Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle plate stick

gaC5

Corvette
1978 Silver Ann. 2014 Red Stingray
Has anyone that has done the throttle body bypass tube or bypassed the coolant to the throttle body have their throttle plate stick in the winter? I'm thinking about doing this to my 98 but it is a daily driver outside during the winter.

"0" increase in performance with this mod. waste of time,this mod came from the C-4s where the FI housing was aluminum and any heat in the TB was transferred to the FI housing causing a power loss. the C-5s have a plastic FI manifold which do not conduct heat and at full throttle the air passes through the TB so fast i would never pick up any heat.

Throttlebody by-pass

I've done the by-pass on my 94 and 99. I've never had the the throttle valve stick. The reason for the by-pass is to allow cooler air to enter the throttlebody, than you will normally have. With 170-220 degree water passing through it, you will wind up with an incoming air temperature rise that is a function of the cfm supplied, and the amount of btuh 170 degree water is giving you at a specific flow rate from the water pump. Example, If you apply heat to 40 degree air, you will wind up with a temperature that is more than 40 degrees. (THUS, A TEMPERATURE RISE.) If you do not apply heat, your incoming air temperature will remain the same, plus a few factors such as heat conducted from the engine compartment. Therefore, it also requires a few other mods. to have it worth doing. You would need to replace the stock MAF sensor with another that isn't conducting heat. Or, you also might relocate the MAT sensor somewhere downstream of the stock MAF in a location that will get a good reading of the incoming ambient air temperature that is not subject to heat. (less expensive) It would be a good idea to have control over your cooling fan start temperature, and going with a 160 degree thermostat is just going to help you. Cool air has a higher air density that is 02 rich, compared with warmer air. This all creates more horsepower. Now let's talk about more fuel and more spark crammed into the mix. Now we are getting somewhere with some horses. Every little bit helps. If you want to do the by-pass, then do it. You should know why you're doing it, then other kinds of mods. planned, will be more productive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom