Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Throttle Body Flow Booster (Air Foil)

D

dogfish246

Does the Throttle Body Flow Booster (Air Foil) work, or is it a scam? You know, the thing you screw into the throole body to "smooth the airflow". Has anyone had any experience with the product and what do you think?

For $25 it is worth the money if it works, but it seems too good to be true.

Any DYNO results?

Thanks for your imput!

Has been tested and makes a very small difference.. Search for it you will find test were done somewhere.. You would not notice any change ;shrug.

I installed one years ago on my LT4. I saw a smoother idle and felt a SOTP difference. I no longer use one because I have done other, more substantial mods to my engine.

SAVE THE :w!

I have the dyno test results conducted by TPIS using their air foil (they invented it). Minimal gains. Nets up the stock throttle body by no more than 30 cfms. So does it help? Yes. Is it over rated? Yes.

I have the dyno test results conducted by TPIS using their air foil (they invented it). Minimal gains. Nets up the stock throttle body by no more than 30 cfms. So does it help? Yes. Is it over rated? Yes.
:thumb.... :Steer

Agreed. I bought into the airfoil deal years ago on 2 of my C4s. At the time I would have told you that I 'felt' a difference in drivability but it was probably just my imagination. Considering the price, they are overrated.

I wouldn't say that the throttle body "airfoils" ( they really are a sort of "fairing") are a total scam but on a stock or near stock engine, they offer no useful performance increase.

Now, on an L98 modified such that airflow into the engine has been significantly increased, the "streamlining" or "smoothing" effect such a product has on airflow just ahead of the throttle plates might be a noticeable advantage.

Bottom line, if you're making 250-325 hp, I doubt you'd see anything useful. If you're making 350 or more, it might be worthwhile.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the imput! I see what all of you are saying!

my car had it when i got it. i guess the performance throttle bodies have them i just left it on mine

As you can see from the response most people consider it a scam but like Hib said if you are really moving a lot of air you will see a small gain.

Think about it what do you think flows best the flat piece in the center of the throttle body or one with the foil.
High performance throttle body's have them machined into them.

Would it be worth the money on a stock engine NO probably not but will it improve air flow the answer to that is a no brainier YES it will.

I'm going to disagree with the majority and say it's worth it. For as cheap as it is and comparing hp to $ it seems like a good buy. I'll be picking up one myself as it won't hurt the engine and every little bit helps.

Could you give us a detailed description of before and after horsepower improvement and any change in performance as well as any changes in mileage?

Thanks,

Paul

I had mine in there before i put the supercharger on..otherwise i would of been able to tell if i felt much difference..but pushing that much air i know it can't hurt ;)

I think everyone agrees that it helps.

For a mere $25, it's a no brainer. Go for it.

I read somewhere that back during the Corvette Challenge years, TPIS pioneered this fairing on the throttle body and it became one of the standard additions on all the Challenge cars. So why not put one on yours? If it's good enough for the Challenge Corvettes......

You know, this is like those open airbox air cleaner set ups. Does it help? You bet. Is there a noticeable gain? Not much but the engine seems to be more responsive. Is it a scam? No way! For the price it's a no brainer.

Same with the cat back exhaust. Does it help? Of course! Is there a noticeable gain? Absolutely! Is it a scam? NOT! For the price is it worth it? That's up to you since now we're talking $500 or over for a mere 5-7 hp!

Not a scam

I bought one, paid $25 for it, I noticed right off the idle was smoother, the throttle response was smoother and quicker. Being a older vette I would pump the gas to get her started and idle, not anymore just turn the key and she purrrr's. do I believe it adds 11 more hp probably not but it does make a difference. Totally satisfied with my purchase.

I bought one, paid $25 for it, I noticed right off the idle was smoother, the throttle response was smoother and quicker. Being a older vette I would pump the gas to get her started and idle, not anymore just turn the key and she purrrr's. do I believe it adds 11 more hp probably not but it does make a difference. Totally satisfied with my purchase.

Couple of questions, "Vette chaplain".

Before you put the "air foil" on, you were pumping the gas to start the car. What exactly does pumping the gas do during start up?

Also, when you had the throttle body off to install the air foil did you also clean it?

Air Foil

:thumb I have one on my vette and I say it makes a difference. Not that much but it feels smoother,I also have the smooth tubes front & back with the K&N so getting a LOT of AIR. Worth the $$$::upthumbs

I bought two of them and have been working on Polishing them up. I also bought smooth Intake tubes to clean up the air flow......I don't know it they work or not but clean air in should make a difference.

Karsten

If it so easy to get people to spend 25 bucks on two bucks worth of aluminum, I'm going into business making "air foils" for L98/LT1 throttle bodies.

I'll make them in anodized colors and package them with 8 of those E3 spark plugs.

Buy my kit and you'll get 50 more horsepower.

Oh...sorry...I just looked at the calendar. It's Feb 1st not April 1st
:chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom