't complain too much. It's not very often you get more than you expect so i'm letting him do his thing and when he's done i'll get the car and not a minute before.
Who knows, I may get the car back the end of next week...............or next month!

On the bright side of things, with the price of h-test fuel now i'm saving a ton of money by not driving her! ;LOL

Barry,

The story you tell sounds like what a friend of mine went through last year when his Monte Carlo was being restored. The net result is that he tells me almost weekly how happy he is with the paint and body work. The waiting is difficult but it sounds like this may exceed your original expectations.

Thanks again for another entertaining update :upthumbs
Jeff

Sounds like it's going to be too nice to drive.

Better talk your wife into letting you buy another "driver" vette! :L

Jeff
the amount of work he has put into it has already exceeded my expectations and it doesn't even have paint yet.

glad I'm entertaining you! ;LOL

tigernut said:

nope, she is a driver and that's what i plan on doing with her! :)

we have already discussed another Vette - she wants a C4 for herself now so when the budget allows for it I guess that's the next one. Hopefully next year we can swing it

Hi! Barry

It sounds like you are getting your moneys worth with your painter. Craftsmen and quality is something that is hard to find.

I had my 65 painted by a friend. I am still de-nibbing, sanding and buffing out the finish. I am fixing flaws and other problems with the base coat-clear coat that I never thought it would need.

By reading all your posts I believe that you will be extremely happy with your 65 when it is done, there will always be more shows, but quality paint work is worth the wait.

Good luck

Ray

61 Silver said:
there will always be more shows, but quality paint work is worth the wait

yep, that's what i'm telling myself. I'd hate to make him rush himself and regret it later so i'm trying not too.

BarryK said:
nope, she is a driver and that's what i plan on doing with her! :)

we have already discussed another Vette - she wants a C4 for herself now so when the budget allows for it I guess that's the next one. Hopefully next year we can swing it

With the way the prices are dropping on the C5's you might be getting a C5 instead

Barry,

I sent your original post to the friend mentioned below and he gave me this response.

I did indeed enjoy this, it sounds just like my experience except for his
moment of clarity part. I guess I never calmed down enough to
see it in that light, but how very true!

You are ahead of the game if you can step outside of the project to appreciate the quality of work being done.

Jeff

JRMaroon said:
Barry,

The story you tell sounds like what a friend of mine went through last year when his Monte Carlo was being restored. The net result is that he tells me almost weekly how happy he is with the paint and body work. The waiting is difficult but it sounds like this may exceed your original expectations.

Thanks again for another entertaining update :upthumbs
Jeff

JRMaroon said:
Barry,

I sent your original post to the friend mentioned below and he gave me this response.

I did indeed enjoy this, it sounds just like my experience except for his
moment of clarity part. I guess I never calmed down enough to
see it in that light, but how very true!

You are ahead of the game if you can step outside of the project to appreciate the quality of work being done.

Jeff

the problem is, it's not always so easy on a lot of days to step back and think of it that way - especially warm sunny days like yesterday when I really would have loved taking the car for a nice drive..... but i'm trying!
:)

Barry,

Move to Western NY and you won't have the problem with the warm sunny days. Our restoration season runs about eight months a year.

Ray

Ray
in that case i'd still be about a month or so behind as this project is already at 9 months........

BarryK said:
Ray
in that case i'd still be about a month or so behind as this project is already at 9 months........

I know it's little comfort, Barry, but my project took 4.5 years. I didn't drive it for 20.

There's (sun)light at the end of the tunnel. :D

Bob
the 20 years it sat was nobodies fault but your own!
;LOL

and after the 4.5 years of working on it...........DAMN! what a beauty :BOW

Barry,
If you are like me some minor flaw(s) that no one else can see will give me the heebie-jeebies. I expect a few as my car is in a collision centre, not a Corvette speciality shop. So I may have an anal-retentive summer. Your fellow is good and he is close. Just a few days more.......BTW, it is raining and the furnace was on last night and this morning. I am not missing anything...yet.

Paul

that's EXACTLY why i'm trying not to rush him and just let him nitpick her to death. As you said, any minor flaw that we ended up with at the end would bother the hell out of me even if it's so minor nobody would know it's there except myself. When my impatience starts to get the better of me, that's just what I think about and it helps to bring me back to reality. The wait now will be worth it in the long run.
:)

tigernut said:

Hey now!
Honestly, he wouldn't have to do too much talking to convince me. I'd love to get a second Vette.
I can't wait to get Baby back either!

L

Damn! the wife found my hide-out. now I have to be careful what I say in here!
;LOL

A Corvette For Linda

hey Buddy..I was talking to an aquaintance at work last week who has a 1986 for sale. 350CI, 400 HP, 52,000 miles,Doug NAsh 7 speed,Street Cam, MSD ignition, High Pressure injectors, Tuned Port, New Rubber all around...The person who has the car for sale raced funny cars and built engines for 35 years!! Car is garage kept..you know the story..BABIED the car..Asking $10,500.00. Let me know if your interested. A 2 vette family....Hmmm, Sounds familiar!

Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom