Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thoughts please.....

indycallaway

Corvette
87 TT Black/Tan (#23)
The Nash OD unit needs rebuilt in my 87 TT..... I have seen many other non callaway owners put a ZF, Richmond, Tremec, etc in their cars... I worry about getting away from the "original" factor in my car for the sake of value, but have any of you done this swap? Pro's, Con's...... I am leaning towards keeping it original but transmissions have come a long way since 1987..... Thanks in advance!

RJ

The Nash OD unit needs rebuilt in my 87 TT..... I have seen many other non callaway owners put a ZF, Richmond, Tremec, etc in their cars... I worry about getting away from the "original" factor in my car for the sake of value, but have any of you done this swap? Pro's, Con's...... I am leaning towards keeping it original but transmissions have come a long way since 1987..... Thanks in advance!

RJ

do you have a small space in your garage ?

just drop the DN there and keep it with the car for originality.

I think the ZF6 is a perfect tune up for your car.

( based upon my own experience driving an 1985 Vette with DN compared to a 1990 ZR-1 with the ZF6)

my 1986 is an automatic, so it were just test drives

I would take the DN out and put in a direct bolt in Tremec It will handle the power the car produces with out the issues the DN has with the TT cars.A ZF is not a direct bolt in and mods have to be done to make it fit .

RJ

I agree w/ Jeroen - take the orig. out, bag & tag and store it.

Check this link out - everything, ready to go :lou

http://keislerauto.com/gm/corvette-c4-kits.html

corvette_84-88_kit_2004.jpg

I think Richmond had a 6 speed that is a complete bolt in unit for less than 3 grand.

I just read one of the responses that seller gave to a question and decided I like this guy hahaha
Q: Hi,I'm interested in installing this in my right hand drive Maverick,can you tell me how much WD-40 and silver paint I would need,also do you have an extra motor lying around that you could include if I'm lucky enough to WIN!,Herbert

A: well hello herbert! i think about 1.5 gallons of wd 40 and about uuummmohhh say 1 gallon of silver will do and yes i do have a motor that ill give you its a 5 horse briggs and straton that will be all the power you need to get started. you dont wanna rush things and i know your just now getting off the meds and the little bus
:L

I think Richmond had a 6 speed that is a complete bolt in unit for less than 3 grand.

I could be wrong but I think you have to cut the tranny tunnel to get it to fit. Not a big deal b/c a few sheets of fiberglass and seome resin will seal up the hole.

In a couple weeks, I am going to go and help out someone w/ their Keisler 5spd swap - I can report back about the process, if you are interested in that option. :cool

Yeah....let us know how it goes

Yeah....let us know how it goes

Day #1 of the swap - Trans and package/kit contents were VERY COMPLETE :cool

instructions were overly general and required a few tel. calls to their helpful tech support - which had closed by the last call...

Granted, we are changing from tha TH400 to a 5-spd, I suspect a DN4+3 would be cake compared to this swap :cool

...stay tuned for day #2 :D

Thanks!!!:beer

At the end of Day #2, I still have all my fingers (and toes). The Keisler kit for the Tremec 5 spd is a good one w/ all parts included - as long as you are not going from an auto to a manual - as in your case of a 4+3 to 5 spd, you would be fine :cool

It is VERY high quality and their tech support is VERY responsive :cool

Only "gripe" is the printed directions for our app., did not really cover the automatic to manual in every detail - had it not been for their tech support, it may not have been worthwhile to attempt.

It truly bolts in as they said it would and if it were my car, it would be right up at the top for ones to seriously consider.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask - I hope this indicates what you might expect :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom