Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Throttle Body

Dads C5

Corvette
1998 BLK/Torch Red Vert,Z06 wheels,K&N,BBK shorty
Will the throttle body off of a 2002 Z06 bolt up to a LS1 intake manifold?

If I remember correctly, they changed the intake in 2001. They are the same LS1 and LS6 in 01. Will the Z06 TB fit an earlier LS1 intake? I don't honestly know. If I were a guessing man I'd say "yes, it would physically fit". But, I would go on to say that you probably would not be able to take advantage of the swap without changing manifold and cam. Which is what Chevy did in 01.

If I remember correctly, they changed the intake in 2001. They are the same LS1 and LS6 in 01. Will the Z06 TB fit an earlier LS1 intake? I don't honestly know. If I were a guessing man I'd say "yes, it would physically fit". But, I would go on to say that you probably would not be able to take advantage of the swap without changing manifold and cam. Which is what Chevy did in 01.

Thanks Toms01. I have A '98 and I do in fact have the manifold W/injectors & TB off of an '02 Z06. I was told it is a pain in the a$$ to change the manifold. Do you know anything about swapping the manifold? I was told I would also have to swap the valley pan and cut a hunk of metal off my block to make the valley pan fit. Thanks for your info.

I don't know about changing the manifold but, I have a hard time believing that you would have to modify the block to do it though. I'm pretty sure they didn't make changes to the block and as far as the valley pan, unless it is the gasket or the LS6 manifold is way different, I'd think you could use it too.

I've watched threads about guys pulling the manifold to replace the oil pressure sensor and it doesn't look like that big of a deal to me.

The size of LS1 and LS6 throttle bodies are the same. There would be no performance advantage in installing the 01-04 LS6 TB on a 98 LS1.

There would be an advantage in using the LS6 intake manifold. It's worth about 10-hp when installed on an LS1.

The size of LS1 and LS6 throttle bodies are the same. There would be no performance advantage in installing the 01-04 LS6 TB on a 98 LS1.

There would be an advantage in using the LS6 intake manifold. It's worth about 10-hp when installed on an LS1.

Thanks Hib. That's why my friend gave it to me. Another person told me I would have to use the Z06 valley pan and I don't understand that since the Z06 manifold is flat on the bottom and my manifold is not flat. This person also told me to make the Z06 valley pan work, I would have to cut a hunk of metal off my block. I thought I could just swap them out. Thanks for any info you can give me.

The best way to get better airflow from a TB, IMHO, is a skillful porting. I got 9 or 10 horsepower from a ported OEM body. Prices vary wildly. I found the best price on an exchange body from Bare Essential Racing here in NC. They also stand behind all their sales like most others say they do, but really don't.

The HP figure I mentioned was independent dyno verified.

I really didn't explain the intake manifold issue fully.

In 2001, GM made an across-the-board change in intake manifolds. The revised intake manifold was part of the LS6 development but it was used on the LS1, too.

I believe to retrofit the second design intake to a 97-00 engine, you have to use the late valley cover and you have to relocate the knock sensors and perhaps make slight changes to the PCV system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom